CME requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madden007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I take a CME day from work to do online courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I take a CME day from work to do online courses?

You can take time off to do what you want.... As a resident.... Or as an attending. As a resident you do not need to worry about CMEs. If you need to take time off, you will either use vacation days or conference days if it is in your contract and how your program schedule your time off. Ask your program coordinator/director.

If you are an attending.... You will use your PTO days. You can do whatever that is allowed in the contract that you signed.

Why are you asking this question on a public forum when you have a contract that would/should answer your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At my work we get PTO (vacation/sick days) and 5 CME days, and it's ok for us to use CME days for online courses. It's not policed, they're not asking for a picture of me at some tropical destination hotel where a live conference is happening.

Reactions: 1 user
You can take time off to do what you want.... As a resident.... Or as an attending. As a resident you do not need to worry about CMEs. If you need to take time off, you will either use vacation days or conference days if it is in your contract and how your program schedule your time off. Ask your program coordinator/director.

If you are an attending.... You will use your PTO days. You can do whatever that is allowed in the contract that you signed.

Why are you asking this question on a public forum when you have a contract that would/should answer your question.
Thanks for replying. Most contracts provide employees with CME days in addition to vacation days. CME days are generally taken for conferences and the like. I wanted to know whether I can request CME days to stay home and complete online CME work. Might be facility specific but wanted to guage whether there's a national consensus or something.

Online / self study / conference to travel to, all count. Just be able to procure the CME certificates.

Some employers will want proof and will micro manage.

As a solo private practice doc, I take off any day I please, for any reason I please. Checked my contract .... and yep.... Approved!

Thanks for replying. Most contracts provide employees with CME days in addition to vacation days. CME days are generally taken for conferences and the like. I wanted to know whether I can request CME days to stay home and complete online CME work. Might be facility specific but wanted to guage whether there's a national consensus or something.

For most places, they don't care. They just need the registration info for the CEs you signed up for and they'll sign off on it

For most places, they don't care. They just need the registration info for the CEs you signed up for and they'll sign off on it
Which is one of those things I take issue with. We should be able to simply take a day off if you want. And instead complete the CME online on a different Saturday or Sunday. These are some of the softer draconian policies that are showing the slip into 'provider-dom' and that you are not a professional but a simple employee freely expended by the admin suits.

I don't see why not as long as you provide proof.... They can't and should not micromanage you. You are a doctor not an infant.

Which is one of those things I take issue with. We should be able to simply take a day off if you want. And instead complete the CME online on a different Saturday or Sunday. These are some of the softer draconian policies that are showing the slip into 'provider-dom' and that you are not a professional but a simple employee freely expended by the admin suits.

Well, I can do this. I have control over my schedule, so I'll often stack up evals, and if I want to work from home, or I'm pretty efficient, I just don't go in on Fridays. I totally agree with flexibility, one of the reasons I moved out of the VA, and one of the reasons I'm now transitioning into some PP work.