MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the bolded really true? I've heard this but never really believed it. How can a program with say, 15+ spots expect to interview and rank enough people if they are only looking at students who auditioned there. They must be having people audition into February? And if so, still that's slim pickings for the programs part. I can see the desire to want to see the applicant on the service but still that's a bit obnoxious imo
I don't think any non-competitve specialties like IM,FM are requiring things like that. My colleagues in surgical specialties may argue there is a requirement, i'm not sure.

I'm applying IM and completed 4 Sub-Is. Two of them had unfilled spots last year. I wouldn't label either of them as malignant. They were ok, community programs that had pretty good fellowship placement. Most of the residents were students that completed 3rd year core rotations at the site or completed an audition.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I looked at it for sure. Sometimes to look for “safeties”. Sometimes to look for red flags. The thing is, my core site program really isn’t that bad. But they SOAP close to half I think. For them, I think the problem is they’re trying to date above themselves. Like a 4 saying you have to be a 7+ to go on a date with them. And yeah maybe the 7s/8s take you on a date, but in the end they don’t marry you because they have other better options from other 7s and 8s. Meanwhile, another core site I interviewed with, in the same corporation, but malignant program with scutwork and going over duty hours, always fills 100% with not a single American grad on their roster (no offense meant towards any IMG/FMGs. You can be amazing individuals but it’s well known that matching in general is more difficult for you.)

TLDR: I look at it for sure but it’s hard to decipher what’s really going on.
Real talk. My core rotation site during third year opened a brand new program and told me they were “only interviewing the right side of the bell curve” for their first class.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody starting to put together rank lists? Stress is rising after reading previous years reddit sheets where their impressions were NOT what I got outta zoom...how the hell are we supposed to decide without ever going there?

Anybody starting to put together rank lists? Stress is rising after reading previous years reddit sheets where their impressions were NOT what I got outta zoom...how the hell are we supposed to decide without ever going there?
no lie I had a rank list of all my programs as I was getting invites and have been tweaking it after every interview

Reactions: 3 users
no lie I had a rank list of all my programs as I was getting invites and have been tweaking it after every interview
Oh I have one too but after a few of these it gets blurry. Like I have my #1 for sure and know which programs are in the top tier but the order is killing me. Basically on like #3/4 do I rank the programs I had great interactions with but are further from family (very important factor), or the places that I had okay to good interactions with but that are directly next to family. Its a few scattered Big Ten programs vs a couple in Chicago itself so COL is a big difference too. Who said that 4th year has no stress at all?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing a running list. I was told it makes it easier so recency bias isn't quite as influential.

As for impression accuracy, I completely and enthusiastically agree with you on the anxiety here. Zoom has been terrible for rads interviews because they are completely conversational and I walk away feeling like the programs are essentially the same. Luckily, I got the feeling that they mostly are the exact same in honesty. I would be stressed out if I was applying to a specialty with less standardized training and work schedule.

I'm doing a running list. I was told it makes it easier so recency bias isn't quite as influential.

As for impression accuracy, I completely and enthusiastically agree with you on the anxiety here. Zoom has been terrible for rads interviews because they are completely conversational and I walk away feeling like the programs are essentially the same. Luckily, I got the feeling that they mostly are the exact same in honesty. I would be stressed out if I was applying to a specialty with less standardized training and work schedule.
Yeah thats been my experience with Neuro (mostly). And at the level that I'm applying and getting love from they largely are the same. This is worse than med school apps haha

How do I write an LOI? Any good examples? I don't have any real updates or significant pre-existing ties to the program

same. I have a tab on my residency excel sheet for “ROL” and the second I get an invite I add the program there. I have a ton of columns filled out based on info I found before applying, info I received while interviewing, and impression of the interview. I have every program with an invite ranked, whether I interviewed there yet or not. It’s a living document and I update after every interview or new invite.

How do I write an LOI? Any good examples? I don't have any real updates or significant pre-existing ties to the program
I wrote 5 personalized emails with a board exam update AND Commented on significant ties/match with program mission AND expressing my interest. I’m 0/5 on them.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)

I’ve been using that rank list made from some google excel sheet someone posted on here a week or so ago; it’s awesome! I personalized the columns for things I care more about & it’s been super helpful. I made a column for “gut feeling immediately after interview” too just to remember how I felt. 10/10 recommend checking that thing out !

Reactions: 5 users
I write down info and impressions during the interview so I don't forget but I feel like its splitting hairs at this point. Although my buddy showed me a graph where like 75% of DO grads get their top 3 with like 49% getting top choice so that's at least reassuring a little bit. I'm sure its skewed with primary care overwhelmingly the most but still I'll take it

Reactions: 1 users
I wrote 5 personalized emails with a board exam update AND Commented on significant ties/match with program mission AND expressing my interest. I’m 0/5 on them.
wtf... i might just stick with my no LOI strategy then cuz that seems to be working ok

• Care
I write down info and impressions during the interview so I don't forget but I feel like its splitting hairs at this point. Although my buddy showed me a graph where like 75% of DO grads get their top 3 with like 49% getting top choice so that's at least reassuring a little bit. I'm sure its skewed with primary care overwhelmingly the most but still I'll take it
I'm leery of that stat due to the aforementioned concerns. I trust no one but my sdn frans this cycle.

I use the NRMP prism app to rank programs. I like their rating system. I love rating systems lol

Reactions: 4 users
Can you share this graph?

I saw something similar for the USMD. I just typed in google "matching top 3 US MD residency match" and somehow it popped up.

Side question for you guys, didn't want to make a whole new thread.

Current M3. I'm planning on making a new email address to use solely for residency purposes (I get so much junk on both my personal and my school email). Would it be best to create this email from now and use it for all communication with programs, like VSAS and setting up auditions etc? Some of the sites I want to audition at have you inquire by personally emailing the PC, for example. Or keep it solely for ERAS? My plan had been to keep it for ERAS, but then I thought the discontinuity might be confusing. Probably overthinking it.

Current M3. I'm planning on making a new email address to use solely for residency purposes (I get so much junk on both my personal and my school email). Would it be best to create this email from now and use it for all communication with programs, like VSAS and setting up auditions etc? Some of the sites I want to audition at have you inquire by personally emailing the PC, for example. Or keep it solely for ERAS? My plan had been to keep it for ERAS, but then I thought the discontinuity might be confusing. Probably overthinking it.
I just made a new one for ERAS perod.

It’s what i did

You're over thinking this.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

I would use your school email for communication with programs and vsas/auditions. It's easier for them to see an email from a .edu school email I think and it reinforces where you're from. My school also require us to use our school email for ERAS and while I was pissed about this at first it hasn't been an issue at all. All my ERAS emails for interviews get immediately forwarded to my gmail and to my phone via text so when I get an invite I get three notifications immediately. I haven't missed one invite because of being too slow so I'd say it's working well so far.

But for VSAS and auditions I'd use your school email

Just make one now. If you link to eras then it's actually linked to AAMC account overall and will be used for VSAS. That's perfectly fine and recommended.

Use your school email and download the outlook app. Set it up only for your school email and just use that for all communications. People make way too much of a fuss over using a separate email. Just idk check your emails several times a day? Not sure why this perplexes some people

Yeah mine is similar to sunshine. blurb about why this program. then a little about ties to the area. 0/25 right now. There's a program 5 minutes away from my house and they replied back with "thank you for your interest".

• Sad
Yeah mine is similar to sunshine. blurb about why this program. then a little about ties to the area. 0/25 right now. There's a program 5 minutes away from my house and they replied back with "thank you for your interest".
25???

guys we gotta cool it on the LOIs, soon enough there will be people sending them to every program they apply to and people will be pressured into thinking its a unspoken pseudorequirement

Reactions: 13 users
I think this is why a lot of programs dismiss LOI. Like if you’re sending them to a bunch of programs, do they actually mean anything?

If you send to all and get 1 it was worth it. Last year i got 2 from LOI and 1 from a direct call. Hunger games out here.
Not gonna yield anything when this rolls out of control and everyone sends them to everyone

Ima just stick with the 25$ i spent on my app to them being my LOI and hope im not the only one avoiding LOIs lol

If you send to all and get 1 it was worth it. Last year i got 2 from LOI and 1 from a direct call. Hunger games out here.
This is dumb. No its not worth it bc you're actively devalueing LOIs even for the program you are sending them to! let alone ruining it for everyone else. The match isnt hunger games. Its can I be normal and a likeable person for a few hours in front of a program. If not, you've got other problems.

Reactions: 9 users
25???

guys we gotta cool it on the LOIs, soon enough there will be people sending them to every program they apply to and people will be pressured into thinking its a unspoken pseudorequirement
I have classmates that send LOIs periodically to the same program. This cycle is just bringing out the paranoia in everyone. It's dry out there and the thirst is real.

• Wow
Honestly tho who knows if its literally making things worse for u since ur annoying the program coordinators.. I've done pretty decently so far without sending a single LOI and program coordinators at interviews have literally said that LOI's are a headache. I think the risk/reward ratio isn't that great

I am in an IMG Friendly state and rotated in multiple states. Have ties in multiple regions. Whys that dumb?
Because imagine being a PD and you get 64 LOIs. Are you going to pay any attention to them the next cycle? If many applicants did this many LOIs, they lose their value. Its a Letter of Interest, not a "gib me interview pls" letter.

Because imagine being a PD and you get 64 LOIs. Are you going to pay any attention to them the next cycle? If many applicants did this many LOIs, they lose their value. Its a Letter of Interest, not a "gib me interview pls" letter.
64 is a real low estimate for IM I bet they're sifting through 300+ in a normal cycle and like 500 this year

I still am of the belief that the value of a LOI is almost entirely dependent on the person reading that LOI. You can send the best LOI in the history of the world to a program and if the person in charge of that program doesn't gaf then oh well, that LOI is meaningless. I understand people saying there's no point but I think in some scenarios it's worth a shot. I sent three to my top three programs that I haven't had an interview invite yet, and while I'm 0/3 on those LOIs at least I tried.

I think also for IMGs the game is a bit different. It's much more cut throat unfortunately for them as most programs obviously prefer USMDs/DOs. I don't blame an IMG applicant for shooting their shot.

Anyone remember my post about how auditions suck and I was at this horrible program? I had my interview there today and I still left feeling like it sucked and they hate me so that was fun. They said I did a good job on my audition, but it felt super fake.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone remember my post about how auditions suck and I was at this horrible program? I had my interview there today and I still left feeling like it sucked and they hate me so that was fun. They said I did a good job on my audition, but it felt super fake.
Atta boy! At least you got it. They can go to the bottom of your list if need be. Another one down, onto the next one

I am a USIMG with a CS pass on 3rd attempt. I will do everything I can until that rank deadline. Half my iv last yeat were from networking and 33% this year. Takes stubborn relentless to overcome something like that. Networking is essential and i continue to network now with residents. Sorry but not going to feel bad for usmds concerned that lois are becoming devalued. God forbid you not getting your 17th inv due to excessive lois.

Why did it take you three attempts for CS?

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Had the plastics interview release day today. I did better than expected and got interviews for the programs in the area I was immediately interested in. I think a big thing that helped me there was that I personalized my personal statement for these programs (went 3/3 with that).

Otherwise, had a very weird pattern of invitations. Location is probably going to be one of the top things influencing my rank list this year, quality of training is obviously going to be the other biggest thing, with prestige a pretty decent third. Saying that, I got invitations to top tier programs in areas I'm not that interested in and rejections at lower tier programs in less desirable locations. For instance, I got interviews to top California programs but was rejected from University of Minnesota even though I have many more ties to Minnesota.

I know for other people, this made them think they shouldn't have application caps, but this honestly strengthens my belief that we should. Especially this year, with no other real ways to demonstrate our ties to an area, sending one of your twenty(?) scarce and valuable applications would have functioned as an incontrovertible sign of interest. It would also give PDs the ability to give applications a much more holistic review as they would not be receiving nearly as much chaff.

Reactions: 7 users
25???

Too late. People have already made them pointless. See above.

Atta boy! At least you got it. They can go to the bottom of your list if need be. Another one down, onto the next one
Amen. They said in the group thing “some of you are here because you auditioned, just FYI we don’t interview every auditioner so congrats.”
I still hate the program, but I gotta find a positive spin or I’ll go crazy.

• Wow
I rushed to meet the match and took ck and cs with 2 rotations left in my 3rd year coming off surgery without taking no gaps between any rotations to study. 2nd time failed cis which i almost 100 percented 1st time and 100 percented 3rd time. Guess was too focused on correcting the ice portion that it caused me to be out of character. Had to withdraw with 7 interviews.

Only 6% of imgs fail due to english part. At least half of the remaining 17% who fail in my opinion do so because we are rushed into taking our exams before app deadline. If I had the luxury of needing only step 1 to apply I would have definitely took them later.
I'm sorry but this is inaccurate. Some DO students take PE (same thing but harder time constraints + OMM) near the *beginning* of third year and many take it winter or early spring. They aren't getting study time for CS/PE lol. If anything, the further into rotations you are the more bad habits you pick up compared to the unrealistic CS/PE exam. MD students aren't just sitting around with just step 1 either. That's for specific fields and mostly for high scorers applying to those fields. I don't know enough about IMG situation but I can't imagine why anyone is rushed for CS. You don't need to do a bunch of rotations to pass an exam not based on clinical knowledge.

I'm sorry you are having trouble and I wish you the best.

Use your school email and download the outlook app. Set it up only for your school email and just use that for all communications. People make way too much of a fuss over using a separate email. Just idk check your emails several times a day? Not sure why this perplexes some people
I advocate using a separate email because there is no point in receiving the BS emails schools blow up your regular email addy with daily.

I use rules to automatically delete all my school emails from the known annoying sources but it's just easier to set up a throwaway gmail for eras and put it on a separate app on your phone with a separate notification tone. No false alarms. No checking email. No technical acumen required.

• Haha