Cold MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure, you dont have to give them anything. That is when they "shop" for someone who will. No, I don't want to read any tips on SDN, I think I'd rather learn from an actual, living, breathing physician standing in front of me.

It's a shame that the first 2 years of med school will be spent learning by reading. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...........this is what is wrong with many primary care physicians today. Are you trying to say that you will presribe an anti-bacterial medication for a viral infection? Have you ever heard of antibiotic resistance? I have spent a great deal of time with a "living, breathing, physician", and he feels very strongly that if this sort of attitude continues, we may not have any effective antibiotics left in 20 years. I think we need to educate people on the importance of only using medications when they are absolutey necessary. If they make the decision to find another physician, at least we can rest our heads on our pillows at night knowing we did something to address this very serious issue.

Lord, do you not read the other posts that go along with this one? I wasn't promoting anything, I was merely saying what a lot of people do in that situation. I remember shadowing a physician and he telling a patient that they had a viral infection, most likely flu like, and her arguing with him for antibiotics. Now, he never gave them to her, but he said he would bet me $50 that she would eventually get them from some other doctor. Is it right? Hell no. But, you will learn that people usually don't want to hear what is right or what is wrong. They have a set agenda when they walk into your office and if you don't meet it, they walk into someone else's. This is why the term "shopping for a doctor" exists. Its not like I made it up. Would I give them an antibiotic knowing full well that they have a viral infection, **** no. My mother was one of those stock-pilers (gets the medication from the doctor when they aren't sick and stores them for when they are and doesn't take the full amount). Most of our grandmothers are like that; don't believe me, look in the medicine cabinet at some point. Anyways, because of this, I know how hard it is to simply "educate" your patient about the importance of this. They have one thing on their minds: I am sick, give me a pill to make it go away. If you think that you will reach all of your patients and that none of them will question your judgment or seek alternative care, you truly are a God of medicine and I bow to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a shame that the first 2 years of med school will be spent learning by reading. Good luck.

Yes, from books writen by people who know what they are talking about. Would you rather learn from that or something that was put together by people on SDN. That is what I meant. I think people get enough bad information off of here already. The last thing we need is to start giving them advice about how to perscribe.

Yes, from books writen by people who know what they are talking about.
You know, as opposed to the several attending physicians (Quinn, etc), program directors (BKN, etc), and senior residents (SouthernDoc, etc) who frequent the EM forum......

We're not talking about the stupid rumor and conjecture that gets passed around the pre-allo/pre-osteo forums.....

You know, as opposed to the several attending physicians (Quinn, etc), program directors (BKN, etc), and senior residents (SouthernDoc, etc) who frequent the EM forum......

We're not talking about the stupid rumor and conjecture that gets passed around the pre-allo/pre-osteo forums.....

Awsome, and I am sure you get your dating advice from one of those online websites as well? So the three people you mentioned there, what about the others? Do we just take whatever advice we recieve from them as well? Hey, the same can be true on any part of SDN. There are some really top-notch people who will give true advice: huntergather, most of the people on the DMU forum. But, there are also dinguses who will give bad advice just to see people fail and, sadly, they make up the majority of the people on here. Take a look at one of those "chances" threads some time for the proof. They may have 80 responses to them of people telling the OP they have no chance and to do what your avatar is doing. Are these people adcoms? I doubt it. So, if you want to learn that way, more power to you.

You can definitely receive fantastic advice from individuals such as the few you mentioned above, but do you realize how few people on SDN are aware of the difference between advice from someone who is knowledgable versus someone who is not??

Jamers is right. The overwhelming amount of information on SDN comes from individuals who often times no less than the person asking the questions. I will say that SDN is a FANTASTIC starting point and a place that you can occasionally receive good information (such as the info you get from the above mentioned people). I'm incredibly thankful to SDN, because it provides you with some baseline information and the opportunity to link up with even better information. If it wasn't for SDN, I wouldn't have FREIDA, careerMD, and various other informational websites bookmarked right now.

so have you guys seen the commericals for a new airborne-like product called Cold MD? it's something to take when you first get a cold, so you don't need to take medications, its immune inhancing, you could say.

well my mom thought it was funny they were calling it Cold MD, that it sounded more like a Cold DO product! so i see a paper ad for it in US Weekly, and what do you know, in the "MD's behind Cold MD", one of them IS a DO!!!! it should say the PHYSICIANS behind the product! UGH. bad enough they are calling it Cold MD, when a DO is behind it...

anyway, i'm going to contact them. anyone else who wants to:
1 866 632 COLD
www.coldmdhealth.com

I'm going to paste this directly off the page you provided.

Cold MD™ is patent-pending. † Formulated by Dr. Marvin Heuer, MD, FAAFP, Chief Scientific Officer, Iomedix.

Theres your answer.

I got a cold right now, and I started takin cold MD this this morning, i'll ginnie pig it, see what it does since nyquil is pointless w/o psuedophedorine, those bastards

If you still want something that has real pseudoephedrine in it, but Claritin D. It's about the only thing that still has it.

airborne truly works. i take it as i start feeling a sore throat or sinus pressure ... twice/day for 2 days, low and behold, its all gone.

ive only had to use it on 2 diff. occassions ...

maybe this coldmd stuff works too, but, no need for me to try it since ive got the airborne ;)

not this thread again...

picard.jpg

Why does everyone freak out when the word homeopathic is mentioned? What about Zicam, a similarly zinc-based cold treatment? Zicam is marketed as a homeopathic cold treatment and (get this) actually has at least one peer-reviewed clinical trial proving its effectiveness. Instead of simply dismissing all homeopathic or “alternative” therapies, why not evaluate each one on its scientifically proven merits? I agree, ColdMD sounds like a load of crap, but that doesn’t mean all similar treatments are as well. I’d rather have my future patients take Zicam for a cold (or some similar non-harmful OTC product) than contribute to antibiotic resistance.

BTW, my favorite thing about ColdMD: Nano-Diffuse technology! I don’t know what it is, but good lord I sure want some.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 2 Caplets
Servings Per Container 20
Zinc (as zinc acetate featuring
Nano-Diffuse™ technology
) 15 mg 100%
senticosus) (Siberian ginseng) (root)
Ginseng extract (as Panax ginseng) (root)
Han Fang Ji extract (root)
Epimedium extract (as Epimedium brevicornum) (aerial parts)
Echinacea extract (as Echinacea purpurea) (root)
Dong quai extract (as Angelica sinensis) (root)
Ginger extract (as Zingiber officinale) (root)
Citrus bioflavanoids
N-acetyl cysteine

Daily value not established

so have you guys seen the commericals for a new airborne-like product called Cold MD? it's something to take when you first get a cold, so you don't need to take medications, its immune inhancing, you could say.

well my mom thought it was funny they were calling it Cold MD, that it sounded more like a Cold DO product! so i see a paper ad for it in US Weekly, and what do you know, in the "MD's behind Cold MD", one of them IS a DO!!!! it should say the PHYSICIANS behind the product! UGH. bad enough they are calling it Cold MD, when a DO is behind it...

anyway, i'm going to contact them. anyone else who wants to:
1 866 632 COLD
www.coldmdhealth.com

Maybe if they called it "Cold DO", people who don't know who a DO is might think it's a deoderant that cools on contact.... :laugh:

Okay, I see that a lot of time has passed since the last post, so the following may not be necessary; nevertheless, my reading your posts has created a lot of tension inside my mind, so here it comes.

IT DOESN'T MATTER IT DOESN'T MATTER IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Ah, I feel much better now that Lewis Black has been exorcised from me.

The facts are that none of us gave a second thought to this supplement when it went by the names of "Zicam" "Cold-eez" and many others. It's about as good as a helmet for a skydiver--if it makes you feel better, use it.

As far as calling it "Cold MD," it would take a heck of a salesman to convince me to call it anything else (if I were the marketing rep in charge of it). First, they actually did find an MD to back it up. Second, like some of you have said in earlier posts, most people aren't going to identify "DO" with "years of medical training" the way intellgent and enlightened people do.

Even so, DO's, don't get 'em in a wad over this one. You've not missed out on anything by not having your profession's initials on a product whose clinical testing tops out at N < 100.

Personally, I take it, because the tablets are sweet and I like to think I'm doing something to prevent a cold. I know, it's all in my head, and I'm fine with that. As long as that's where it stays, there will be no freaking out to be done.

Why does everyone freak out when the word homeopathic is mentioned? What about Zicam, a similarly zinc-based cold treatment? Zicam is marketed as a homeopathic cold treatment and (get this) actually has at least one peer-reviewed clinical trial proving its effectiveness.

Zicam just settled on a lawsuit for 12 million dollars because their product destroyed the taste and smell senses of users...

Guess that did not show up in their clinical findings :oops: