MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I underestimated how much note writing sucks.
My notes have gotten crazy sloppy, but my attendings won't sign them for another 2 months, and by then they won't even remember what I look like, ha!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
My notes have gotten crazy sloppy, but my attendings won't sign them for another 2 months, and by then they won't even remember what I look like, ha!
Mine were clinic notes. Ughh
ER notes are better

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else irritated by all the new steaming platforms out now. Like why can’t Netflix have the other seasons of teen mom 2. Now that I watched the first two I wanna know what happens. But I don’t want to buy access through yet another streaming thing.
(Also I should be studying for step 3 lol)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else irritated by all the new steaming platforms out now. Like why can’t Netflix have the other seasons of teen mom 2. Now that I watched the first two I wanna know what happens. But I don’t want to buy access through yet another streaming thing.
(Also I should be studying for step 3 lol)
I just paid for a PBS subscription through Prime... i wanna watch my Documentaries in peace lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I just paid for a PBS subscription through Prime... i wanna watch my Documentaries in peace lol
Yeah I need the cbs all access to watch my show... I’m morally objecting to this nonsense. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime is enough.

Yeah I need the cbs all access to watch my show... I’m morally objecting to this nonsense. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime is enough.
Same! I have all 3 of those AND HBO max. If it’s not covered there, I’m not watching it. I’m sick of the fracturing of streaming.

Reactions: 2 users
I have all of those and Disney+, and now add PBS lmao

To be fair, PBS is like $4 a month. Supporting viewers like me obviously

• Haha
I have all of those and Disney+, and now add PBS lmao

To be fair, PBS is like $4 a month. Supporting viewers like me obviously
Haha I’m concerned that more and more shows will be pulled from the main platforms and off to the little services which would kinda suck. It’s gonna be a 100+ a month before they’re done.

On a separate note who let the USMLE add the stupid cases part to step 3. The software is just idiotic and it’s one more annoying hoop to Jump through and I’m over it.
(I think I need a glass of wine today lol)

Haha I’m concerned that more and more shows will be pulled from the main platforms and off to the little services which would kinda suck. It’s gonna be a 100+ a month before they’re done.

On a separate note who let the USMLE add the stupid cases part to step 3. The software is just idiotic and it’s one more annoying hoop to Jump through and I’m over it.
(I think I need a glass of wine today lol)
Way ahead of you my friend lolol

I bought uworld and havent started it though lolol im in no hurry

Way ahead of you my friend lolol

I bought uworld and havent started it though lolol im in no hurry
Juuuuust got my step 3 CID notarized today. Waiting on my stimulus check to buy Uworld. I occasionally do like 20 anki cards and am over it. This is going to be a slog.

Juuuuust got my step 3 CID notarized today. Waiting on my stimulus check to buy Uworld. I occasionally do like 20 anki cards and am over it. This is going to be a slog.
My program counts UWorld for CME so im getting that money back at least.

I dont wanna study in the least. Ive had more days off this month than ive worked (thank you EM lolol) and ive done nothing but watch tv and online shop

I need to learn the cases, I’ve been ignoring that totally. I’m hoping some kind of muscle memory kicks in for the MCQ.

I hate nights soo much. Im exhausted and still have 2.5 hours to go

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate nights soo much. Im exhausted and still have 2.5 hours to go
That’s how I feel about day shifts. Luckily your problem is the minority of residency vs mine. My natural body clock is to sleep 6am-2pm.

edit: not trying to minimize your pain. This is just my way of injecting my own pre-residency panic.

That’s how I feel about day shifts. Luckily your problem is the minority of residency vs mine. My natural body clock is to sleep 6am-2pm.

edit: not trying to minimize your pain. This is just my way of injecting my own pre-residency panic.
Dont get me wrong, i have a long standing history of this. My doctor recently changed my medications which actually help me sleep thankfully. Now... i got up at 9 am yesterday so this is a true 24 type of night. Back at the beginning of the pandemic, I was doing a lot of 10 am-4 pm lol

I feel ya I dread nights so much. Do you have a stretch oh them?
Just four days this time in 8 hour shifts (last night just went by PAINFULLY SLOW). When i did OB it was two weeks of 5p-8a.

Life update :I caved in and got the free trial of cbs to watch my show.
Also have taken the two uworld assessments and did fine.

• Love
  • Wow
Well guys, im repaying for last night tonight.. super busy all night. 4.5 hours to go.

• Care
Anyone else experiencing intern year slump. Like my mood is “I just can’t even”
Like the thought of clinic tomorrow makes me wanna cry lol

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I'm on an off-service rotation that I am in LOVE with. Who knew that decent hours and weekends off in a beautiful hospital would make such a difference in my morale? Next up after this is night float, and after that three months of medicine wards and then Step 3. Pretty sure I'm going to relate to your post verrrrry soon. 🙃

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I'm on an off-service rotation that I am in LOVE with. Who knew that decent hours and weekends off in a beautiful hospital would make such a difference in my morale? Next up after this is night float, and after that three months of medicine wards and then Step 3. Pretty sure I'm going to relate to your post verrrrry soon. 🙃
Haha I think I’ll be less agitated after I take step 3 next week. (Lol assuming I pass)

I have 10 patients on my schedule this week, i feel exactly this way.

And the hours for this rotation arent even bad, but nights just suck all the energy out of me.

Ended up staying an hour after my shift ended and im drinking wine at 3 am. Tonight was baddd. The side of medicine i always dreaded.

• Care
Ended up staying an hour after my shift ended and im drinking wine at 3 am. Tonight was baddd. The side of medicine i always dreaded.
Was it busy or difficult situations?sending virtual hug.

Bought Uworld and took one 40 question assessment. 70% correct. I can stop studying now right? We’re good?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Bought Uworld and took one 40 question assessment. 70% correct. I can stop studying now right? We’re good?
Lol so I took part one this week. Idk if uworld helped me much. So maybe yes. (I’ll update my recommendation after part 2.)

ugh I wish inpatient services could start at 7 instead of 6am. Like the extra bit of sleep would be everything.

Still havent activated UWorld. Winning hahah

• Haha
Lol so I took part one this week. Idk if uworld helped me much. So maybe yes. (I’ll update my recommendation after part 2.)

ugh I wish inpatient services could start at 7 instead of 6am. Like the extra bit of sleep would be everything.
Omg i hate having to show up at 6 am.
(which is way better than the 5 am i had to do on surgery)

Omg i hate having to show up at 6 am.
(which is way better than the 5 am i had to do on surgery)
What? How do you guys mean? We sign out at 7am, but obviously gotta show up before then to start chart checking.....? Are you guys signing out at 6?

What? How do you guys mean? We sign out at 7am, but obviously gotta show up before then to start chart checking.....? Are you guys signing out at 6?
My peds rotation will have a 6 AM sign out. :(

• Sad
  • Care
Yep sign out at 6.

I will say one of my psych inpatient rotations had rounds at 6:30 AM (no pre-rounding) and it was kind of amazing because then you were done by like 8 and actually had time to do all the other stuff you needed to do and be done with the day by like 2-3 tops.

I will say one of my psych inpatient rotations had rounds at 6:30 AM (no pre-rounding) and it was kind of amazing because then you were done by like 8 and actually had time to do all the other stuff you needed to do and be done with the day by like 2-3 tops.
but were the residents making as many decisions?

but were the residents making as many decisions?
It was only myself (resident), the social worker, and the attending on rounds so yes! It was a team based approach but I was expected to do the interviews, write the notes, and guide treatment discussions. Obviously I chart reviewed prior to rounds so that I knew my personal game plan for the day (not that the attending always agreed with it).

Yep, 6 am signout.

It really depends on the rotation though. On our inpatient service sign out is at 7 and rounds are 830-9.

Ugh I literally feel physically ill in the early morning. Every extra hour I get is precious. So I definitely asked residents at every program what time morning sign out was on wards, and it definitely factored into my rank list.

Ugh I literally feel physically ill in the early morning. Every extra hour I get is precious. So I definitely asked residents at every program what time morning sign out was on wards, and it definitely factored into my rank list.
Haha yeah I feel ya. We have a mostly 4+4 schedule so you have time to recover. Honestly I think it would be so much harder if it was a 4+1 or 3+1 or traditional.

• Love
Haha yeah I feel ya. We have a mostly 4+4 schedule so you have time to recover. Honestly I think it would be so much harder if it was a 4+1 or 3+1 or traditional.
That’s amazing! I have only 1 program with a 4+4 type setup. I pushed traditional down my list and have quite a few 3+1 and 4+1. I hate traditional not only for the QOL but also because I want to do primary care and so I wanted programs where ambulatory training wasn’t an afterthought.

That was me this morning. Add in the 40 minute commute just this month and a 6 am signout... i was exhausted

• Care
Cant sleep.. have to be awake in 3.5 hours. Yay.

• Sad
Cant sleep.. have to be awake in 3.5 hours. Yay.
I always have an over the counter sleep aid for those type of nights. Or if I have to wake up super early and I’m not in the mood to sleep early.

I always have an over the counter sleep aid for those type of nights. Or if I have to wake up super early and I’m not in the mood to sleep early.
I have friggin ativan that didnt touch it.

• Haha
Ughh i HATE peds. Three more weeks of this... boooo

On some of my residency interviews I remember several different ways this came up:

“yeah I’m one of those people that genuinely enjoyed 3rd year! ............. except Peds!”
I thought i wanted to do it once. Nope, i was clearly crazy. Inpatient peds is legit the worst.

Completely feel you on this. I remember as a med student the residents would talk about this January/February swoon and I learned this year that it's real. I think my wards block in December when COVID was rampant and I was constantly following 8-9 patients really took a lot out of me and I felt it last month when I was in the ED. The shifts themselves where pretty low-stress and we weren't required to follow or pick up a certain # of patients but I felt like it took a ton of effort/energy just to get into the car and drive there and get through the shifts. I'm now back on wards and after working for just 4 days and being off today I feel like I worked for 8 days or something.

On a different note, I just realized this week how much working with new M3s slows you down from an efficiency standpoint. Supervising them while they take the history, discussing the full plan with them, them rehearsing their presentation to me and asking for feedback. I guess I wasn't ready for that part..

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Completely feel you on this. I remember as a med student the residents would talk about this January/February swoon and I learned this year that it's real. I think my wards block in December when COVID was rampant and I was constantly following 8-9 patients really took a lot out of me and I felt it last month when I was in the ED. The shifts themselves where pretty low-stress and we weren't required to follow or pick up a certain # of patients but I felt like it took a ton of effort/energy just to get into the car and drive there and get through the shifts. I'm now back on wards and after working for just 4 days and being off today I feel like I worked for 8 days or something.

On a different note, I just realized this week how much working with new M3s slows you down from an efficiency standpoint. Supervising them while they take the history, discussing the full plan with them, them rehearsing their presentation to me and asking for feedback. I guess I wasn't ready for that part..
I also think for me at least that my life being all work and no play is kinda getting to me lol. Like as I’m getting older it’s getting harder to ignore my lacking personal life.

I love med students (the nice ones lol)I just like having the company too. Also if they present then I don’t have to present which is always a plus. And they get a few of the pimp questions. But yes it depends on the student when it comes to efficiency.