Cold Remedies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good remedies that you have seen during your practice?

I've been hit by this nasty cold right before I have a bunch of exams, every time I sit down my nasal passages tighten up, if I stand up they open up.

Eyes are watery as hell.

I've been having some pretty damn powerful sneezes also, almost got into a car accident yesterday because of one, I sneezed and then because of that I jerked the steering wheel on an already icy highway but was able to recover from the sliding.

Would taking Benadryl for the watery eyes and nasal drip and Sudafed for the nasal congestion be sufficient? I don't wanna take any anti-virals for fear of resistance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi sparda,

Sorry about your cold.
Bed rest, adequate fluids, and adequate nutrition will do you more good than any medications.
This thread may be closed though if medical advice is given, oops

What are some good remedies that you have seen during your practice?

I've been hit by this nasty cold right before I have a bunch of exams, every time I sit down my nasal passages tighten up, if I stand up they open up.

Eyes are watery as hell.

I've been having some pretty damn powerful sneezes also, almost got into a car accident yesterday because of one, I sneezed and then because of that I jerked the steering wheel on an already icy highway but was able to recover from the sliding.

Would taking Benadryl for the watery eyes and nasal drip and Sudafed for the nasal congestion be sufficient? I don't wanna take any anti-virals for fear of resistance.
Anti-virals? Really you consider them?

you need a box of puffs, sudafed, or even Loratidine D to step up your game and a little bit of time and patience

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to try some Zyrtec-D, it's working alright but my eyes are still watery.

I'd consider adding zaditor (ketotifen) drops if it were me. They're the only ones that have an antihistamine without a decongestant.

According to Chest (a medical journal),

" . . . patients were treated with a first-generation antihistamine-decongestant (chlorpheniramine, 4 mg, and pseudoephedrine, 30 mg three times per day) for 3 weeks. Sixty-eight of 97 patients (70%) showed significant improvement with the antihistamine-decongestant therapy."

American College of Physicians Guidelines says,

"For cough associated with the common cold, the authors recommend first-generation antihistamine-decongestants instead of newer, nonsedating antihistamines. The authors do not recommend medications that alter the characteristics of mucus, peripheral cough suppressants, central cough suppressants, or zinc to improve cough."

Status
Not open for further replies.