MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we serious? What if the interview invites come in when I am driving? I will need at least a few mins to safely get off of the road to respond. Is this for real? Can someone who have gone through this process before or any PD or PC can shed some light whether it is that insane ?

This definitely isnt a new problem if you read older threads. Apparently OB is notorious for this

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This definitely isnt a new problem if you read older threads. Apparently OB is notorious for this
WAS notorious. This year ACOG came out and recommended that programs only send as many invites as they have spots. They give those invites 3 days to respond. They also recommended sending out invites starting Oct 8. I've had 5-6 programs reach out and explain that they'll be following the ACOG recommendations. So it's getting better

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WAS notorious. This year ACOG came out and recommended that programs only send as many invites as they have spots. They give those invites 3 days to respond. They also recommended sending out invites starting Oct 8. I've had 5-6 programs reach out and explain that they'll be following the ACOG recommendations. So it's getting better

I saw the new ACOG recs, which is really great!

Not at all trying to humble brag...
But, i just got my 8th IV. Obviously scheduling everything that comes my way right now. Going forward, how should I prioritize? Is it too early to cancel programs im less interested in? I was dumb and applied to 45 programs lol

Reactions: 1 users
But, i just got my 8th IV. Obviously scheduling everything that comes my way right now. Going forward, how should I prioritize? Is it too early to cancel programs im less interested in? I was dumb and applied to 45 programs lol

My strategy is...I'm scheduling my top programs for Mid November/early Dec....middle programs for late October..and less desirable for late December and onwards, that way I can cancel those if I get interviews from programs I'm more interested in.

Reactions: 2 users
My strategy is...I'm scheduling my top programs for Mid November/early Dec....middle programs for late October..and less desirable for late December and onwards, that way I can cancel those if I get interviews from programs I'm more interested in.

Okay, ive been doing something similar so far

Got an invite while I was running on the treadmill at the gym. Sprinted off the treadmill, drove home as fast as I could, ran up the stairs... to schedule. Now I feel like I have to have my computer with me at all times lol. #stressss

Reactions: 4 users

Wow that's great! How many interviews do you guys plan to go on?

Wow that's great! How many interviews do you guys plan to go on?

Magic number is 12 isnt it?
Im waiting to hear from some more programs closer to home still. So i have wiggle room lol
45 programs was too many

Are we serious? What if the interview invites come in when I am driving? I will need at least a few mins to safely get off of the road to respond. Is this for real? Can someone who have gone through this process before or any PD or PC can shed some light whether it is that insane ?
I think it just might be my field :(
Got an invite while I was running on the treadmill at the gym. Sprinted off the treadmill, drove home as fast as I could, ran up the stairs... to schedule. Now I feel like I have to have my computer with me at all times lol. #stressss
don’t have a smart phone?

Is there a specific reason people are rushing to a computer? Eras works on my phone, but the only interview I’ve had so far was straight through email. ‍♀️

Is there a specific reason people are rushing to a computer? Eras works on my phone, but the only interview I’ve had so far was straight through email. ‍♀

Ive been scheduling through my phone. Computer is easier, but phone is there if i need it

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a specific reason people are rushing to a computer? Eras works on my phone, but the only interview I’ve had so far was straight through email. ‍♀️

I had no idea the thalamus thing works on the phone?
I’ve only gotten that and interview broker so far.

how fast should you sign up for an interview after an invite when theyre giving you 5+ dates. Kind of wanted to wait at least until next week

What are the scheduling interfaces besides ERAS programs are using? Probably would be advantages to make a list and pre-register, yeah?

how fast should you sign up for an interview after an invite when theyre giving you 5+ dates. Kind of wanted to wait at least until next week
I'd honestly just schedule for a later date, just in case. That way you can still cancel later. You don't want to risk losing the interview without having other interviews lined up. Just my 2 cents

What are the scheduling interfaces besides ERAS programs are using? Probably would be advantages to make a list and pre-register, yeah?

Thalamus and Interview broker.

You dont have to pre-register (or register at all) with interview broker.

Idk anything about Thalamus

Does anyone have any theories (OR FACTS) on how programs tend to prioritize who to schedule first for an interview?

Got my first interview today, was reply to this email and we will discuss dates.

Reactions: 9 users
Me, today, when my attending asked if I had any interviews yet.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 8.59.20 AM.png

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Does anyone have any theories (OR FACTS) on how programs tend to prioritize who to schedule first for an interview?
i would guess programs tend to let students from that program's medical school schedule first. at least that's what mine is doing - and then waiting for MSPEs to extend other invites.

did not mean for this to sound like a humble brag T_T

Last edited:
i would guess programs tend to let students from that program's medical school schedule first. at least that's what mine is doing - and then waiting for MSPEs to extend other invites.

did not mean for this to sound like a humble brag T_T
It didn’t.

p sure there is an effort/policy to not overextend invites this year according to an AAMC email I received. it's a recognized problem. I believe this was a mass e-mail sent to whatever address you entered in ERAS.

I think only certain dates are opened for these early invites so if there's "space running out" it's because they have more dates for later invites. highly skeptical of people saying that programs have already run out of spots without applications even being complete...

let's all just take a deep breath! we r gonna be great. support panic tho :). I should clarifying I'm applying in IM.

Last edited:
So is it safe to assume that weaker programs are the one's that over invite and tend to run out of interview dates? One of my lower end programs ran out of slots in 5 min and I had to waitlist, while 2 of my strongest programs are still sitting there with every interview date available.

I've also seen the opposite, so I would say no. I think it just depends on program style, it looks like some are literally handing out interview invites one at a time/in veryyy small batches.

disclaimer: applying FM, so no idea what goes on in the other specialties

I just got another interview...

But why cant i be happy? Im struggling hardcore right now with stress, depression, and burnout.

• Sad
I just got another interview...

But why cant i be happy? Im struggling hardcore right now with stress, depression, and burnout.
I’d reckon it’s because you’ve been stressed, depressed and burnt out with school for a while and that kind of thing doesn’t change on a dime. At least that’s how I feel with my interviews coming in.

Also, getting interviews means you have to interview, which is stressful lol

I’d reckon it’s because you’ve been stressed, depressed and burnt out with school for a while and that kind of thing doesn’t change on a dime. At least that’s how I feel with my interviews coming in.

Also, getting interviews means you have to interview, which is stressful lol

It sure is lol
And i sucked at it while interviewing for med school

But for real, these feelings are dragging me down.

Last year, my home PD told me that for our program, she prioritizes applicants from our med school, then applicants who did aways there, and then evaluates the remainder of the applications in order of time submitted. But that's just one PD for one program in a small field, so who's to say how others go about it?

Also -

I had no idea the thalamus thing works on the phone?
I’ve only gotten that and interview broker so far.

There's a thalamus app you can download, but it's probably easier just to sign up on a computer, honestly.

My home program invited two home students and spoiler...neither of them were me. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
It sure is lol

Why do you feel like you sucked? U got here for a reason ya know. Keep your head up.

It sure is lol

Ask your Student Affairs Dean for a mock interview with a PD in another (but similar) specialty.

Question: Would it be a waste of money to add some FM programs for insurance, at this point? Id be able to submit tonight. I'm a USIMG if that matters.

Ask your Student Affairs Dean for a mock interview with a PD in another (but similar) specialty.

The only mock interviews they offer is via webcam and apparently you critique yourself?

• Wow
The only mock interviews they offer is via webcam and apparently you critique yourself?
This is not a mock interview.
Make an appointment with your SA Dean and express what you have told us here.
Tell us what happens.

All I can think of is Andy on "the office" - that play was BAD. this food is BAD. this interview is BAD.

EDITED to say - I was not in anyway making fun. I'm saying that if I had to "critique" myself that would legitimately be the summation of what I could come up with :)

• Haha
I didn't realize that psych had tons of movement early on. I wouldn't react yet. Do you want to really deal with dual-applying when MSPEs haven't even gone out yet? Hang in there, that's my vote anyway.

I guess my concern is that the longer I wait, the higher the chance of any apps I send out for FM not even getting looked at. Psych does have a lot of early movement though, according to the reddit spreadsheet, over 30% of programs have sent out invites already. Im looking to get at least 10-15 interviews to have a good shot at matching. The extra couple hundred dollars would be worth it to me if it nets me a few more interviews. The only reason I wouldn't do it is if it would be a waste of money applying a week after eras opens.

I guess my concern is that the longer I wait, the higher the chance of any apps I send out for FM not even getting looked at. Psych does have a lot of early movement though, according to the reddit spreadsheet, over 30% of programs have sent out invites already. Im looking to get at least 10-15 interviews to have a good shot at matching. The extra couple hundred dollars would be worth it to me if it nets me a few more interviews. The only reason I wouldn't do it is if it would be a waste of money applying a week after eras opens.

How many interviews do you have so far? Any red flags? Are you competitive for psych in the region you’re applying? I would consider these elements. Also MSPE hasn’t been released you will likely get more interviews after that.

If it will give you peace of mind to apply to a couple fam med programs and you have the finances to, I’d say go for it. I guess u could always cancel later if need be.

How many interviews do you have so far? Any red flags? Are you competitive for psych in the region you’re applying? I would consider these elements. Also MSPE hasn’t been released you will likely get more interviews after that.

If it will give you peace of mind to apply to a couple fam med programs and you have the finances to, I’d say go for it. I guess u could always cancel later if need be.

I have 0 interviews. As far as red flags, I am an IMG and my grades arent great but no failures or professionalism issues, all USMLEs except step 3 taken. Finances are ok, but I'd rather not throw money away if programs arent going to consider/look at my app because I applied 5 days after the 15th.

I have 0 interviews. As far as red flags, I am an IMG and my grades arent great but no failures or professionalism issues, all USMLEs except step 3 taken. Finances are ok, but I'd rather not throw money away if programs arent going to consider/look at my app because I applied 5 days after the 15th.

Absolutely apply to FM right now, and don't wait any longer. Since psych has become more "competitive" who knows what this year will look like for IMGs. If you have 0 interviews and 30% of programs have sent out interviews then that is a bad sign as an IMG applicant.

Being 1 week late for FM will not be a huge deal. But every week makes things exponentially worse, and shortly after October 1st I think it's a lost cause to add any more programs. I would add 20-30 FM programs just to be safe and to make sure you will have somewhere to work next year. Also it goes without saying, but apply to FM programs that have not extended interviews yet.

EDIT: Also how many psych programs did you apply to and what are the first two digits of your step 1 score?