Cold feet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seadizzle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising senior.

I've been premed since first year, volunteering, shadowing, now have a good research gig at the med school during the school year that I do 6 or 7 hours a week. I haven't been pressured by my parents, classmates, anything.

I have strong gpa, and I took the mcat last summer and did well (3.85/38).

It's time for me to apply for med school, you know, what I've been working the last few years. And I'm frozen. :eek:

I'm at home now and I haven't filled out any forms, haven't asked teachers for recs. All I have been thinking for the last month of school (and now into summer) is the negatives: 8 years (4 med + 4 [or more] residency) committment with little compensation, fighting with insurance companies, malpractice...!

For the last few weeks I'm compensating for my previous focus on medicine: I'm taking a shotgun approach. I signed up for the LSAT in june, I am studying case interviews for consulting jobs. I'm a math major so I've been looking at math or economics or operations research grad schools (I'm a math major). I've been doing research on quant jobs in investment banks. Basically I'm freaking out-careerwise.

Even worse I don't feel like I can talk to my premed advisor, I feel like I have to put the mask on about being certain about med school.

Would it be stupid for me NOT to apply to med school right now considering all the work I've done up to this point? Would it be stupid for me TO apply because I haven't explored enough to commit 8 years? Is this normal cold feet :oops: , has anyone else gone through something similar?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

seadizzle said:
I'm a rising senior.

I've been premed since first year, volunteering, shadowing, now have a good research gig at the med school during the school year that I do 6 or 7 hours a week. I haven't been pressured by my parents, classmates, anything.

It's time for me to apply for med school, you know, what I've been working the last few years. And I'm frozen. :eek:

I'm at home now and I haven't filled out any forms, haven't asked teachers for recs. All I have been thinking for the last month of school (and now into summer) is the negatives: 8 years (4 med + 4 [or more] residency) committment with little compensation, fighting with insurance companies, malpractice...!

For the last few weeks I'm compensating for my previous focus on medicine: I'm taking a shotgun approach. I signed up for the LSAT in june, I am studying case interviews for consulting jobs. I'm a math major so I've been looking at math or economics or operations research grad schools (I'm a math major). I've been doing research on quant jobs in investment banks. Basically I'm freaking out-careerwise.

Even worse I don't feel like I can talk to my premed advisor, I feel like I have to put the mask on about being certain about med school.

Would it be stupid for me NOT to apply to med school right now considering all the work I've done up to this point? Would it be stupid for me TO apply because I haven't explored enough to commit 8 years? Is this normal cold feet :oops: , has anyone else gone through something similar?

if you're unsure about medicine as a career, don't apply until you are. medicine doesn't just end after 8 years, it's a lifetime commitment. it's not stupid for you not to apply right now, your numbers will last you 2-3 years, which will hopefully allow you to better understand what you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
LSAT?

You might as well go to law. You do not have what it takes for medicine. Specifically, a thorough distaste for those in law school.

I considered taking the LSAT after talking to many, many doctors. Here is exactly what they told me after I asked "Should I go into medicine?":

"NO. Definitely not....well, you just really have to want to do it."

I DO really want to do it. My future is in medicine. Do you feel the same way?

If you can't answer the question, just flip a coin. :thumbup:

I think what you're doing right now is pretty smart. It's good not to apply yet if you feel like you'd rather explore other options first. Ultimately, if you do want to apply, you'll have a much better idea of why. Do your various activities, plan to take a year off from school, and then apply next year (if you decide that you do in fact want to pursue medicine). Best of luck!

McGillGrad said:
LSAT?

You might as well go to law. You do not have what it takes for medicine. Specifically, a thorough distaste for those in law school.

Not all of those in law school...just those that evolve into malpractice lawyers!! ;)

Seems like there is pretty much a consensus here. And it seems like pretty good advice, I think I'm going to continue to do research to strengthen my app, and pursue other stuff this summer and next year.

Thanks guys.

seadizzle said:
Seems like there is pretty much a consensus here. And it seems like pretty good advice, I think I'm going to continue to do research to strengthen my app, and pursue other stuff this summer and next year.

Thanks guys.

I'd say you app sounds fine. If I was you, I'd take the next two years to explore all your other career options. If you like any of them better than medicine, you can change direction. If not, you can write a killer personal statement that explains how you thought medicine was what you wanted to do from the beginning, then you explored your options thoroughly, and now you KNOW that medicine is for you.

Good luck!

You sound a lot like me with your shotgun approach. I did apply and got accepted. The problem is that class starts in a couple months and I still don't know if I'm going to go.

First you get a whisper,
then you get a pebble upside your head,
then a brick falls down on you
then the whole brick wall starts crashing down...

that feeling of being frozen is probably just your gut telling you there might be other things out there you may want to try before embarking on the set path.
Once you are in medical school, you will only feel more guilty if you want to leave because you have had invested so much time and money into the whole process of getting there. If you're not sure, you may risk being unhappy for the rest of your life, wondering what could've been.

newguy357 said:
You sound a lot like me with your shotgun approach. I did apply and got accepted. The problem is that class starts in a couple months and I still don't know if I'm going to go.

That's what I was thinking, how much *more* would I know next may when I have to decide if I'm going to go to med school or not.

Good luck with your choice :)

IDforMe said:
I'd say you app sounds fine. If I was you, I'd take the next two years to explore all your other career options. If you like any of them better than medicine, you can change direction. If not, you can write a killer personal statement that explains how you thought medicine was what you wanted to do from the beginning, then you explored your options thoroughly, and now you KNOW that medicine is for you.

Good luck!

That's what I was thinking, medicine isn't eliminated as an option if I don't do it right out of college. And I think a personal statement from someone who has tried other paths could be stronger than one who hasn't.

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad :)
Could deferring admission be a possibility? (either for the OP after completing the application process, or for the other poster who mentioned being on the fence with classes starting soon)

MedChic said:
First you get a whisper,
then you get a pebble upside your head,
then a brick falls down on you
then the whole brick wall starts crashing down...

that feeling of being frozen is probably just your gut telling you there might be other things out there you may want to try before embarking on the set path.
Once you are in medical school, you will only feel more guilty if you want to leave because you have had invested so much time and money into the whole process of getting there. If you're not sure, you may risk being unhappy for the rest of your life, wondering what could've been.

:eek: risk being unhappy the rest of my life. I hadn't thought that far ahead. I don't think I'd be unhappy being a doctor...but the question of what "could have been" may be unsettling, especially during the trials of med school and residency.

seadizzle said:
I'm a rising senior.

Take your time and figure out what you want to do but don't let that MCAT score expire before you rule out medicine!

NY Musicologist said:
Could deferring admission be a possibility? (either for the OP after completing the application process, or for the other poster who mentioned being on the fence with classes starting soon)

If you haven't applied yet and are unsure, then you shouldn't apply. Deferring is not a good option, because most med schools don't let you defer as a matter of right. Assume you won't get a deferral, and so if you don't go you will have a blemish on your future app for having turned down a med school previously. So no, bad idea. Figure out what you want to do and only then pull the trigger. If it takes a few years before you know what you want to be then you will just be a few years wiser. Good luck.

I was unsure about what I wanted to do when I graduated as well.
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT go to LAW SCHOOL in order to "Hit the Snooze Button" on life. My husband just finished law school, and it was a lot of work! He always wanted to go, but saw the people who just went to just go (Or because they thought it sounded good, or didn't know what else to do...) and said they were miserable by 2nd quarter, first year, if not sooner.

It is OK to take some time off. You don't have to put on the pre-med happy face for anyone. When I tried to do that senior year, I couldn't hack it. Go with your gut. If you want to be a doctor, you'll still be able to apply in a year from now, and 22/23 is hardly old as an applicant. Your PS would certainly be interesting, ala: "I took extra time to give a life in medicine full consideration."

Good luck to you. :luck:

It is tough to take care of the sick the old and the dying when you are young. Take a couple of years if you want to broaden your horizons. Med school will still be here in a couple of years and you will feel much more committed to the endeavor if you try something else.

Question:

I took the MCATs august 2005. It says they are good for three years.

So, clearly I could apply this (2006) and next (2007) application cycle.

How about 2008? I'd submit the AMCAS when my MCATs were still valid, but by the time I was going for interviews they would have expired.

seadizzle said:
Question:

I took the MCATs august 2005.

What is an "MCATs"?

I know what the MCAT is, but not the MCATs.

McGillGrad said:
What is an "MCATs"?

I know what the MCAT is, but not the MCATs.

You've been so helpful.

seadizzle said:
Question:

I took the MCATs august 2005. It says they are good for three years.

So, clearly I could apply this (2006) and next (2007) application cycle.

How about 2008? I'd submit the AMCAS when my MCATs were still valid, but by the time I was going for interviews they would have expired.

i honestly don't know the answer to this. however: i agree with the consensus and really really think you should take time to do something else before applying.

i also want to say that (re-)taking the MCAT isn't so bad if you end up having to. i took it 10+ years after i'd taken most of my "premed" type classes, and with a little review for ~3 months i did well, and i feel like th info is refreshed for going into school.

so, i'd personally say don't push whatever you need to do right now such that all you think about is your MCAT expiring. go out. live life. try things. succeed at some, fail at others, and if you decide you want to be a doctor later, med school will still be there, even if you have to retake the MCAT.

just try to live now such that you don't have regrets later (both of action and, more importantly, of omission).

OP...

You are in quite a predicament. and I disagree with the posters thus far on one major point. You are experiecing cold feet. Absolutely, and I believe its perfectly natural. People who have a one tracked mind can do fine and say hey medicine is for me -- and they dont care what else is out there...

Thats fine.

But someone as yourself has numerous options available, and the thought of giving up those options to be railroaded into a career in medicine in which you'll be training for the next 8 years is a difficult decision.

I have had similar plights as you, but you are ahead of the game. I ended up taking a career after applying and thinking I wasnt going to be accepted. But then I was accepted. Ohh, then 4 months of arguing and appeals and deferment requests.. I will be attending medical school this fall. I failed at attemping to explore alternative paths.

But I am not too concerned, my cold feet have given way and now I am in an acceptance stage and realize this is what i was to do.

Secondly, you are correct the MCAT you took last year (05) will only be good through next year. So you can apply this year or next with that awesome score.

Lastly, I would apply, something made you work this hard for this long. And I doubt it wasn't coupled with medicine. But I could be wrong.

Pick a select few schools, Apply. and when the secondaries come in, decide then if you still want to go.

It'll buy you another few months. As well, you won't be starting for a year, and I dont know if you are a senior now that is graduated. But if so, that gives you almost a year to explore. (I had only 7 months and that was enough).

Best of luck

shoal said:
Lastly, I would apply, something made you work this hard for this long. And I doubt it wasn't coupled with medicine. But I could be wrong.

Pick a select few schools, Apply. and when the secondaries come in, decide then if you still want to go.

It'll buy you another few months. As well, you won't be starting for a year, and I dont know if you are a senior now that is graduated. But if so, that gives you almost a year to explore. (I had only 7 months and that was enough).

Best of luck

I don't like this strategy, as it creates an unnecessary blemish on your future application if, for example, you decide med school is right for you some 3 or 4 years from now, but not now. Be sure first, and THEN apply. You create hurdles for yourself by applying, bailing and then coming back as a reapplicant with lots to explain. Having never applied yet doesn't create these issues.