Cold Feet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxfantastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm sure I can't be the only person who's ever felt this way, and I've read a bunch of similar posts, but none seem to accurately depict my situation. So here's the deal: college senior, science/humanities double major, and I've wanted nothing but to go to medical school since I was in high school. I've got the GPA and the MCAT score to make it happen (3.88/33R), but now that I've submitted my secondaries and am waiting to see if I get interviewed, I'm really not so sure I want to do this. In considering my interests as far as medicine, I'm starting to think I might be better suited to get an MPH or something similar and go the research route. I still want a career in medicine, but I'm not so sure I want to be an MD. To make matters worse, I recently returned from study abroad in France, and I loved it there. I've done some poking around and found that I could get my MPH there, which is way tempting (not to mention way cheaper, and I'm fluent in French so the language barrier is a non-issue). Now I'm trying to sort out whether I'm applying to med school because it's really what I want, or if I am just because it's what's expected of me after all this time. Anyone have any advice/words of wisdom? I'd love to hear 'em!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your motivations. Additionally, what are your hesitations?

After a lot of thought I came to the realization that there isn't really a single unique aspect to being a doctor, but instead a combination of attractive features that is appealing.

To this end, if after some introspection you find that there are only a couple facets of the profession that interest you then a change of plans might be in order.

For example, if you are only interested in research then perhaps a clinical research career is more attractive. Or if you are in it for the patient interaction then perhaps one of the allied health professions (nurse, PA, etc) would be more attractive.

In a nutshell, my advice to you is only pursue the MD if the profession in its entirety is appealing, if that makes any sense.

aSagacious, your reply makes perfect sense, no worries! :) And I agree. I guess the kind of medicine I'm interested in is more public health/infectious disease with an emphasis on global health and non-Western cultures, if that makes any sense. I think the MD would be valuable because I'd have a broad base of knowledge and know how to care for individual patients, while the MPH provides a different perspective on top of that.

But I guess the thing that really bugs me is that I want to live and work in Europe eventually (I'm American), since I've been there several times, I've got family and friends there, and happen to like it a lot better than the States. I suppose I could make the move after I finish my MD (assuming I get in, that is), but I'm afraid that by that point I'll be so loaded with debt that it won't be possible. :( And do people ever go for a Master's after finishing an MD? I'm sure it's possible, but all I've ever heard about is residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cold feet derive from hopping on a plane to interview somewhere that I have little chance of being accepted. :p

Well, at the end of the day I can't make the judgement call for you, but I can answer your other questions.

- Yes, an American MD would be employable in Europe. I'm not certain of the tuition for European med schools but I hear that they are comparably expensive so whether or not you attend an American institution might be moot in that regard. I will say though, that if there is even the slightest chance that you might want to eventually practice in the US then you should definitely attend an American school so as to avoid closing that door.

- There are many schools that offer combined 5 year MD/MPH programs and they are hardly uncommon (some people might even be able to finish it in 4).

Do what makes you happy.

I will second this. If you go into this feeling quite ambivalent as to whether you actually want the MD, then this could make med school less enjoyable than you'd like. It's up to you, but some introspection is in order. I usually say go with your gut, because your gut is trustworthy.

It would be possible to go to medical school in Europe (France in my case), but it would involve starting over with 18-year-olds and having an 80% chance of getting weeded out between the first and second years. Non, merci, I've already survived that once! :cool: But the MPH programs I'm looking at would cost between €500 and €6000 a year in tuition, which is less than a third of what I currently pay at my undergrad institution. Either way I'll be in debt, it's just a matter of whether I owe American banks or French banks....

I'm feeling at this point, since I've already sent the secondaries, I'll see what the year brings as far as interviews and the like.

like someone above me said, nearly all of the schools i have been to so far have offered a combined MD/MPH program. At some of the schools this is a very popular option which many students participate in. Also at many of the schools i've been at it is still a four year program! So many look at the schools you are applying to and see if they offer this option

NYMC has a 4yr MD/MPH program I am considering.

.....but I may stick to basic science research.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of clinical EC's do you have?

Did you enjoy them?

What kind of clinical EC's do you have?

Did you enjoy them?

I've been volunteering weekly in a local ER for the past 3 years. I honestly love it, but I've always had a thing for infectious disease/epidemiology, hence my interest in an MPH. (Remember the H1N1 flu pandemic? When everyone else was freaking out, I was fascinated.) :)

I've been volunteering weekly in a local ER for the past 3 years. I honestly love it, but I've always had a thing for infectious disease/epidemiology, hence my interest in an MPH. (Remember the H1N1 flu pandemic? When everyone else was freaking out, I was fascinated.) :)

Have you seen the movie Contagion? You'll like it. :thumbup:

Would be a huge red flag for me. Tread carefully, and take some "me" time to figure out what it is you truly want.

You're interested in epidemiology/infectious disease. The MD will be extremely valuable. Get an MPH with it if you want it. You don't have to work in the private sector. You can find jobs that use both degrees. Will you work for the CDC? Not necessarily.

You will have a lot more opportunities with an MD/MPH. You should go MD/MPH. An American MD will allow you to practice virtually anywhere, and as an MD you can get sick jobs at the CDC and WHO that would not be open to just MPH peeps or PhDs for that matter.

But, again, ultimately it's your life. Do what feels right and makes you happy.

Edit: For example, at the WHO you can get sick jobs with a MD/MPH like this: http://www.searo.who.int/linkfiles/MO_TB_SEARO.pdf

You're interested in epidemiology/infectious disease. The MD will be extremely valuable. Get an MPH with it if you want it. You don't have to work in the private sector. You can find jobs that use both degrees. Will you work for the CDC? Not necessarily.

An MPH is definitely going to happen at some point, and a gig with the CDC (or L'Institut Pasteur, or the WHO, or the Red Cross) would be icing on the cake.

Why not go to France get your MPH, have your fun, and then decide?