MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Went down my list a little. Sort of sad I didn't get my #1 or #2 but the rest were interchangeable. Nice people where I am at. Just stings a bit.

Back in my day, I opened up my email on Monday and found out I didn't match with 15 programs ranked. That not only stung, but it felt like getting hit upside the head with a two by four.

You are going to get great training and be a great doc. You won't think twice about this in a few years. I get there could be some disappointment based on location, program, etc...but you're still in a great position and have a job for next year!

For me, I was worried about even getting a spot. I didn't get to go celebrate with everyone else (I think I just laid around for about two weeks straight in a pseudo-depression). That is the one thing I regret. I feel I was robbed of that. You haven't been, so get out there and celebrate with your friends/family! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Back in my day, I opened up my email on Monday and found out I didn't match with 15 programs ranked. That not only stung, but it felt like getting hit upside the head with a two by four.

You are going to get great training and be a great doc. You won't think twice about this in a few years. I get there could be some disappointment based on location, program, etc...but you're still in a great position and have a job for next year!

For me, I was worried about even getting a spot. I didn't get to go celebrate with everyone else (I think I just laid around for about two weeks straight in a pseudo-depression). That is the one thing I regret. I feel I was robbed of that. You haven't been, so get out there and celebrate with your friends/family! Congrats!

Yeah no I get that. I am very grateful for my spot! And its nothing compared to people who had to SOAP or scramble.

I suppose it feels a bit like being blindsided by a place where I did a sub-i, thought I had a good relationship with and all. Those feelings will pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah no I get that. I am very grateful for my spot! And its nothing compared to people who had to SOAP or scramble.

I suppose it feels a bit like being blindsided by a place where I did a sub-i, thought I had a good relationship with and all. Those feelings will pass.
I went through the exact same thing two years ago. It’s hard, but you will find a reason to love your program.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Accidental quote?

When that sort of thing in general happens to me, I make up a narrative about it. For instance, the place you did the Sub-i loved you and wanted you there, but they had some of their own people they needed to take care of and there was maybe some nepotism thing that happened. They had you ranked high, but they ended up matching all their people really high as well and they barely missed you.

It helps make it not seem personal.

Reactions: 3 users

Literally the same.

I got passed over for both IR and DR at a place where I did an audition, I'm local, and I'm within their board score range - they didn't match me, and I fell down to my #10.

I am so upset my #1/#2 (where I did aways) passed me over. I'm angry that my #3, where the PD was "obsessed" with my work experience and seemed like he was really trying to sell the program to me, passed me over. I am SO EXCITED to be a radiologist. I did an away in the city where I matched but not at this program, but I matched it anyway and I loved it there.

So I am STOKED about both my prelim and TY. I matched reasonable cost of living areas in places that I've been to before and loved. But I feel like so many people lied to me. It's such a complicated set of emotions.

BUT I AM GOING TO BE A RADIOLOGIST!!!! :love:

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
WOOOO LETS GO BABY

Reactions: 2 users
I got my #1, I’m so excited and happy!!!! Congrats everyone, we did it!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Matched my #4! A little sad that I won’t be going back to my home state but this is a program that I’m really excited about and it will be a new adventure!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Matched my number 9, Slightly disappointed, but grateful. I kept telling myself I would be Ok as long I don't get number 12 or 13, but then when I saw the location all that came to my mind was dang 8 programs really didn't want anything to do with me. I even got a personalized email from my number 2 saying how they were impressed by my app and interview. It hurts, but I think I'll be Ok.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Matched my #1 🥳 🥳 So happy to go to a place that also wanted me.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ranked at my #2, where I'd gotten a RTM email so today wasn't a very surprising day :bored:... Until I found out who my co-interns will be, and I'm really excited to spend the next 4 years with some of the smartest people I know in a fantastic institution :banana: Congrats everyone, and see you all again on the ERAS fellowship hysteria thread (if there is such a thing)!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

I’m joining the #3 gang, in psychiatry!

Exact same thing happened to me. DO student. Competitive applicant but no step 2. Sub-I at my #1 went really well it seemed, great feedback only, and they suggested I start research with them, so I did, close to match day (😉😉). They matched all MDs this year and I was a bit disappointed. But #3 is great and I’m excited! I think part of any disappointment is it’s nearby in a familiar place and I had mentally developed expectations of a big exciting move to a sunnier place.

The advice above about depersonalizing getting shafted by programs that liked us is helpful, thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my number 1 and got on national TV. Safe to say yesterday was LIT ....

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
While making my ROL, I was constantly switching around my #1-3, I liked them all the same! I ended up matching my #3 but honestly so happy. I was just hoping for any of my top 3!

Reactions: 5 users
Have you guys secured housing or apartment yet? I've noticed nice/desirable places were going super fast where I'm heading. So I'm worried because I still don't know what the ideal location to live in would be. I plan to talk to some residents later today, so hopefully I'll get something by the end of the week.

Have you guys secured housing or apartment yet? I've noticed nice/desirable places were going super fast where I'm heading. So I'm worried because I still don't know what the ideal location to live in would be. I plan to talk to some residents later today, so hopefully I'll get something by the end of the week.
No. Started the process of getting a physician mortgage.

Reactions: 1 users
One of the perks of where I'm headed is that it seems to have a great rental market - looks like there's tons of really nice options within my price range. Planning to contact a realtor/apartment hunter soon to help me put together a list and then fly out in a couple weeks to do in person showings/pick something. I'm not sure what the turnover is like for making offers, but it seems like much of the rental market is huge buildings that always have at least one or two vacancies.

Reactions: 1 user
This will be me in a year. How easy has it been so far?
We got the name of a realtor and lender from one of the residents in the program I'm going to. They have helped many incoming residents so the process has been very easy. Much easier than I expected

Late to the party, but matched my number one.

Haters can kick rocks

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Shameless plug since we're talking of real estate and doctor mortgages: If anyone needs a real estate agent in the NYC/Westchester area, i got you! Got my real estate license in my spare time lol

Anyone knows the health/dental benefits covered thru residency program are zero cost or we have to pay or it is different for every state. Where I'm heading the rent is reasonable but still trying to figure it out how to manage everything, rent, food etc?

Last edited:
Anyone knows the health/dental benefits covered thru residency program are zero cost or we have to pay or it is different for every state. Where I'm heading the rent is reasonable but still trying to figure it out how to manage everything, rent, food etc?
At some places it's covered by the Hospital, and at others you pay a discounted price. It depends on the program. You can always call your program coordinator and ask. Either way, it's not supposed to break your paycheck lol.

At some places it's covered by the Hospital, and at others you pay a discounted price. It depends on the program. You can always call your program coordinator and ask. Either way, it's not supposed to break your paycheck lol.
The program coordinator is on vacation so I will wait. Every penny counts....lol

I pay for mine and my husband’s. It’s through the hospital but it definitely isn’t zero cost unfortunately.

What’s the longest commute you guys are willing to do? I lived 10 min away from my school and major hospitals during rotations and loved it, now looking at some places 20 min away and not sure if that will be too long during intern year?

What’s the longest commute you guys are willing to do? I lived 10 min away from my school and major hospitals during rotations and loved it, now looking at some places 20 min away and not sure if that will be too long during intern year?
Surely, you're joking......20 Minutes

My dad is in real estate business and he helped residence buying their homes here in Northern CA. He was saying that it's better to go thru mortgage broker and they do have special programs for residents. It all depends on how much you make and your credit score and also depends where are you buying. In CA the prices of the homes are skyrocketing and I can't buy during residence. He works with lot of mortgage brokers if someone needs help, just send me a pvt message.

Surely, you're joking......20 Minutes

20 min without traffic but probably would be the longest regular commute I’ve had, honestly. Keep reading about people having 5 min walks to their hospitals and how nice that is but would be too far of a drive for my wife to continue her job. Just not sure how it works with 80 hour work weeks.

My place is 20 minutes away from the main hospital, and less than 10 minutes away from the main office where we have didactics and clinics. I used to comute more than 20 minutes to work before med school, so I think it's doable.

Mine is 20 and it’s no biggie. I just blast music and unwind lol

I've been commuting at least 30 minutes pretty much all 3 years minus the initial covid year. Rotation commute has been 45 minutes on average with >1 hour during afternoons most of the time due to rush hour

I really look forward to a 10min commute in the future (during residency hopefully)

I commuted 30 min for my job prior to med school, and it was terrible.

20 min without traffic but probably would be the longest regular commute I’ve had, honestly. Keep reading about people having 5 min walks to their hospitals and how nice that is but would be too far of a drive for my wife to continue her job. Just not sure how it works with 80 hour work weeks.
My point is try not to get crazy with commute time unless it is something like an hour. 20 Minutes is not bad.

Best of luck.

not all commutes are created equal. 20 minutes on public transit is very different from 20 minutes stuck in bumper to bumper traffic which is very different from 20 minutes on wide open highways. then there's also "20 minute" commutes in places like LA that can easily become an hour

imo 15-20 minutes is totally fine though. I had several 40 min commutes for clinical sites 3rd year which I would absolutely avoid for residency, and definitely would not do anything above that unless there's like one really far out clinical site and everything else is nearby

lol one of the programs I dropped past on my list sent a post-recruitment survey saying "since you didn't match with us, your input is even more valuable!"

idk what to tell you man you're the ones who didn't like me lol

• Haha
Mine will be 35-40. sucks but we already had a house.

Man how quickly I've gone from worrying about matching to worrying about affording rent lol

Reactions: 5 users