MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol it’s funny we’re in the ED seeing covid left and right with a surgical mask. Then consulting residents roll in with N95s... the discrepancies seem silly.
Yeah it does. However, where we rotate on OB they didnt always wear N95’s and then a bunch of people ended up with COVID (including to med students), so now that’s their rule.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We have so much COVID in our hospital now and im internally screaming daily

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
20% of our hospital census is COVID. Dying guys. (1/4 of my service is COVID)

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have so much COVID in our hospital now and im internally screaming daily
My program hospitals as well as the other local hospitals have seen a huge spike. The current hospital I am at is 3x as many as what it was a few weeks ago. Many of the local hospitals have also been on diversion because they are at capacity with people having to sit around for hours in the ED.

My program hospitals as well as the other local hospitals have seen a huge spike. The current hospital I am at is 3x as many as what it was a few weeks ago. Many of the local hospitals have also been on diversion because they are at capacity with people having to sit around for hours in the ED.
We keep running into issues with isolation beds for rule outs... so boarding people in the ER has been a thing too.

I had a patient later diagnosed with covid very actively coughing at me (through a mask) during her exam. This will be the real test of PPE guys

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Guys COVID is gonna break me.

• Sad
  • Care
Sorry friend! Can you elaborate on the situation.
My hospital is basically full and like half of our admissions are covid. Im overwhelmed and covid just has taken so much from me this year... no holidays with my family this year.

• Care
By no means am I trying to derail this thread but I have a random q for interns who went through the match. How much did you all allocate/save/budget for a move from med school to residency. Assuming you moved out of state, didn't receive any relocation money from the program, and had to put down a deposit and first month of rent on your new place. I'm assuming we won't get our first paycheck until mid to late July at the earliest. I'm just trying to brainstorm how much I should budget for this kind of thing.

You guys are all the best, thanks so much

By no means am I trying to derail this thread but I have a random q for interns who went through the match. How much did you all allocate/save/budget for a move from med school to residency. Assuming you moved out of state, didn't receive any relocation money from the program, and had to put down a deposit and first month of rent on your new place. I'm assuming we won't get our first paycheck until mid to late July at the earliest. I'm just trying to brainstorm how much I should budget for this kind of thing.

You guys are all the best, thanks so much
You don’t have interview season which is nice. Don’t spend all your loans.
It really depends on what area you’re moving to. I’m in a lower cost of living area, bought new furniture and spent about 8k in totality to move and for early rent.

Reactions: 1 users
My hospital is basically full and like half of our admissions are covid. Im overwhelmed and covid just has taken so much from me this year... no holidays with my family this year.
Yeah thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I spent it alone in my apartment lol. I feel ya. I keep telling myself we’re at the peak and it can only get better with the vaccine coming very soon. Like very soon.

• Care
Just found out there will be six, SIX hours of downtime where the EHR will be read-only during my night float weekend shift which means all the Tylenol and melatonin pages are now going to require me to go to each floor (there are 13) and do handwritten orders on top of whatever other things occur during nights. It is of course towards the end of my shift too so I’ll have one hour at the end to bust through all of the event notes and admission H&Ps and med recs and transferring orders to the EHR before I can go home and sleep some before my next shift. I’m screaming into my heart right now guys.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out there will be six, SIX hours of downtime where the EHR will be read-only during my night float weekend shift which means all the Tylenol and melatonin pages are now going to require me to go to each floor (there are 13) and do handwritten orders on top of whatever other things occur during nights. It is of course towards the end of my shift too so I’ll have one hour at the end to bust through all of the event notes and admission H&Ps and med recs and transferring orders to the EHR before I can go home and sleep some before my next shift. I’m screaming into my heart right now guys.
That sucks. I got a wave of anxiety just reading your post. My next rotation has night call again and I’m already dreading it.

I had to do that on one of my calls but apparently nursing could still pull stuff from the Pyxis but anything new needed a handwritten order

That sucks. I got a wave of anxiety just reading your post. My next rotation has night call again and I’m already dreading it.
I have call this month. Im post call and then off on both holidays, so that makes me happy

Good news is that i found my ITE results and i did above the national average for interns so that is good lol

• Love
Pronounced my first patient today and filled out a death certificate.

Days like this are hard. So many COVID patients and they’re dying.

• Care
I asked if we could send the medical students home 1 hour early who had been sitting there for at least 4 hours doing nothing and it’s not our admission day.
Got a talking to by the upper level about how its important they stay through checkout.
Whoops.

• Wow
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Because I’m psych I’m tier 3 of vaccinations. Nevermind the fact I’m on medicine and have to admit COVIDs.

• Dislike
  • Wow
  • Sad
Y’all I’m on an off service rotation and like they didn’t really orient us at all. And I’m like how the heck do you expect me to know what I’m doing lol.
E52E3415-4E17-4C52-9265-9A77A80C39EB.gif

• Haha
Update: the attending seriously asked me if I was ashamed of the exam I did for my first admit on this off service specialty. (Super complex patient referred to us after 2 different hospitals)
I said no
He said well you should be

“Lol please refer to previous post”

• Wow
  • Haha
Update: the attending seriously asked me if I was ashamed of the exam I did for my first admit on this off service specialty. (Super complex patient referred to us after 2 different hospitals)
I said no

Neurology?

I said no

Wow what a douche

• Haha
Cant sleep and im tachy/having palpitations for god knows what reason...
So im prewriting my morning progress notes lol
And my computer decided to break. The butterfly keyboard on the Macbook Air sucks so bad.

• Care
Haha yes...

I learned TWO, not one but two physical exam maneuvers on my neurology rotation as a resident. As in completely unbeknownst to me, totally new information. And one of them was taught to me by one of the students. Any time the attending would pimp the students, the other off service intern (medicine) and I would whip out our little notebooks to write down the answers that the students provided because we sure as hell didn’t know it!

• Haha
I learned TWO, not one but two physical exam maneuvers on my neurology rotation as a resident. As in completely unbeknownst to me, totally new information. And one of them was taught to me by one of the students. Any time the attending would pimp the students, the other off service intern (medicine) and I would whip out our little notebooks to write down the answers that the students provided because we sure as hell didn’t know it!
I totally suck at neuro hahah Care to share?

Well if it makes you feel any better we didn’t learn either of those maneuvers.
I would like to see the neurologist diagnose something without getting 500 tests. Let’s put their precious physical exam to the test. Like good lord the most amount of tests ordered in one time that I have ever encountered. Admittedly I’m bitter.

• Haha
I would like to see the neurologist diagnose something without getting 500 tests. Let’s put their precious physical exam to the test. Like good lord the most amount of tests ordered in one time that I have ever encountered. Admittedly I’m bitter.

Tbf, I have seen neurologists do their exam and completely nail it down to the location. I just don't get the point since they get all the imaging anyway.

Tbf, I have seen neurologists do their exam and completely nail it down to the location. I just don't get the point since they get all the imaging anyway.
Lol most of the neurologists ive worked with so far are like “no need for further imaging at this time, will sign off”

• Haha
Actually.. this is true for many consultants. GI is notorious for it at my hospital lol

All I want for Christmas is hospital admin to stop emailing me until there is a nurse standing next to me delivering the vaccine. The fact that it’s present in the hospital but won’t be “rolled out” until next week has my anxiety running the show right now.

I'm all in on the neurology jokes! But there are many reasons why obtaining that MRI is important.

Raise your hand if you’re taking step 3 soon and you haven’t been studying.

They’re making us take it this year. I have to care enough to relearn OB, stats, and peds in a short period of time while being on an inpatient rotation. (Insert crying emoji)

• Sad
If you haven't been required to take CS or PE, take Step 3 now. As soon as those exams come back, you'll likely be forced to deal with them.

If you haven't been required to take CS or PE, take Step 3 now. As soon as those exams come back, you'll likely be forced to deal with them.
I...fortunately? unfortunately? have already taken CS. I’ll schedule step 3 once I have both doses of the vaccine. I really just didn’t want to sit in a room with other vectors with only a paper mask for two days straight. Plus a lot of people I know we’re constantly having to reschedule and I didn’t want to deal with that.

I dont think any of us have that problem fortunately lol

They’re making us take it this year. I have to care enough to relearn OB, stats, and peds in a short period of time while being on an inpatient rotation. (Insert crying emoji)
Yeah seems to be program dependent. Mine requires it by end of December of 2nd year.

I suck at stats though