MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe that is why the DO pass rate on CS is 85%, 10% lower than USMDs. If you dont account for the 6% of IMGs who fail the SEP portion, their pass rates are almost identical at 83 and 85%.
DOs don’t take CS. It’s like 30/6500 that do every year. Not a reliable statistic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Maybe that is why the DO pass rate on CS is 85%, 10% lower than USMDs. If you dont account for the 6% of IMGs who fail the SEP portion, their pass rates are almost identical at 83 and 85%.

Its not that you need a bunch of rotations, it is just you got to prepare correctly to not overlook details of this exam or misunderstand it. This exam is unrealistic as you said and all about checking off boxes and doing things their way. Doing so many things at once like studying for CK, CS, shelves, rotating without time off in demanding rotations, preparing your application, and traveling between different states can make many people rushing to meet the deadline vulnerable to these oversights. Right after the exam I was in an FM rotation seeing 10+ patients a day and essentially did everything and the attending would just write off on it. Got an A with a letter and was the top performer as I was in most rotations. Exam serves one purposes, $.

And thank you. The storm has passed for now. I'll have my 7th interview soon. That seems to be the number where most USIMGs are hanging around. Very blessed and grateful. Wish you nothing but success as well.
The only reason I responded was that the tone of the post was that IMGs have to do all of those things you just listed and AMGs do not. That's just not true. Everyone has all of those things to do at the same time. And, yes, the test is a complete BS money grab to most people.

Just a note: I wouldn't really read what the DO pass rate of CS (not PE) is as very, very few DOs take CS. We are talking about probably less than 10 people a year if I had to guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Hit a record today of an interviewer asking "well, that's all I got - what questions do you have for me?" only 11 minutes into a 30-minute interview.

And then the very next interviewer did it at the 7-minute mark. I'm so burned out from this sh**

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hit a record today of an interviewer asking "well, that's all I got - what questions do you have for me?" only 11 minutes into a 30-minute interview.

And then the very next interviewer did it at the 7-minute mark. I'm so burned out from this sh**
Lol interviewer for a program in a different state happened to be visiting the city I'm in and 4 minutes of the interview was him asking what he should get for dinner while he is here. Was one of my favorite interviews tbh.

Reactions: 6 users
Can you share this graph?
I’d like to see this too

Side question for you guys, didn't want to make a whole new thread.

Current M3. I'm planning on making a new email address to use solely for residency purposes (I get so much junk on both my personal and my school email). Would it be best to create this email from now and use it for all communication with programs, like VSAS and setting up auditions etc? Some of the sites I want to audition at have you inquire by personally emailing the PC, for example. Or keep it solely for ERAS? My plan had been to keep it for ERAS, but then I thought the discontinuity might be confusing. Probably overthinking it.
I used the same professional gmail account for VSAS/ERAS/USMLE.
Zoom fatigue setting in finally
Yes same. Just finished #6. 4 to go.
Dude I feel you. Had three this week and I'm drained
This was my second this week and that’s bad enough.

Attachments

• DE6A32E7-F805-4271-9E58-D30A55810ABD.png
    DE6A32E7-F805-4271-9E58-D30A55810ABD.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 875429F8-A262-4C09-973D-BE2D86AB399F.png
    875429F8-A262-4C09-973D-BE2D86AB399F.png
    209.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Bruh I've had 2 20-30 minute interviews with PD's that STARTED with that question.

• Care
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
I had an interview where all 3 of my interviews were "what questions you have for me". I was so tired after my first one that I asked basically the same questions again in the next two.

Reactions: 4 users
I advocate using a separate email because there is no point in receiving the BS emails schools blow up your regular email addy with daily.

I use rules to automatically delete all my school emails from the known annoying sources but it's just easier to set up a throwaway gmail for eras and put it on a separate app on your phone with a separate notification tone. No false alarms. No checking email. No technical acumen required.
Except, unfortunately speaking from experience, if you make a new email that you don't have memorized and enter it incorrectly into ERAS because you're exhausted trying to apply while on your sub-i. Be suspicious if you get zero communications from ERAS in the first week that it goes live... it all worked out fine in the end, but was unnecessarily stressful due to my stupid email mishap.

• Care
I'm so over the "Okay, tell me about yourself. Great, do you have any more questions for me?"

YEAH, WHY DID YOU NEED TO INTERVIEW ME IN THE FIRST PLACE

Reactions: 3 users
The 2021 ERAS thread creates anxiety versus the 2020 thread reduced it lol.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 7 users
I am a USIMG with a CS pass on 3rd attempt. I will do everything I can until that rank deadline. Half my iv last yeat were from networking and 33% this year. Takes stubborn relentless to overcome something like that. Networking is essential and i continue to network now with residents. Sorry but not going to feel bad for usmds concerned that lois are becoming devalued. God forbid you not getting your 17th inv due to excessive lois.
I wish it was more valuable for everyone, IMGs included. I sent LOIs to 3 places, if they dont work, they dont work.

Have you thought that the reason you are 0/30 may be because some applicants sent too many LOIs in past years? If an applicant sends out >25 LOIs, next years @Dr. Lion might send out >35 with no response. The things we do this year will have an effect on next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW I only sent to programs that I have regional ties or know someone at. Genuine interest. Probably won't send much more if any at all. I understand why people send so many especially if they are struggling for interviews, but I can't stomach spewing 200 emails of straight bs.
I hope you the best. Just do whatever is best for yourself. You put in too much time, work, and money to not try to do everything to land that residency spot.

• Care
Alright folks. Heard the new normal for this cycle is 5 interviews. True or false?

It will likely be different for every speciality. In ophthalmology the AUPO released data to PDs that showed the median is 6 and the mean is about 7.8.

Alright folks. Heard the new normal for this cycle is 5 interviews. True or false?

Well it seems specialty dependent. If you look at the spreadsheet for surgery, the mean is around 15, but that is a self selected sample for sure. From anecdotal experience and looking at my school based data, seems like on average people have less than a normal year.

My school sent out some rough data for average number of invites per specialty. Removing a few outliers it was about 7ish interviews across all specialties.

Very rough data though, and applicants from my school traditionally apply to fewer programs and very regionally.

Saying cats are better than dogs is about as accurate as saying sleeping in sucks. Doggos>>>>>>>>>>>>ferrets>>>>>>>>>>>>turtles>>>>>>>>>>>>>cats

Have fun walking your dog in the rain and picking up it’s nasty wet poop. I’ll just be chilling and snuggling my cat who knows how to use a sandbox.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Been catching up on this thread. So I did get interviews from a couple programs I sent a LOI to. I only sent a handful to programs in a specific city for both prelim/TY + Adv/Cat. For 1 of the programs, idk if the LOI is helped or not because I found out that they just send out interviews late (someone was trolling on the Reddit spreadsheet I think).

I had 5 interview days in a row last week- do not recommend if you can avoid it. I’ve been dropping interviews lately. I’m planning on taking ~16, I don’t think doing any more than that is worth my time. Keep it up peeps

I’ve been using that rank list made from some google excel sheet someone posted on here a week or so ago; it’s awesome! I personalized the columns for things I care more about & it’s been super helpful. I made a column for “gut feeling immediately after interview” too just to remember how I felt. 10/10 recommend checking that thing out !
Do you happen to have a link?

Have fun walking your dog in the rain and picking up it’s nasty wet poop. I’ll just be chilling and snuggling my cat who knows how to use a sandbox.
Ban yourself for spreading blatant lies dogs will always be > cats. Cats track their litter everywhere and cleaning up a litter box is infinitely more disgusting than picking up even the worst dogorrhea. Plus we all know we don’t pick up dog poop in the rain I just let it turn to fertilizer.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 10 users
Ban yourself for spreading blatant lies dogs will always be > cats. Cats track their litter everywhere and cleaning up a litter box is infinitely more disgusting than picking up even the worst dogorrhea. Plus we all know we don’t pick up dog poop in the rain I just let it turn to fertilizer.

It literally takes me like 1 minute to clean the litter box, and cats bury their **** in sand. By the time I pick it up, it doesn't even look or smell like poop. You use a little shovel. It's like cleaning up a sand castle. Waaaaaaaay better than picking up a steaming dog turd with only a thin layer of plastic between your skin and the bomb.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
It literally takes me like 1 minute to clean the litter box, and cats bury their **** in sand. By the time I pick it up, it doesn't even look or smell like poop. You use a little shovel. It's like cleaning up a sand castle. Waaaaaaaay better than picking up a steaming dog turd with only a thin layer of plastic between your skin and the bomb.

Lol I’m going into EM I regularly have nothing more than a thin layer of plastic between my skin and a mix of **** and blood.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I had 5 interview days in a row last week- do not recommend if you can avoid it. I’ve been dropping interviews lately. I’m planning on taking ~16, I don’t think doing any more than that is worth my time. Keep it up peeps
Wow, I think you are my hero. When I have >2 virtual interview days in a row I completely lose all sense of time/ organization. I recently went on the interview for what I originally thought was my #4 program (likely to shift lower due to sense of fit and my own incompetence during the interview) and I missed (as in failed to log in for) 2 of the sessions just from zoning out. One at least was just a social hour, and neither was a 1:1 interview, but I wouldn't put it past myself to miss one of those before the interview season is over...

I'm also impressed by people who confidently know the number they need. I was recently speaking with an MD/PhD who said 10 interviews was way too many. The most rockstar applicant I know who went into my field from my school a couple years ago just went on 8 interviews (cancelled 1). The match data suggests 9-10 is enough. Yet, from my school the average person going into the field applies to 24 programs. This year, 15 was the society guidelines for average applicants, so that's what I went with. It just feels super hard to actually know... and I think the fear of not matching and the weirdness of this year is pushing people towards overdoing it. I agree with interview capping (at a reasonable number, whatever that is) but as others have said that ship has sailed this year.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Care
Wow, I think you are my hero. When I have >2 virtual interview days in a row I completely loose all sense of time/ organization. I recently went on the interview for what I originally thought was my #4 program (likely to shift lower due to sense of fit and my own incompetence during the interview) and I missed (as in failed to log in for) 2 of the sessions just from zoning out. One at least was just a social hour, and neither was a 1:1 interview, but I wouldn't put it past myself to miss one of those before the interview season is over...

I'm also impressed by people who confidently know the number they need. I was recently speaking with an MD/PhD who said 10 interviews was way too many. The most rockstar applicant I know who went into my field from my school a couple years ago just went on 8 interviews (cancelled 1). The match data suggests 9-10 is enough. Yet, from my school the average person going into the field applies to 24 programs. This year, 15 was the society guidelines for average applicants, so that's what I went with. It just feels super hard to actually know... and I think the fear of not matching and the weirdness of this year is pushing people towards overdoing it. I agree with interview capping (at a reasonable number, whatever that is) but as others have said that ship has sailed this year.
I had 6 days this week and 6 days next week but I have to jam pack this month since my school only allows 2 days off and I go back to rotation. The most exhausting part is the zoom fatigue from socials and I'm someone who overthinks all my interactions so I can't sleep at night!!! Like the other day I was like omg maybe this thing I said in the resident break out room could be miscontrued and thought of as rude and I had a massive panic attack!

I did ask my department chair and PD and they said to go on as many as I can and stop dropping. I know my friends in other specialties and schools were advised the same. But, I did drop a couple of "top" programs though since I didn't have an interest in doing 7 years of gen surg residency (sorry) and my school's restrictions mean I can't miss more than 2 days in January. I kept only the community programs in my home state. I think an interview cap would've been helpful since my PD and chair's advice makes me nervous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
I had 6 days this week and 6 days next week but I have to jam pack this month since my school only allows 2 days off and I go back to rotation. The most exhausting part is the zoom fatigue and I'm someone who overthinks all my interactions so I can't sleep at night!!! Like the other day I was like omg maybe this thing I said in the resident break out room could be miscontrued and thought of as rude and I had a massive panic attack!

I did ask my department chair and PD and they said to go on as many as I can and stop dropping. I know my friends in other specialties and schools were advised the same. But, I did drop a couple of "top" programs though since I didn't have an interest in doing 7 years of gen surg residency (sorry) and my school's restrictions mean I can't miss more than 2 days in January. I kept only the community programs in my home state. I think an interview cap would've been helpful since my PD and chair's advice makes me nervous.
Honestly I am really starting to think things will work out almost exactly as they have in years past for 95% of people. I wouldn't worry about dropping some programs you don't really want to go to, especially if you have 18+ invites.

I feel you on the 7 year programs, I have some 6 year ones and that is more tolerable in my head (at least I tell myself that lol), but 2 years in a lab just sounds ROUGH.

• Love
I had 6 days this week and 6 days next week but I have to jam pack this month since my school only allows 2 days off and I go back to rotation. The most exhausting part is the zoom fatigue from socials and I'm someone who overthinks all my interactions so I can't sleep at night!!! Like the other day I was like omg maybe this thing I said in the resident break out room could be miscontrued and thought of as rude and I had a massive panic attack!

the bolded: you are literally me. I’m doing a virtual rotation right now so I’m squeezing in as many interviews as possible in this block because my school is also very strict about only 2 days off. 8/10 of my interviews are during this 4 week block that ends next week.

also overthink everything that I say or do or look like or sound like in these interviews which only exacerbates my baseline insomnia and anxiety.

the bolded: you are literally me. I’m doing a virtual rotation right now so I’m squeezing in as many interviews as possible in this block because my school is also very strict about only 2 days off. 8/10 of my interviews are during this 4 week block that ends next week.

also overthink everything that I say or do or look like or sound like in these interviews which only exacerbates my baseline insomnia and anxiety.
I have some friends who claim they're doing amazing on every interview and meanwhile I'm like overthinking my life!!! I don't know what's wrong with me.
I did multiple practice interviews with faculty who said I was fine, but ...idk. I just never feel like I'm doing well lol esp with how short surgery is 5-15 minutes with the rare 20 minute one.
I need to black out and wake up on match day.
Why are our schools so difficult...literally 0 flexibility

• Care
I feel like I killed every interview right after it's done. But after 2-3 hours, I'm convinced I'll be SOAP-ing

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
The most exhausting part is the zoom fatigue from socials and I'm someone who overthinks all my interactions so I can't sleep at night!!! Like the other day I was like omg maybe this thing I said in the resident break out room could be misconstrued and thought of as rude and I had a massive panic attack!
Yes!!! The other night I was in a social for one of my top programs and I made a ridiculous comment that I immediately regretted. Even my partner (who could overhear) later came up to me and was like, "Why would you say that? Especially around people that you barely know..." I have no answer other than nerves.

• Sad
Wow, I think you are my hero. When I have >2 virtual interview days in a row I completely lose all sense of time/ organization. I recently went on the interview for what I originally thought was my #4 program (likely to shift lower due to sense of fit and my own incompetence during the interview) and I missed (as in failed to log in for) 2 of the sessions just from zoning out. One at least was just a social hour, and neither was a 1:1 interview, but I wouldn't put it past myself to miss one of those before the interview season is over...

Ideally, I would like to have a day off in between but it unfortunately didn’t work out that way for me. The days with both an interview and a meet + greet are the worst I think.

I dropped interviews because my percentage of matching would be ~98% in a normal year. I’d rather focus on the 15 or so one’s I’d rather be at than spread myself too thin. I also have TY interviews that fill my schedule up quite a bit too

Would love to see the NRMP move the main match to mid February. This 3-4 month wait with virtually no way to know where you stand is excruciating :arghh:

Is it okay to send a LOI post waitlist?