MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some do send in waves i’ve noticed. Ive gotten invites that only had october dates, gonna assume that isn’t all they interview. You might be in the waiting pile in case other candidates withdraw.

It sucks when you get passed over, but it doesn’t mean you’re done for.
I feel like this might be misleading. Just because a program is sending out interviews it doesn’t mean they aren’t sending them out in some specific order. Like scores plus regional preference, then research plus whatever.
I feel not getting the first batch of interviews doesn’t necessarily mean that they passed someone over.
I mean in reality none of us really know what is going on as far as how they choose things.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like this might be misleading. Just because a program is sending out interviews it doesn’t mean they aren’t sending them out in some specific order. Like scores plus regional preference, then research plus whatever.
I feel not getting the first batch of interviews doesn’t necessarily mean that they passed someone over.
I mean in reality none of us really know what is going on as far as how they choose things.

When i said passed over i meant more so for the first batch..

Looks like a local program is sending out IVs and i didnt get one.. hoping it was just me not getting first batch

Reactions: 1 user
When i said passed over i meant more so for the first batch..

Looks like a local program is sending out IVs and i didnt get one.. hoping it was just me not getting first batch
Yeah I understand. I think we might be over analyzing the process.
I’ve gotten interviews from regional programs that are at the same “level” as some other programs which according to the spreadsheet have sent out some interviews. I’m not stressing because I really believe that there are regional considerations to which applications they review first. But anyways that’s just my theory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I understand. I think we might be over analyzing the process.
I’ve gotten interviews from regional programs that are at the same “level” as some other programs which according to the spreadsheet have sent out some interviews. I’m not stressing because I really believe that there are regional considerations to which applications they review first. But anyways that’s just my theory.

FOREVER STRESSED

Reactions: 2 users
side eye.jpg

Me looking at the local program that gave out their second round of invites today and I still wasn't included

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Bought a suit today. Here's hoping I get some interview invites to go with it. :sour:

Reactions: 7 users
Hey my img friend wants to write email to PDs--any advice for her? I'm not applying yet.

I am Bob Smith one of the applicants for ______ at ————————————————————— at —————— Program / _______Residency Program for this season's match cycle. I am writing you this email because I am so interested and deeply wish to get an interview opportunity at your program and hopefully become one of your future residents.I was wondering if you can further review my application. I understand that there is a huge number of applicants, and the selection process is highly competitive but I don't have any other way to make an attempt to get this interview chance. I worked so hard to get such an opportunity and I promise that I will prove that I deserve it. I applied only for _________ medicine and I have 4 letters of recommendation from internists and more than 1 and a half year of hands on experience and observerships in different hospitals and clinic in US.

As others have said - this letter is just bad and would hurt your friend’s chances rather than help. What I did for these sorts of emails was introduce myself briefly and express interest in interviewing at the program by highlighting a particular interest I had at their program (ex., if I were really interested in cancer research, I’d highlight their cancer center and some of the researchers I’d be interested in working with).

Everyone worked hard for this moment. The majority of people applying to IM only apply to IM. Most applicants have US experiences. None of that makes this person appealing as an applicant. It doesn’t help that this is a letter than can easily be copy-pasted for various programs rather than being personalized.

In my experience, emails requesting interviews have a low chance of working in general, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much either way.

If a program sent out invites but I didn't get one, does that mean I won't get an invite from that program this round? Or could the program send out more invites later on?

Most programs send out interviews in waves. I have had a couple programs that sent out invites last week, but I didn't get one until this week. It varies by program. Some programs also offer enough interviews to fill waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone here have any RED flags (not related to board scores)? Ie. failed a class or so in preclinical years, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here have any RED flags (not related to board scores)? Ie. failed a class or so in preclinical years, etc?
Heyyyyy why doesn’t my board failure count? Don’t try and kick me out of the red flag club :rofl:

Got 260+ on ck, should i update programs through email or is eras update enough?

• Love
Before going to medical school, my husband worked extensively in medical education at a large, highly reputable, east coast hospital. Although this was 5+ years ago, his program only frowned upon preclinical failure when it 1. happened MORE than once (you didn't learn from your mistake), 2. resulted in a board failure (i.e. when it came time to know your ****, you didn't). He rotated through lots of specialties during his years, but what he always tells fellow neurotic med students is one particular story: "I was running late to a meeting and a particular PD told me to hurry up. I told him I was busy running through the transcripts and he said "Who gives a crap about grades people at Upenn can fail 4 classes and I'd never know while someone at Rutgers can fail 1 and it's plastered on the first page".

Meanwhile, there is a guy at my school with 3 , count it 3, board failures and has 6 interviews...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Oh lawd. Why would anyone do that to themselves lol.

I actually found it to be really helpful for my anxiety when I applied? Knowing which programs had sent out interviews meant I wasn’t agonizing over not getting interviews prematurely. But everyone’s different.

I actually found it to be really helpful for my anxiety when I applied? Knowing which programs had sent out interviews meant I wasn’t agonizing over not getting interviews prematurely. But everyone’s different.

Agreed. I'm also using it to gauge when/whether I should e-mail schools outside of my region (mostly where I applied) to let them know I have ties there. No point in jumping the gun if it looks like they are waiting for MSPE for everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
....what he always tells fellow neurotic med students is one particular story: "I was running late to a meeting and a particular PD told me to hurry up. I told him I was busy running through the transcripts and he said "Who gives a crap about grades people at Upenn can fail 4 classes and I'd never know while someone at Rutgers can fail 1 and it's plastered on the first page".

Meanwhile, there is a guy at my school with 3 , count it 3, board failures and has 6 interviews...

Agreed.

I would say that my school and the admin liked to have an idea about what a doctor-to-be should be.
They gave me alot of anxiety and self doubt, especially being a first-generation college student and first-gen graduate school student. If you dont do well in MS-1-2 -- > a good score on board is out of reach. So not true. Esp now that that I see my classes/school curriculum had very little to do with board prep/knowledge integration.

I remember at end of MS-2 right before boards, at the easy stat/bio/epi exam - telling the admin over MS-2 that I am not well, haven't slept for 4 days straight and him telling me to brush it off, there are no options, come take the test. Thankfully I trusted myself and did the right thing for myself.
This is really crazy , but I wouldn't report hiM, I would be quiet and put my head down adn get outta this @#R@# place asap.

FIRST INTERVIEW INVITE YOU GUYS MY PITY PARTY IS OFFICIALLY OVER. :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 28 users
Is it a disadvantage to interview at the end of January because all the other dates were filled up?

Is it a disadvantage to interview at the end of January because all the other dates were filled up?

Based on what I've read on this site, no. Reminder that this is time and energy on their part too, they probably wouldn't "waste" faculty time and energy to interview candidates that they weren't going to consider ranking. I don't think schools would set up those later dates if they thought they weren't going to yield anything, if that makes sense.

I think only disadvantage is potential to be very tired/burnt out by the time this interview rolls around

Do they really read our MSPE?

I would love for someone to actually read my noteworthy characteristics. But I've heard that they just check your honors and ranking...

Do they really read our MSPE?

I would love for someone to actually read my noteworthy characteristics. But I've heard that they just check your honors and ranking...

Aren’t the honors grades already on our transcripts? Or are transcripts preclinical only?

Aren’t the honors grades already on our transcripts? Or are transcripts preclinical only?

Your school doesnt have you look over them first? Mine made us. But, my transcript at M1, M2, M3, and two M4 grades on it

Your school doesnt have you look over them first? Mine made us. But, my transcript at M1, M2, M3, and two M4 grades on it

No, that would have been nice. They had us look over the MSPE though.

No, that would have been nice. They had us look over the MSPE though.

I saw my MSPE too. It only had clinical grades on it (we’re pass/fail preclinical). Of course, they dont let us see our quartile rank.

My MSPE says my school has no ranking.

Mine sort of does in the sense that they say we’re excellent down to good as an applicant

I wish schools would let the students know what these "code phrases" meant haha. I know PDs know what they mean but why all the secrecy for us applicants lol.

I wish schools would let the students know what these "code phrases" meant haha. I know PDs know what they mean but why all the secrecy for us applicants lol.

I listened to a podcast on this kind of stuff, and they said that phrases like "excellent" and "solid" are apparently bad lol. I don't want to post too much in y'all's thread though. I'm praying you all match your #1. Edit for clarity: I think they were referring specifically to LORs now that I think about it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I listened to a podcast on this kind of stuff, and they said that phrases like "excellent" and "solid" are apparently bad lol. I don't want to post too much in y'all's thread though. I'm praying you all match your #1.

Oh my, if "excellent" and "solid" are bad then who the heck even knows what anything means anymore All we can do is our best at this point ha!

• Haha

Considering my school uses four of them, theyre definitely quartiles and they put the scale on the MSPE

Never thought id be in this position, but now i just dont know where to put interviews...
i havent heard back from most of my local programs, but, when trying to avoid back-to-back days but at the same time staying compliant with my school’s absence policy, im struggling.

Never thought id be in this position, but now i just dont know where to put interviews...
i havent heard back from most of my local programs, but, when trying to avoid back-to-back days but at the same time staying compliant with my school’s absence policy, im struggling.
A good problem to have haha!

Find solace in the knowledge that, statistically, you’re almost certain to match.

A good problem to have haha!

Find solace in the knowledge that, statistically, you’re almost certain to match.

It is a comfort, admittedly.
Just helps that with the crap show my life as become lately, i have SOMETHING good happening to me

It's one stress after the other, I'm right there with you.

My school did:
Outstanding>excellent>superior>very good>good

Each school has their own scale, and specifies it on the MSPE to make sure there's no confusion about where you lie in class rank.

My school did:

Each school has their own scale, and specifies it on the MSPE to make sure there's no confusion about where you lie in class rank.
This. It's definitely not standardized. My school uses even different, weirder terms, but it shows which one corresponds to which quartile on the MSPE.

My school did:

Mine is similar with the exception of superior i think

Yeah mine only has Honors>high sat>sat and even though exams dont count for much, they have a minimum for each category. So my clinical evals could be 5/5 and I get a 71 on the exam, thats a sat. My MSPE also isnt finished and I lost my home program as well as a bunch of rotations and about 1,000 dollars this year 2/2 to Joel Friedman. Chaos.

Yeah mine only has Honors>high sat>sat and even though exams dont count for much, they have a minimum for each category. So my clinical evals could be 5/5 and I get a 71 on the exam, thats a sat. My MSPE also isnt finished and I lost my home program as well as a bunch of rotations and about 1,000 dollars this year 2/2 to Joel Friedman. Chaos.

Lol fellow Drexel student!