Co-Authors on Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc125

Reaction score
Is it a good practice to have two people write one LOR? I know you shouldn't have two letters from the same place/experience since it will be redundant but if those two people both have something valuable to say about you and that experience can you have them co-write one letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I technically had "co-authors" on a letter from a PI, because the PhD candidate I was reporting to directly knew me slightly better than the PI did. I asked my mentor before approaching my PI for a letter, and he agreed to submit some comments that helped the PI write the letter itself. If you're in a similar position, have the more senior employer write the letter and ask others to contribute. But as gonnif said, this doesn't make sense for an academic letter.

This would be for a similar situation as yours, @labscience not for a professor. I worked directly under a PI at biotech company so she would obviously know me more and have more to say, but I personally know the CEO of the company very well and thought he could add onto it/it might seem more impressive

So what does this count as? a single letter? but schools ask for letters typically from single professors. BTW, most schools ask for specifically for academic letters.
it would be a single letter with two people contributing to it, both from one research facility that I interned at. this would not be an academic letter