MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Absolutely apply to FM right now, and don't wait any longer. Since psych has become more "competitive" who knows what this year will look like for IMGs. If you have 0 interviews and 30% of programs have sent out interviews then that is a bad sign as an IMG applicant.

Being 1 week late for FM will not be a huge deal. But every week makes things exponentially worse, and shortly after October 1st I think it's a lost cause to add any more programs. I would add 20-30 FM programs just to be safe and to make sure you will have somewhere to work next year. Also it goes without saying, but apply to FM programs that have not extended interviews yet.

EDIT: Also how many psych programs did you apply to and what are the first two digits of your step 1 score?

Hey thanks for the response. Id rather pm you that info but it wont let me. And yea 20-30 is exactly what I was planning on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely neglected to assign my transcript to the programs I applied to until today. What should I do? Should I contact each program individually and let them know I am now complete?

I completely neglected to assign my transcript to the programs I applied to until today. What should I do? Should I contact each program individually and let them know I am now complete?
No. They’ll see it’s assigned when they recheck for Dean’s letters at the very least. Contacting them seems like overkill imo

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you able to see gender or race before offering an interview?
I believe so. You hear stories of OB/GYN programs only offering female applicants or being biased toward interviewing male applicants. But maybe they're just going off names.

This may be a really stupid question, but we rank every program we apply to, correct? Not just the ones we interview?

What's odd is that I've had PGY1s tell me they ranked everything, i.e. 100+ programs.

Well that was a waste of time/money. Theoretically you can rank programs you didnt even apply to...but programs arent going to rank applicants they didnt interview...I'd be wary of a program that did.

Well that was a waste of time/money. Theoretically you can rank programs you didnt even apply to...but programs arent going to rank applicants they didnt interview...I'd be wary of a program that did.

Wait, we get charged based on how many programs we rank too?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a really stupid question, but we rank every program we apply to, correct? Not just the ones we interview?
From my understanding you can rank anything.
But programs that didn’t interview you aren’t going to rank you so it wouldn’t matter.

Current Fees
  • Standard Registration Fee: $85
    • In the Main Residency Match, includes the listing of up to 20 unique program codes on the primary rank order list and up to 20 unique codes on all supplemental rank order lists combined.
  • Extra Rank Fee: For each program code ranked over 20, NRMP charges an extra rank fee of $30 per program code up to the maximum of 300 ranks
  • Late Registration Fee (Main Residency Match only): $50 additional after November 30
  • Couples’ Fee: $35 additional per partner
  • Length of Rank Order List Fee:For rank order lists with 100 or more ranks, the following additional charges apply:
    • 100-150 ranks: $50
    • 151-200 ranks: $100
    • 201-250 ranks: $150
    • 251-300 ranks: $200

Per NRMP website. So looks like you get 20 programs..then $30 for each additional program. Most wouldn't even consider going on 20+ interviews, so I doubt anyone will see this cost.

Last edited:
Current Fees
  • Standard Registration Fee: $85
    • In the Main Residency Match, includes the listing of up to 20 unique program codes on the primary rank order list and up to 20 unique codes on all supplemental rank order lists combined.
  • Extra Rank Fee: For each program code ranked over 20, NRMP charges an extra rank fee of $30 per program code up to the maximum of 300 ranks
  • Late Registration Fee (Main Residency Match only): $50 additional after November 30
  • Couples’ Fee: $35 additional per partner
  • Length of Rank Order List Fee:For rank order lists with 100 or more ranks, the following additional charges apply:
    • 100-150 ranks: $50
    • 151-200 ranks: $100
    • 201-250 ranks: $150
    • 251-300 ranks: $200

Per NRMP website. So looks like you get 20 programs..then $30 for each additional program. Most wouldn't even consider going on 20+ interviews, so I doubt anyone will see this cost.

If I apply to a program that offers both a categorical sport and an advanced spot, does that count as 1 unique program code or does it count as 2 unique program codes?

If I apply to a program that offers both a categorical sport and an advanced spot, does that count as 1 unique program code or does it count as 2 unique program codes?

I'm going to defer that question to someone who's been through the match process...but my educated guess would be 2, since each program has its own unique NRMP program code.

I'm going to defer that question to someone who's been through the match process...but my educated guess would be 2, since each program has its own unique NRMP program code.
That’s what it sounds like to me. Seems weird though because it only counted as one program when I applied to them.

Looking at the charting outcomes and there’s mention of “contiguous ranks”. Is that simply the number of programs you end up ranking? If so, what’s the point of calling them “contiguous”?

Looking at the charting outcomes and there’s mention of “contiguous ranks”. Is that simply the number of programs you end up ranking? If so, what’s the point of calling them “contiguous”?

I was curious too so I googled it, and apparently it means within the same specialty.

I mean you CAN, there’s no point since the only places that’ll rank you are places you interview at, but no one will stop you from ranking those programs.

So I know it’s really early for LOI but would it be worth sending an email to a program that I know for sure filters based on geography, if I have ties to the region but it’s not anywhere in my app?

So I know it’s really early for LOI but would it be worth sending an email to a program that I know for sure filters based on geography, if I have ties to the region but it’s not anywhere in my app?
Out of curiosity, how do you know which programs screen for location for sure?

Got an interview invite tonight at 9:30p IT'S SUNDAY I THOUGHT WEEKENDS WERE PROTECTED FROM THE INTERVIEW SCHEDULING MADNESS :dead:

Reactions: 9 users
ITT: The Art of the Panicbrag

Reactions: 4 users
It's 2.

Psych, USMD with no red flags, average STEP 1 and no interviews yet. When to worry? October 1st? Now?

Psych, USMD with no red flags, average STEP 1 and no interviews yet. When to worry? October 1st? Now?

Hey Neb, I’m applying psych too. While I wouldn’t recommend the overall thread about 2019-2020 Psychiatry Interviews (because it’s stressful seeing which programs have sent out invites) I thought PsychApp777 had a reassuring comment:

I received all of my invites between early October and early December.

None in September.

Ended up with more than 20.

And on March 11th I saw the beautiful words “Match results: Congratulations, you have matched!”.

Don’t panic.

So yeah maybe mid October is panic time, but definitely not before

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Neb, I’m applying psych too. While I wouldn’t recommend the overall thread about 2019-2020 Psychiatry Interviews (because it’s stressful seeing which programs have sent out invites) I thought PsychApp777 had a reassuring comment:
So yeah maybe mid October is panic time, but definitely not before

Thanks man. As I was posting, I just got an invite.

Reactions: 11 users
I got an invite today at a program I just started an AI at which is cool, but I’d like a few that I’m not associated with please :dead:

Reactions: 7 users
I got an invite today at a program I just started an AI at which is cool, but I’d like a few that I’m not associated with please :dead:

Be thankful, some people did an AI and didn’t get interviewed by them.

Reactions: 4 users
Got two interviews today and I just want to inject that feeling straight into my veins. The panic never ends ladies and gents, stay anxious.

Reactions: 6 users
For scheduling interviews, if you’re step 2 is pending and there is a possible risk of failure, is it better to schedule an interview early (will have score back) or later on after you’ve retaken it (but probably without a score back though)?

For scheduling interviews, if you’re step 2 is pending and there is a possible risk of failure, is it better to schedule an interview early (will have score back) or later on after you’ve retaken it (but probably without a score back though)?

If you fail you fail. They’ll find out eventually.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say so. I think Oct. 3rd or 4th, if you are not getting any interviews and you applied to many programs including safeties and other ppl are getting those interviews, it's time to add more programs and start sending letters of intent.

Even if you interview, if you fail they could easily just not rank you. It doesn’t matter.

Well.. easy thing is dont fail. Avoid this scenario.

If a program sent out invites but I didn't get one, does that mean I won't get an invite from that program this round? Or could the program send out more invites later on?

If a program sent out invites but I didn't get one, does that mean I won't get an invite from that program this round? Or could the program send out more invites later on?

Some do send in waves i’ve noticed. Ive gotten invites that only had october dates, gonna assume that isn’t all they interview. You might be in the waiting pile in case other candidates withdraw.

It sucks when you get passed over, but it doesn’t mean you’re done for.

Program can send out more later on.

Hey my img friend wants to write email to PDs--any advice for her? I'm not applying yet.

I am Bob Smith one of the applicants for ______ at ————————————————————— at —————— Program / _______Residency Program for this season's match cycle. I am writing you this email because I am so interested and deeply wish to get an interview opportunity at your program and hopefully become one of your future residents.I was wondering if you can further review my application. I understand that there is a huge number of applicants, and the selection process is highly competitive but I don't have any other way to make an attempt to get this interview chance. I worked so hard to get such an opportunity and I promise that I will prove that I deserve it. I applied only for _________ medicine and I have 4 letters of recommendation from internists and more than 1 and a half year of hands on experience and observerships in different hospitals and clinic in US.

• Wow
Hey my img friend wants to write email to PDs--any advice for her? I'm not applying yet.

I am Bob Smith one of the applicants for ______ at ————————————————————— at —————— Program / _______Residency Program for this season's match cycle. I am writing you this email because I am so interested and deeply wish to get an interview opportunity at your program and hopefully become one of your future residents.I was wondering if you can further review my application. I understand that there is a huge number of applicants, and the selection process is highly competitive but I don't have any other way to make an attempt to get this interview chance. I worked so hard to get such an opportunity and I promise that I will prove that I deserve it. I applied only for _________ medicine and I have 4 letters of recommendation from internists and more than 1 and a half year of hands on experience and observerships in different hospitals and clinic in US.

She is begging. This isnt a good look.
A better idea is to personalize letters and say WHY that program.

Reactions: 10 users

Gross. No.

Reactions: 9 users

1. English/grammar in this needs work
2. If I were a PC I would just delete this
3. All they should say is whether they’re done doing invites or say why them.
4. That last paragraph is completely unnecessary. Pretty much everyone has experience and letters, they can see that. They can also see if the letters are good or not. The “why me” sounds very entitiled.

Also not to mention - it shows the writer in a very bad light. Like you are out of touch with reality of US professionalism standards or the reality of match, that you think that this is acceptable. This is not acceptable in ANY JOB.

It also makes the reader appear to have bad judgement--- > someone you don't want on your team...

The problem is that this person wants a spot literally ANY SPOT anywhere and no strong reason where or why other than it's a job/career/etc.

I think there is some idea in certain misinformed IMG community that someone will take them, but ALL SPOTS are competitive. All receive many applicants. I have one IMG friend who knows somone who applied for match 4 times, got rejected 3 times and got in 4th. He has heard that applying in OCt is not too late lol.
I told him that even for us US grad, we are told that if u don't match first time, your chance of matching again drop to 44%~ (quoted by my not-impressive school). So why do you want to built a career based on a unicorn/once in a while thing? I understand desperation but these poeple work hard and then shoot themsleves in the foot....which we all are prone to do.