MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone used the residency explorer app on aamc? I have a question that pertains to that and the eras app-what the heck is the difference between number of research experiences and number of publications? lol I can't find a definitive answer online anywhere. Im assuming a research experience includes any project youve done regardless of whether it was submitted or published yet and a publication is well something that was actually published?
Yea research is anything you have done even if it didn’t lead to a publication

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone used the residency explorer app on aamc? I have a question that pertains to that and the eras app-what the heck is the difference between number of research experiences and number of publications? lol I can't find a definitive answer online anywhere. Im assuming a research experience includes any project youve done regardless of whether it was submitted or published yet and a publication is well something that was actually published?
If you work on a research team or with one PI that is 1 research experience, but it can lead to multiple pubs. I wouldn’t list every project as a new experience.

But the secret is that it almost assuredly doesn’t matter at all. Pubs matter, just listing a ton of experiences doesn’t.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you work on a research team or with one PI that is 1 research experience, but it can lead to multiple pubs. I wouldn’t list every project as a new experience.

But the secret is that it almost assuredly doesn’t matter at all. Pubs matter, just listing a ton of experiences doesn’t.
So individual projects that have not been submitted yet that are under 1 PI are not multiple experiences? How the heck do people have like 8 research experiences then lol doesn't make any sense as most people usually work under only a select few PIs at most

So individual projects that have not been submitted yet that are under 1 PI are not multiple experiences? How the heck do people have like 8 research experiences then lol doesn't make any sense as most people usually work under only a select few PIs at most
I would think they are multiple experiences since it’s a different project with completely different responsibilities for each one for you. But honestly I don’t think it matters either way. Having one or two more research experiences isn’t going to help someone match somewhere lol

Last edited:
I would think they are multiple experiences since it’s a different project with completely different responsibilities for each one for you. But honestly I don’t think it matters either way. Have one or two more research experiences isn’t going to help someone match somewhere lol
Yeah youre right I think the residency explorer app is making me go borderline insane lmao i need to get off there and chill. Im jst being neurotic bc i just sent my app in yesterday

Yeah youre right I think the residency explorer app is making me go borderline insane lmao i need to get off there and chill. Im jst being neurotic bc i just sent my app in yesterday
Yea man you definitely need to chill, like it’s going to be okay. Your a AMG(MD or DO) with good stats and have good extracurriculars, programs want to see that you are well rounded, that you didn’t just spend all your time studying for step. That’s all you can control at this point, just let the cards fall the way they are meant too.

• Love
Well. I'm losing hope that my letter from my sub-I will ever get uploaded. Seems like the writer just ghosted me and the other students he promised letters to. How bad is this that I now only have letters from third year?? I'm super bummed. Planning to just submit this weekend.

Because people inflate what they actually do and count things the way you are suggesting. Different projects on the same research team or with the same PI really aren’t different experiences.

But no one actually cares about your experiences, they care about the output from those experiences. You’re overthinking it.

Well. I'm losing hope that my letter from my sub-I will ever get uploaded. Seems like the writer just ghosted me and the other students he promised letters to. How bad is this that I now only have letters from third year?? I'm super bummed. Planning to just submit this weekend.
That SUCKS, I'm so sorry! I def think you should just submit, and the letter will get there when it gets there. If it's, like, the week after next, might be worth sending an update to PDs to let them know it's there in case they already printed stuff (I don't think they get a notification, but somebody please correct me if that's wrong!)? And is there anybody else in the department who can lean on the person on behalf of you/other students? Like, talk to the clerkship director, or your home PD, or Dean of Students or something?

That SUCKS, I'm so sorry! I def think you should just submit, and the letter will get there when it gets there. If it's, like, the week after next, might be worth sending an update to PDs to let them know it's there in case they already printed stuff (I don't think they get a notification, but somebody please correct me if that's wrong!)? And is there anybody else in the department who can lean on the person on behalf of you/other students? Like, talk to the clerkship director, or your home PD, or Dean of Students or something?
I just don't think it's gonna get written lol. In conversation with some of the other students, he hasn't responded to any of our emails at all and the fellows/residents who he was supposed to get supporting info from have said he never reached out to any of them. So, just accepting my fate that it's not gonna get written. Luckily I have a back up LOR, but I wanted a LOR from a sub-I/fourth year so it sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I just don't think it's gonna get written lol. In conversation with some of the other students, he hasn't responded to any of our emails at all and the fellows/residents who he was supposed to get supporting info from have said he never reached out to any of them. So, just accepting my fate that it's not gonna get written. Luckily I have a back up LOR, but I wanted a LOR from a sub-I/fourth year so it sucks.
I am so sorry to hear that :( This process can so frustrating. On the positive side, you really don't need a letter from fourth year just to say you have a letter from fourth year. If your other letter is strong that is a good substitution. Based on what your telling us, it seems like he would likely would have written you a generic letter anyway. I know these words aren't going to change how you feel at this very moment, but I promise it is all going to be okay.

I am so sorry to hear that :( This process can so frustrating. On the positive side, you really don't need a letter from fourth year just to say you have a letter from fourth year. If your other letter is strong that is a good substitution. Based on what your telling us, it seems like he would likely would have written you a generic letter anyway. I know these words aren't going to change how you feel at this very moment, but I promise it is all going to be okay.
Thank you, this actually does make me feel better. I know it will all work out in the end.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I think a 4th year sub-I letter where the person barely knows you won’t be a good one. It would have been a generic letter like a chair letter. 3rd year letters where you actually spend a decent amount of one on one time with an attending are much much better.

Is there a point to which too many applications can be detriment to the process? I'm applying FM. Step is 230, Level 1 is 550, Level 2 is 520. I feel like my ECs are a bit weak and I am concerned I only have one FM letter.

Trying to stay in north east so i applied to 70 programs. Want to stay in state, ideally, and I'm kind of worried I'll be getting all interviews in the middle of nowhere early and then have no room to interview at state programs or something...

Is there a point to which too many applications can be detriment to the process? I'm applying FM. Step is 230, Level 1 is 550, Level 2 is 520. I feel like my ECs are a bit weak and I am concerned I only have one FM letter.

Trying to stay in north east so i applied to 70 programs. Want to stay in state, ideally, and I'm kind of worried I'll be getting all interviews in the middle of nowhere early and then have no room to interview at state programs or something...
Only detriment would be having overlapping interviews that I could think of. As long as you cancel overlapping interviews or interviews at programs you don’t actually plan to rank with a few days notice so the program can schedule another person i don’t really see a detriment to over applying. Realistically you can schedule 5+ interviews in a single week with virtual interviews, even more so if you do AM and PM interviews but I wouldn’t recommend this because interview fatigue is 100% real.

If you apply to 70 programs you will get at least 30 interviews, especially with FM and your scores. Every current FM intern from my school I've talked to received about 50-60% invites to the # of programs they applied to. Even weaker applicants without red flags and are US grads can get away with ~40 programs

Reactions: 1 users
in the vein of letters, I have submitted my app but haven’t paid yet. I can still assign letters as needed - if I go ahead and pay, am I still able to assign letters? I am waiting on one final letter.

AAMC has a smart apply data set showing when number of applications is detrimental. The I’ll admit I ignored it and applied to twice the recommended number of peds programs

You probably applied to too many. Just prioritize where you want to be. I went FM, applied 46 and got 32 interviews. I fit in the programs that mattered to me and dropped the ones that didnt.

AAMC has a smart apply data set showing when number of applications is detrimental. The I’ll admit I ignored it and applied to twice the recommended number of peds programs
Thanks for the tip. Only went up to 40 where it seemed like, strangely, for low score applicants there was a dip. Unsure what to make of that, and it cuts off at 40 where I feel like the jump from 40-80 is where people start to get neurotic.

You probably applied to too many. Just prioritize where you want to be. I went FM, applied 46 and got 32 interviews. I fit in the programs that mattered to me and dropped the ones that didnt.
Haven't submitted just yet. Was going to do sunday. Honestly I am a bit worried because I don't have many volunteer experiences, and have one rather than two FM letters.

in the vein of letters, I have submitted my app but haven’t paid yet. I can still assign letters as needed - if I go ahead and pay, am I still able to assign letters? I am waiting on one final letter.
Yes. After applying, you can upload a new PS, transcript, MSPE, or letters. You can't remove a letter, so once you've assigned 4 that's it.

I am low key stressed because I did ERAS in less than 2 hours. Other than the Personal statement which I had already and the Experiences which basically copy-pasted from my resume that I had made recently what is taking everyone so much time to complete? Like I keep seeing my classmates at coffee shops working on this and I'm just worried I'm missing something. Dont have much in the way of research, so im wondering what are the big time sinks??

I am low key stressed because I did ERAS in less than 2 hours. Other than the Personal statement which I had already and the Experiences which basically copy-pasted from my resume that I had made recently what is taking everyone so much time to complete? Like I keep seeing my classmates at coffee shops working on this and I'm just worried I'm missing something. Dont have much in the way of research, so im wondering what are the big time sinks??
Because we are paranoid panickers that’s why

I probably filled mine out in about the same amount of time because I just copy pasted most stuff from the CV document I maintain, if you don’t have an updated CV it may take longer to come up with descriptions for everything I guess. But I still have yet to submit (today’s project…) and keep going back for minor tweaks from a combination of panic and procrastination

You did it the right way. It takes a couple hours. I didn't get what people were talking about last year either when I opened it up and just put my stuff in there.

Whats the consensus on LoR when the site says "3 letter of recommendations are required." Is that a minimum or do thy strictly only want 3. I'm asking because I have 4 that I think are likely to be very good and I want to send them all, but I also don't want to have a "red flag" if they really only wanted 3.

Whats the consensus on LoR when the site says "3 letter of recommendations are required." Is that a minimum or do thy strictly only want 3. I'm asking because I have 4 that I think are likely to be very good and I want to send them all, but I also don't want to have a "red flag" if they really only wanted 3.
You can def have 4. I assigned 4 to every program my 4th was a PI letter

You can def have 4. I assigned 4 to every program my 4th was a PI letter
Okay yeah I think I'm going to just submit 4 to all of them and if they don't want to read them all that's fine.

For neuro I'm doing: 2 from neurologists, including clerkship director; 1 from IM attending; and 1 from long-time PI

For prelim I' doing: 1 from IM attending,;1 from IM dept chair; 1 from neuro attending; and 1 from long-time PI

Someone please let me know within the next 2 hours if you think this is a bad idea!! Otherwise I will be submitting the app.

Okay yeah I think I'm going to just submit 4 to all of them and if they don't want to read them all that's fine.

For neuro I'm doing: 2 from neurologists, including clerkship director; 1 from IM attending; and 1 from long-time PI

For prelim I' doing: 1 from IM attending,;1 from IM dept chair; 1 from neuro attending; and 1 from long-time PI

Someone please let me know within the next 2 hours if you think this is a bad idea!! Otherwise I will be submitting the app.
Sometimes they will only read 3 if 3 are required but nothing you can do about that… just submit 4 if you have 4.

It took me a similar amount of time, maybe even less. I remember saying the same thing when I opened ERAS: this is it?? It's literally just your CV.

I think it's also because there's not one definitive way we're told to format our application, so a lot of stress goes into doing what we think will look best I.e. bullet points vs. paragraphs in descriptions, short and sweet vs. max out all the characters, what counts as "research" or a publication, etc.

I took so long because im an anxious horrible person lol.

I was paranoid the "can you fufill the duties of a resident?" randomly switched to no

I think it's also because there's not one definitive way we're told to format our application, so a lot of stress goes into doing what we think will look best I.e. bullet points vs. paragraphs in descriptions, short and sweet vs. max out all the characters, what counts as "research" or a publication, etc.
I get that but thinking from a PD perspective do you think they care about that at all ??

Reactions: 3 users
Finally submitted my app. I was planning to do it this past Wednesday but my neuroticism got the best of me and I spent the past 3 days obsessively reading over it a million times. Still waiting on my two SLOEs to be uploaded though so the anxiety continues until I get at least one of them in.

Last edited:
Applying psych.
1 gen surg letter (speaks to general attributes)
1 hospitalist letter
3 strong psych letters

How should I assign 4 letters to programs? 3 psych and 1 hosp or gen surg letter? 2 psych and 1 hosp/1gen surg? I don't know about the quality of the hospitalist or gen surgeon letter.

Waiving rights to letters is such a terrible practice. Your app could be a lot better or a lot worse if you have a glowing letter versus a super middling letter.

Thanks for the tip. Only went up to 40 where it seemed like, strangely, for low score applicants there was a dip. Unsure what to make of that, and it cuts off at 40 where I feel like the jump from 40-80 is where people start to get neurotic.

Haven't submitted just yet. Was going to do sunday. Honestly I am a bit worried because I don't have many volunteer experiences, and have one rather than two FM letters.
I only had one FM letter! You’ll be fine

Applying psych.
1 hospitalist letter
3 strong psych letters

How should I assign 4 letters to programs? 3 psych and 1 hosp or gen surg letter? 2 psych and 1 hosp/1gen surg? I don't know about the quality of the hospitalist or gen surgeon letter.

Waiving rights to letters is such a terrible practice. Your app could be a lot better or a lot worse if you have a glowing letter versus a super middling letter.
I would personally do the 3 psych for sure, then whichever one of the other two you think is stronger

do we include undergrad hospital/clinical volunteer experiences in eras?
I didnt unless it was something very unique. The purpose of those type of experiences was to show u are comfortable around sick people. Which is a moot point after completing medical school

Applying psych.
1 hospitalist letter
3 strong psych letters

Letter writers are much less willing to be honest about an applicant - whether good or bad - if they know the applicant will see the letter. As a result, you’d get a lot of generic, decently good letters that program directors can’t value because they don’t know if the comments are honest.

Is it important to put "Average Hours/Week" for volunteer experiences ?

You guys I have been so behind. Busy rotation.

I'm so sorry if this has been asked (I've skimmed the last three pages, so it's not there at least), but how long would you all wait on something like a Gold Humanism award? I was nominated and applied, and emailed my school earlier this week to get the reply back of "we know it would be useful for you to know, we'll tell you soon" (???)

Got that email back Tuesday. Obviously, it's Saturday now, and they still haven't told us anything yet.

Wouldn't usually care, but this is actually an ERAS checkbox, so I know it's something PDs can filter by.

So, since we're down to the wire... submit and certify my application without checking the box since I don't know (and just email programs I'm really interested in with an update later as an excuse to say hey, I'm still interested if I get it), or wait until the very last minute to certify/submit to let my school have a chance to decide whether I'm getting it or not?

Last edited:
You guys I have been so behind. Busy rotation.

I'm so sorry if this has been asked (I've skimmed the last three pages, so it's not there at least), but how long would you all wait on something like a Gold Humanism award? I was nominated and applied, and emailed my school earlier this week to get the reply back of "we know it would be useful for you to know, we'll tell you soon" (???)

Got that email back Tuesday. Obviously, it's Saturday now, and they still haven't told us anything yet.

Wouldn't usually care, but this is actually an ERAS checkbox, so I know it's something PDs can filter by.

So, since we're down to the wire... submit and certify my application without checking the box since I don't know (and just email programs I'm really interested in with an update later as an excuse to say hey, I'm still interested if I get it), or wait until the very last minute to certify/submit to let my school have a chance to decide whether I'm getting it or not?

You can change your Gold Humanism status even after you submit and certify! It's under "personal information", which you are still able to edit afterwards.

• Love
You can change your Gold Humanism status even after you submit and certify! It's under "personal information", which you are still able to edit afterwards.
You just made my entire night. Just thought I'd let you know.

Applying psych.
1 hospitalist letter
3 strong psych letters

In that case, use the 3 strong psych letters at all, and then add gen surg letter to some, and hospitalist letter to others. That’s what I did when I had extra letters I wasn’t sure about.

Ah yes, here comes the anxiety of "Boy I really hope I'm making the right decision about going into the field I'm applying for"