MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My school had some speakers talk and then they showed pictures of the grads and said their names. They also said they were going to do an in-person formal ceremony in the fall so the grads can get to have a real graduation.

I like the first half of this idea and hope my school does that, if anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school had some speakers talk and then they showed pictures of the grads and said their names. They also said they were going to do an in-person formal ceremony in the fall so the grads can get to have a real graduation.
My school did the same, but hasn’t announced another in-person graduation ceremony. It’s interesting though—the only people not graduating early are those who were in the military match, who apparently needed to keep their initial graduation date for some reason?

My school did the same, but hasn’t announced another in-person graduation ceremony. It’s interesting though—the only people not graduating early are those who were in the military match, who apparently needed to keep their initial graduation date for some reason?

Not sure why. All the USUHS 4th years graduated like 50 days early on April 1. Might have something to do with their orders and effective pay date. We're all already on active duty at USUHS.

Okay, school’s virtual ceremony.. outside company (re not Zoom). They’re sending us regalia and doing a 1.5 hour ceremony. Details are still a bit fuzzy though. Sounds like all of our names get read and we’re all get hooded somehow though lol

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone ever validate that whole page source method for verifying whether you matched or not on ERAS?

Well my state has planned protests on Monday in the state capital....
Ugh. This will never end

What are they protesting? Since they are all going to be crowding together, I'm assuming they are on the side who thinks we should just open everything back up.
Thats what theyre protesting.. that our governor said he wont be opening things back up by May 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my state has planned protests on Monday in the state capital....
Ugh. This will never end

First it was a state I’m staying in on the cross country move, now it’s the state I’m moving to. Can they please not?? I just want to get to my new apartment safely and then barricade myself in it. I don’t want to be going grocery shopping for essentials in my homemade mask wondering if the person standing too close was at a huge rally a week ago. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else noticing their mood progressively worsening? I feel ive been just so... meh.
And my favorite youtuber died so im just sad about that now.

Anyone else noticing their mood progressively worsening? I feel ive been just so... meh.
And my favorite youtuber died so im just sad about that now.

Sorry you're feeling it right now, that really sucks. My mood isn't worsening but my stress is getting up there.

Pennsylvania has three major areas: Pittsburgh in the west, Philadelphia in the east, and Pennsyltucky in the middle.

Edit; ironically, though,, it seems Kentucky's government has the best handle on this COVID-19 insanity.

Pennsylvania has three major areas: Pittsburgh in the west, Philadelphia in the east, and Pennsyltucky in the middle.

Edit; ironically, though,, it seems Kentucky's government has the best handle on this COVID-19 insanity.
Im from Pennsyltucky and their mindset is well... predictable regarding all of this

I'm a KYCOM student and have watched the elections, they got incredibly lucky. They got a level headed democratic governor because the Republican incumbent tried to take away teacher's pensions and even the Trump folks got pissed. I'd hate to see this under the previous governor.

Reactions: 4 users
My school a little while back officially cancelled any in-person commencement plans. I think we are planning to have something virtual with details TBD later this week, but who knows what that will look like.

I knew it was coming, and it's the right thing to do obviously in the face of a global pandemic, but I'm not going to lie, I cried for a good bit after really processing it. Before this whole thing I was really looking forward to graduation. Even last year when I saw the class above mine graduate I was looking forward to wearing the cap and gown, getting that diploma, walking across the stage, taking pictures and celebrating with family and classmates. Especially for something as important as a professional degree that the 200 of us worked really hard for, you know?

It's no one's fault or anything and it's what needed to happen but I'm still super bummed about this all the same. Seeing everyone start to move out and leave is super sad. Not getting closure sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Would like to add, I would really like for my school to at least consider the possibility of a belated graduation ceremony at some point. The logistics would obviously be difficult given we don't exactly know what will happen with COVID, but I would gladly fly back to participate in that. I'm sure some people wouldn't come, but it would be worth it personally for me.

Would like to add, I would really like for my school to at least consider the possibility of a belated graduation ceremony at some point. The logistics would obviously be difficult given we don't exactly know what will happen with COVID, but I would gladly fly back to participate in that. I'm sure some people wouldn't come, but it would be worth it personally for me.
Our school has talked about letting us walk in next year’s ceremony. It’s probably more likely to happen than anything in 2020, and the logistics wouldn’t be easy, but probably more doable than holding another convocation in 2021.

Our school has talked about letting us walk in next year’s ceremony. It’s probably more likely to happen than anything in 2020, and the logistics wouldn’t be easy, but probably more doable than holding another convocation in 2021.

That would be nice. I'm wondering if my school will consider that as well. If they let you guys walk next year would they still do a full version of it for both classes, i.e. read out everyone's names for your class as well and let all family/friends attend?

That would be nice. I'm wondering if my school will consider that as well. If they let you guys walk next year would they still do a full version of it for both classes, i.e. read out everyone's names for your class as well and let all family/friends attend?
I think so. But most of my class won’t be there, and we already had our virtual graduation and we’re going to be starting residency in this madness, so it’s not the same regardless. The reality is that a year from now, we will all have moved on and it will just be nice for those of us who are local to walk across that stage. I’ll still do it if I get the day off!

I think so. But most of my class won’t be there, and we already had our virtual graduation and we’re going to be starting residency in this madness, so it’s not the same regardless. The reality is that a year from now, we will all have moved on and it will just be nice for those of us who are local to walk across that stage. I’ll still do it if I get the day off!

Ah yeah that makes sense. I guess if the majority of the class isn't there then it wouldn't feel the same. But definitely still worth if it you're local or a short drive away. I would hope in theory that most people would want to come back for a ceremony considering it's a professional degree and a lot of work went into it, but right now my feelings are biased by the fact that the cancellations are really new and raw and in a year most people pretty far out of state probably won't feel the same desire to go back for it, even though I personally probably would.

There are some at my school who would like to good 2021 graduates. I love that idea since it is a situation that will affect both years so much.

@ciestar this someone you know?

F2A00E37-25E0-4E79-8BAE-3D2F8A15A317.jpeg

I’m from a rural area, my Internet has never been over 50 mbps. I’m moving to a city for the first time and salivating over the 300 mbps Internet I can get for the same price I had. Gaming here I come woooo

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else feeling gross? I have gained 15 pounds thanks to COVID, i legit just eat and have no motivation to excersise. My shirts are getting tighter. I have never been this heavy and feel gross. I need to get it together

Reactions: 7 users
Is anyone else feeling gross? I have gained 15 pounds thanks to COVID, i legit just eat and have no motivation to excersise. My shirts are getting tighter. I have never been this heavy and feel gross. I need to get it together
Yes, but this started long before COVID for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Man that’s my life. I’ve always been squishy, but I was on the right track. I started lifting and started being able to do deadlifts over my body weight and I was super proud of myself.
killed that. Have been lazy as can be. Just recently at least got back into some HIIT workouts but I’m scared to touch the scale.

I get what you’re saying but I’ve been trying to adopt a more positive (or at least neutral) attitude towards weight gain during this time. It was so hard to go from a very active person to one cooped up inside and I’m sure this new sedentary lifestyle has earned me some new pounds based on the way my clothes fit. However, if I get COVID and end up needing to be tubed, I’m not going to be thinking about whether or not I should have eaten those peanut butter cups or whatever. This is a temporary situation. When I was on surgery, it got me through to remind myself that the lack of sleep was temporary, the lack of exercise was temporary and that my body and mind would “bounce back” once I got back to a normal schedule and normal activity...and they did! You may have to work a little harder to get back to pre-COVID weight if that’s your goal once this is over, but you’ll do it and get there when you get there. No point in beating yourself up and calling yourself gross for getting a little out of shape during a freaking pandemic! You aren’t gross, your body is just adjusting and it will adjust back when we are out of this.

For the first time in my life, I’m doing yoga daily and focusing on what my body can do instead of what it looks like. Flexibility is a whole new ball of wax for me and it has been refreshing to have a completely different fitness goal of mastering certain poses. I’ll work on losing some COVID weight when this is all over but for now I’m focusing on strength and despite the weight gain I’ve seen some improvements in my posture, back pain, and muscle tone from the yoga. Lots of apps are having free trials and pandemic promotions if you’re interested.

About overeating in quarantine....I was using white chocolate easter bunnies for a joyful coping mechanism, and surprise surprise the grocery store didn’t have them anymore after Easter.... so I went online, found the company, and ordered 15 more which are arriving tomorrow.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
My aunt makes me dinner once a week and then we do takeout at least once per week on top of that. Tbh I will never have this much freedom ever again so I'm just leaning into the gluttony.

My SAEM exam is tomorrow and to say im unmotivated is an understatement. I just want this to be over but i dont want to fail either.

Oh the dilemma

Reactions: 3 users
My SAEM exam is tomorrow and to say im unmotivated is an understatement. I just want this to be over but i dont want to fail either.

Oh the dilemma
You got this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Man I feel y’all so much on the food front. The weight gain for me honestly started back in January of last year on surgery clerkship. I had things pretty well sorted out then but then basically just resorted to a lot of takeout and no exercising due to stress and lack of sleep and it bled into the rest of the year and M4 year. Interviews and traveling also hit me pretty hard. Since quarantine I’ve just been eating and have no desire to work out. I was lifting regularly in January and February and now I’m back home with no gym access but I just don’t feel like doing anything other than being a lazy blob. I have my work cut out for me lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Man I feel y’all so much on the food front. The weight gain for me honestly started back in January of last year on surgery clerkship. I had things pretty well sorted out then but then basically just resorted to a lot of takeout and no exercising due to stress and lack of sleep and it bled into the rest of the year and M4 year. Interviews and traveling also hit me pretty hard. Since quarantine I’ve just been eating and have no desire to work out. I was lifting regularly in January and February and now I’m back home with no gym access but I just don’t feel like doing anything other than being a lazy blob. I haven’t work cut out for me lol
I totally understand. One thing that has helped me is buying some clothes for residency. My program has a very formal dress code so I don’t want to buy things that I’m not gonna fit into in a few weeks. Another thing is setting a time to stop eating lol like no more food after 6. But the struggle is real.

Oh the dilemma
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

There's a website that would have the programs that soaped in the previous years you can break down by specialty. Does anyone know what it was? I used it to help tailor applications since I was a weaker applicant and I want to pass it onto someone else but can't remember what it was.

There's a website that would have the programs that soaped in the previous years you can break down by specialty. Does anyone know what it was? I used it to help tailor applications since I was a weaker applicant and I want to pass it onto someone else but can't remember what it was.
Here you go!

• Love