MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anddd...
while doing something completely relaxing, im starting to feel panicked i’ll match in my 10-16. These next two weeks will be brutal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the website has crashed in previous years during match day? Like what are the chances we won’t find out for hours if we choose to skip our schools ceremony.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the website has crashed in previous years during match day? Like what are the chances we won’t find out for hours if we choose to skip our schools ceremony.
No idea. It might be worse.. just heard Columbia cancelled its match day.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
It sure would be a shame if all those healthy medical students hung out together. What’s next? Are they going to shut down the hospitals? Ban their students from using the subway?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if schools will cancel graduation this year. That would be a real bummer

We have an entire week of events....
We do too :meh: I don't mind the rest of the week's events, but can't they just leave me the eff alone to cry in peace when we get the email about matching???

My school is preventing guests from coming to Match day with a possibility of just cancelling it. It will be kinda funny of they mail it.

Reactions: 1 user
My school is preventing guests from coming to Match day with a possibility of just cancelling it. It will be kinda funny of they mail it.
I’m curious what the students’ opinions are of their school cancelling or considering cancelling their match day ceremony? Do students support it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m curious what the students’ opinions are of their school cancelling or considering cancelling their match day ceremony? Do students support it?
The only reason I’m going is to open early before it’s online. If they cancel I can still be with my classmates and family.

We’re allowed two guests but i havent actually heard any musings on cancelling it. Thankfully.

There aren't any actual news of these cancellations that I can find online though... is this just rumor or do people actually attend the schools and have been told they're cancelled?

I think it is absolute BS to cancel it. Cmon... for real. The dangers are far overblown, like America fretting over ebola in 2015.

That said, I won’t be going to our school’s match day LOL

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t we get an email as well?

Yes, you do. And it usually comes before 1PM, so you don't need to log into the website at all.

It went down for soap last year, but not match day.

I believe it was just ERAS that crashed, not the NRMP site

There aren't any actual news of these cancellations that I can find online though... is this just rumor or do people actually attend the schools and have been told they're cancelled?
Friend of a friend

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why schools are canceling?
Well, the students aren't in the age range to get seriously ill in case of COVID-19 infection, but some parents and definitely grandparents are.
My son's TX med school has just said the Match Day reveal event will now be students only. Very bummed because I wanted to go be with him when he finds out where. At this school it is also mandatory for students to attend.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Well, the students aren't in the age range to get seriously ill in case of COVID-19 infection, but some parents and definitely grandparents are.
My son's TX med school has just said the Match Day reveal event will now be students only. Very bummed because I wanted to go be with him when he finds out where. At this school it is also mandatory for students to attend.

Ah I figured it had something to do with that.

Just assuming: Same reasons things like SXSW are canceling? The decreasing number of large get-togethers to decrease infection spreading?

See above. That’s what I figured, just wasn’t sure cause Columbia was mentioned and they had a kurfuffle with the match a few years ago.

But like, over what? Fear of a bad match list?
There is so much fear over this thing. Hand sanitizer on amazon being $60-80 a bottle. Stores sold out of soap and toilet paper. Masks and gloves are in a shortage. People have legit lost their minds.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why schools are canceling?
FB6E879F-FAFF-44C1-81D8-64D52CA13E2D.gif

• Haha
I know my school has contingency plans in place in case we need to proceed without guests or change the location of our match day event. The issue is that things are changing so quickly (every hour there is something new) there is no way to know how things will be in two weeks. Like if our university closes, our hands are tied. As of now, no changes to our match day. But I am confident the virus is already widespread in our city and just not detected yet.

I think there are a couple reasons behind modifying and canceling. 1. Saving face. How bad would it look if people got sick at your match day event, maybe even a family member critically sick. 2. Discouraging travel. We have people coming from all over the country for match. 3. Panic and uncertainty.
We have a case here it’s someone who hasn’t traveled at all and works in Walmart. So it’s obviously around.

Makes me wanna say screw it and just go to Italy.

There is so much fear over this thing. Hand sanitizer on amazon being $60-80 a bottle. Stores sold out of soap and toilet paper. Masks and gloves are in a shortage. People have legit lost their minds.

Yeah my wife and I are both in healthcare so tbh I forget about the whole covid thing.

Imagine if there were this much panic and concern over the flu.

Reactions: 8 users
This whole coronavirus worry is utter nonsense

influenza has killed 18,000 people in the US this year and coronavirus? 15....

Meanwhile... the rhetoric about the flu is always how 1 person in ten million had a “bad reaction” that the parents swear was due to the flu vaccine.:wacky:

Imagine if there were this much panic and concern over the flu.
This whole coronavirus worry is utter nonsense

influenza has killed 18,000 people in the US this year and coronavirus? 15....

What are the chances that the NRMP botches the website again somehow and we can find out if/where we matched early?

it’s the week after match. I could be quarantined and have no issue :horns:
My italy trip is also after match.

Tbh, if it werent for finding out our matches earlier (and i think the ceremony part is kinda fun) and my family being mad i didnt go to graduation... i wouldnt do either...

And afaik all the coronavirus deaths were in the elderly and immune compromised.
I’m in total agreement that there is no reason for mass hysteria, but the 34y/o physician whistleblower died from this. Maybe he had an underlying condition— I have no idea, but it doesn’t seem quite the same as the seasonal flu when that is the case. We’ll see where the actual statistics end up when there’s more data to go on. In Singapore, where there is better testing, the fatality rate is significantly lower (0.6% vs. 3.4% or whatever numbers we’ve seen in the media). I would be upset if Match Day was canceled over this, but I also fully understand why this would be a PR nightmare if someone was hospitalized or died within days of attending one of these events.

I’m in total agreement that there is no reason for mass hysteria, but the 34y/o physician whistleblower died from this. Maybe he had an underlying condition— I have no idea, but it doesn’t seem quite the same as the seasonal flu when that is the case. We’ll see where the actual statistics end up when there’s more data to go on. In Singapore, where there is better testing, the fatality rate is significantly lower (0.6% vs. 3.4% or whatever numbers we’ve seen in the media). I would be upset if Match Day was canceled over this, but I also fully understand why this would be a PR nightmare if someone was hospitalized or died within days of attending one of these events.
I’m not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I’m pretty sure there was some shady **** there.

Ooookay so my Italy trip is definitely murdered by today’s news of quarantine and shut down of all national museums. Looking at changing my trip to Greece or Iceland.

Reactions: 5 users
Ooookay so my Italy trip is definitely murdered by today’s news of quarantine and shut down of all national museums. Looking at changing my trip to Greece or Iceland.
Ooo Iceland is beautiful and on the plus side, lots of nature and few crowds!

Reactions: 2 users
Just did Iceland last week and it was great!

Im expecting my Italian cruise to be blown up too and im so disappointed. I wont be able to do that as an intern.... which sucks. (We have 14 days books out, so thats why). Considering other options to bridge between Barcelona and Greece.

Gonna go against the grain and say greece over iceland.

The history, climate, and scenery all mixed with a steady jug of olive oil and wine is just beautiful to take in.

I've played enough Plague, Inc to know how this goes, Iceland is just gonna close its borders anyway :p

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users