You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread
Started by kraskadva
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted697308
I chose my medical school based on prestige even though I knew the other options I had were a better fit. I still regret it and learned my lesson the hard way. Medical school would've been easier close to support system or in a city I liked. I hate snow and going to a place without a direct flight that snows was SO silly of me. But at least I learned before residency so I made a better choice this time around!Dont underestimate this. Residency is hard. It’s harder in a place you hate.
Just curious what specialty did you applied to? And do you feel like your med school name help with interview # or interview at top programs? Just asking because at top program interviews, there were more students who come from big name schools.I chose my medical school based on prestige even though I knew the other options I had were a better fit. I still regret it and learned my lesson the hard way. Medical school would've been easier close to support system or in a city I liked. I hate snow and going to a place without a direct flight that snows was SO silly of me. But at least I learned before residency so I made a better choice this time around!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really hope it all works out for you!I chose my medical school based on prestige even though I knew the other options I had were a better fit. I still regret it and learned my lesson the hard way. Medical school would've been easier close to support system or in a city I liked. I hate snow and going to a place without a direct flight that snows was SO silly of me. But at least I learned before residency so I made a better choice this time around!
Driving to work in the snow is also awful. Too bad I was limited geographically. Got two IVs to Florida programs though... should have gone lolol
that's why you get snow tires. then it becomes less awful and slightly more funReally hope it all works out for you!
Driving to work in the snow is also awful. Too bad I was limited geographically. Got two IVs to Florida programs though... should have gone lolol
Man, I wish I had enough med school interview to have a pen collection! LOLI’m totally into branded pens; was one of my favorite parts of interviewing for med school was collecting them
I wonder if it's just the places I interviewed (mostly large, academic programs) or my specialty that just chose not to do goodie bags. Looking back I received 1) Mailed brochure (that could/ should have been sent digitally) 2) A generic candy bar (don't get me wrong, I definitely ate it!) 3) The aforementioned marble (with an encouraging note) and 4) A couple of friendly postcards. The postcards made me smile, but none of the things swayed me (I think? Candy bar program did end up my #2, brochure place my #3, and marble program was my #7).
I believe we find out at 11 am on the 15th and 12 pm on the 19th. We also have the clocks move forward 1 hour so technically at the time of this post we have 6 days 21 hours and 42 minutes not 23 hours 🙂![]()
My SUV does well in the snow but a 40 minute commute makes that less fun and more terrifyingthat's why you get snow tires. then it becomes less awful and slightly more fun
Probably no more than the Viagra pens, clipboards, and computer mice the Pfizer rep used to hand out in my clinic. Cool to have in your hand but didn't really change anything and definitely wound up in the landfill once the ink ran out or when PS/2 mice became obsolete.Do these swag / goodie bags really make any difference? We ended up sending them this year, but honestly seems likely that they will just end up in the trash stream.
Not only that, but those programs saved money due to all the C19-related medical conferences which were cancelled in the past year preventing their residents from using travel/conference attendance funds. Certainly Covid has hurt students and residents but seems to have saved residency programs some money.Wow I didn't even think about how much money programs saved on dinner and hotel expenses. Makes you look reeeaaallll sketch if you can't even do a $20 grubhub and POS goodie bag.
A
AnatomyGrey12
Me: chilling
NRMP: So, uh you ready to learn about SOAP?
NRMP: So, uh you ready to learn about SOAP?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me: gonna be awesome matching at this incredible program that i could have only dreamed of as a medical student.Me: maybe I’ll match at this really awesome program.
also me: oh so you think you’re gonna match, do ya?
Also me: I guess I could drive uber for a living, cant be that bad.
D
deleted697308
Is the 11 am Central or Eastern time?
D
deleted697308
One of my friends pre-COVID left Florida and became a pool (?) girl at one of the Vegas clubs. I forget her exact title. Has been making $90-100K a year prior to the pandemic. Flexible schedule and she gets to go to all the music festivals. Was jealous of her and multiple times in med school questioned my decision making. She really loved her job. Told myself I'd do that if this whole thing doesn't work out. Looks really fun and you're in warm weather without snow.Me: gonna be awesome matching at this incredible program that i could have only dreamed of as a medical student.
Also me: I guess I could drive uber for a living, cant be that bad.
A
AnatomyGrey12
Pretty sure it’s 11am CentralIs the 11 am Central or Eastern time?
Really don't want to derail the panic in this thread, but there's actually decent evidence that drug advertising to physicians changes behavior. Everyone thinks they are immune.Probably no more than the Viagra pens, clipboards, and computer mice the Pfizer rep used to hand out in my clinic. Cool to have in your hand but didn't really change anything and definitely wound up in the landfill once the ink ran out or when PS/2 mice became obsolete.
All times are EST: Match Calendars - The Match, National Resident Matching Program (nrmp.org)Pretty sure it’s 11am Central
A
AnatomyGrey12
Oh right, I thought they were asking about the Friday time, which is 12 EST.
Yeah Monday is 11 est
D
deleted697308
Meant Monday but yes both!! thank you. it's so hard being on rotation and trying to care lol. my attending asked me if i wanted to leave two hours early and i said yes lol. 😂 3rd year me would never. every day i'm like 1 day closer to finding out if nad whereOh right, I thought they were asking about the Friday time, which is 12 EST.
Yeah Monday is 11 est
Last edited by a moderator:
What specialty did you end up applying?Me: gonna be awesome matching at this incredible program that i could have only dreamed of as a medical student.
Also me: I guess I could drive uber for a living, cant be that bad.
Rad gang. That is if they welcome me into the fold of the cave .What specialty did you end up applying?
When are times ever not in EST lol. If it doesn't specify then pretty safe to guess it's in eastern time
Bend the knee to Eastern time, peasants.
This gave me an inkling of desire to rewatch game of thrones but then i remembered season 8 happened and im good on that.Bend the knee to Eastern time, peasants.
Not tryna get through years of brilliant hard work to just get disappointed in the finale, I’m already expecting my own personal season 8 next week
I didn’t realize how lucky I was to grow up in EST until I left EST & had to remember to subtract an hour for everything hahaWhen are times ever not in EST lol. If it doesn't specify then pretty safe to guess it's in eastern time
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just watch up until season 6 and then say "wow I hope they finish the series eventually".This gave me an inkling of desire to rewatch game of thrones but then i remembered season 8 happened and im good on that.
Not tryna get through years of brilliant hard work to just get disappointed in the finale, I’m already expecting my own personal season 8 next week
My favorite was when I had 8 AM EST interviews and I live on the west coast. Staring into my ring light at 5 AM is something I hope to never have to do again.I didn’t realize how lucky I was to grow up in EST until I left EST & had to remember to subtract an hour for everything haha
Don't @ me but the most difficult and neurotic part of the virtual interview season is making sure you don't **** up the time zone changes lol.I didn’t realize how lucky I was to grow up in EST until I left EST & had to remember to subtract an hour for everything haha
I woke up 15 mins before my interview because of the time zone difference...despite I double-checked...and I woke up 2 hours before my interview...waiting and wondering wth everyone were...and I also double checked hahahaDon't @ me but the most difficult and neurotic part of the virtual interview season is making sure you don't **** up the time zone changes lol.
Some people I knew factored in how considerate or flexible a program was towards west coast applicants in their final rankings.
Username does NOT checkoutMy favorite was when I had 8 AM EST interviews and I live on the west coast. Staring into my ring light at 5 AM is something I hope to never have to do again.
I mean I had several interviews with people up at 3-4 am for resident meet and greets then also ridiculous time changes for the actual interviews. I think they had it a bit rougher just saying hahaHahaha. I was with my husband for interview season on the west coast and contemplated all my life decisions when I had 2 7 am EST interviews. West Coasters had it the worst lol.
Laughs in Australian FMGHawaiians had it the worst.
Oh yeah, international medical graduates were champs. I think I was in one interview with someone from Sudan who was up at 3am her time for the resident social. In my head I was like, "In the name of decency please tell me she's an automatic admit at this point."
OK, just learned my favorite classmate ranked the same #1! I would be psyched if we matched into the same program 😀
OK, just learned my favorite classmate ranked the same #1! I would be psyched if we matched into the same program 😀
Growing up in a state with no sports teams my process of deciding what team I was a fan of was pretty sporadic haha.Username does NOT checkout
I like how they call it SOAP and registered the acronym. Makes it sound all pleasant and clean.
They should have just left it as it was back in the day... Scramble. More fitting it you ask me.
Or better yet.... PANIC. Poor Applicants Need Immediate Consolation.
They should have just left it as it was back in the day... Scramble. More fitting it you ask me.
Or better yet.... PANIC. Poor Applicants Need Immediate Consolation.
I am curious what happened befor this system was put in place . Did people just sign contracts immediately after interviews?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you mean? Before the MATCH system? The MATCH was put into place in the 1950s. It was literally a perpetual scramble where hospital systems were desperate to have medical interns and would do anything to fill up the spot up to 2 years before the start date. However, this led to nebulous time lines with questionable candidates and so the hospital systems condensed offer times to from days to hours with contracts.I am curious what happened befor this system was put in place . Did people just sign contracts immediately after interviews?
FYI for those interested:
The Origins, History, and Design of the Resident Match
In the early 1900s, competition among hospitals for interns and among medical students for good internships led to increasingly early offers of internships to students. By the 1940s, appointments were often made as early as the beginning of the junior year of medical school. Hospitals thus had...
The funniest part of the MATCH to me is that you go through all this training to have a computer algorithm spit out the best possible scenario. Its like not how getting a job is like at all. Like not at all. Every trainee ends up with a rude awakening when their post-graduate time is done.
Last edited:
The funniest part of the MATCH to me is that you go through all this training to have a computer algorithm spit out the best possible scenario. Its like not how getting a job is like at all. Like not at all. Every trainee ends up with a rude awakening when their post-graduate time is done.
Isn’t it funny that we are taught for four years to not trust scans and imaging? You must treat every patient as an individual and your unique physical exam is what trumps all... but we’re gonna MD calc y’all into the rest of your life - good luck! 😂
A
AnatomyGrey12
I mean, the Match has flaws, but it’s way better than the alternative.Isn’t it funny that we are taught for four years to not trust scans and imaging? You must treat every patient as an individual and your unique physical exam is what trumps all... but we’re gonna MD calc y’all into the rest of your life - good luck! 😂
What do you mean? Before the MATCH system? The MATCH was put into place in the 1950s. It was literally a perpetual scramble where hospital systems were desperate to have medical interns and would do anything to fill up the spot up to 2 years before the start date. However, this led to nebulous time lines with questionable candidates and so the hospital systems condensed offer times to from days to hours with contracts.
FYI for those interested:
![]()
The Origins, History, and Design of the Resident Match
In the early 1900s, competition among hospitals for interns and among medical students for good internships led to increasingly early offers of internships to students. By the 1940s, appointments were often made as early as the beginning of the junior year of medical school. Hospitals thus had...jamanetwork.com
The funniest part of the MATCH to me is that you go through all this training to have a computer algorithm spit out the best possible scenario. Its like not how getting a job is like at all. Like not at all. Every trainee ends up with a rude awakening when their post-graduate time is done.
The best part of this was imagining walking down the street in my top hat in the 1930s after taking my morning cocaine and heroin for cough and toothache to get accosted by a telegram boy only to find out I secured a position at the local lobotomy institute that I must accept in the next hour.
I feel like some of us are already up for a rude awakening come match. 😕
I never got that from my education, most of the places where I rotated knew the limitations of the physical exam and the vagaries associated with them. And knew to trust imaging and scans more than some weird maneuver that may or may not work 50% of the time every time.Isn’t it funny that we are taught for four years to not trust scans and imaging? You must treat every patient as an individual and your unique physical exam is what trumps all... but we’re gonna MD calc y’all into the rest of your life - good luck! 😂
I never got that from my education, most of the places where I rotated knew the limitations of the physical exam and the vagaries associated with them. And knew to trust imaging and scans more than some weird maneuver that may or may not work 50% of the time every time.
Lol yeah same here. We were taught that the PE is essentially superfluous in >95% of cases.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 508