Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
leverp2000 said:
In the little blue pamphlet about University housing, the back pocket contains a sheet with a listing of prices and the layout of the rooms at Bard for this past year 04-05. The cheap "28" room was $9.75.

Have you guys submitted the request for housing application? Why does it needs to be sent by certified mail?

hey leverp,

I got that little pamphlet, but it seems like it didn't list all the rooms that are available (judging by the list on the web). I was just wondering if there was a more complete list.

I agree with remix on the priority mail thing, they just want to feel special, but they also like making you spend more money than necessary. I submitted the request already, but I think it doesn't matter how quickly you do it because they send everyone the application at the same time.

See you guys at the revisit!

Members don't see this ad.

dcham said:
I'm thinking about going to the revisit weekend. I'm confused do you only have a host for that thursday? I was thinking about flying in on wednessday night or staying through saturday morning.

Oh, I haven't tried figuring out a host yet. The Friday thing is based solely on my lack of vacation days post-med school application process. Are most people going to both days? Or just one?

The Remix said:
I thought it was that thursday and friday. But my folks just got something in the mail today about a parents day that saturday. But I did get an email with a tentative schedule. We're going to a Broadway show and to Dr. Hutcherson's house (it could be on MTV cribs I heard)!

Oh, and if your on the east coast you might be able to get an independence air ticket for cheap. They're giving college student discounts now. I got a round trip to JFK for $110

I got that too, but I think those activities are seperate from the regular days activities that are just for minority acceptances.

I may be wrong.

The hosting this has me confused too.....cuz it has a Host SignUp form in the Minority Packet, but I had alreayd requested one through the normal response that came wit hthe acceptance packet.

Im so lost with all this...I just got the Financial Aid stuff done and now Im moving onto the Housing Forms....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ted,

The way I was looking at it was by matching up the prices in http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/hshousing/bhrate.html, with those on the sheet. There are still 6 pricing categories, so you can basically just convert the prices from the 2000 price to the 2004-2005 price.

tedrik said:
hey leverp,

I got that little pamphlet, but it seems like it didn't list all the rooms that are available (judging by the list on the web). I was just wondering if there was a more complete list.

I agree with remix on the priority mail thing, they just want to feel special, but they also like making you spend more money than necessary. I submitted the request already, but I think it doesn't matter how quickly you do it because they send everyone the application at the same time.

See you guys at the revisit!

Has anyone here heard back from the school confirming the receipt of the accepting of the spot in the class and acknowledgement of our RSVP for revisit?

I emailed the email address provided to ask if they had gotten it a few days ago...no reply.

MiaFLSurf said:
Has anyone here heard back from the school confirming the receipt of the accepting of the spot in the class and acknowledgement of our RSVP for revisit?

I emailed the email address provided to ask if they had gotten it a few days ago...no reply.

right now columbia is on spring break and all the adminstration offices close for a couple of days whenever we have days off, i would try giving the office a call to see if there are any announcements as to when they are coming back.

leverp2000 said:
Hey ted,

The way I was looking at it was by matching up the prices in http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/hshousing/bhrate.html, with those on the sheet. There are still 6 pricing categories, so you can basically just convert the prices from the 2000 price to the 2004-2005 price.

I didn't realize that there were only 6 different pricing categories, I was just looking at how many different types of rooms there were. Thanks for clearing that up!

Aladdin Sane said:
right now columbia is on spring break and all the adminstration offices close for a couple of days whenever we have days off, i would try giving the office a call to see if there are any announcements as to when they are coming back.

I was starting to get kind of antsy because I haven't heard back yet. I already withdrew from everywhere else, so I really want something back from them in writing!!!

tedrik said:
I didn't realize that there were only 6 different pricing categories, I was just looking at how many different types of rooms there were. Thanks for clearing that up!

I was starting to get kind of antsy because I haven't heard back yet. I already withdrew from everywhere else, so I really want something back from them in writing!!!

yeah columbia has a tendency to do that, like revoke your financial aid without telling you, GRR. you really have to stay on top of them because the adminstration offices are seriously disorganized :)

WAIT, you all got housing forms to complete???

I didn't get any!

Lemmiwinks said:
WAIT, you all got housing forms to complete???

I didn't get any!

Its just that pamphlet about housing that you send back the stickers filled out. I think....

I'm a little confused too. I *think* the only paper I received about housing came with the acceptance packet, and that paper might have been called the "request for housing application." Did I miss something?

don't worry, there hasn't been any housing application yet. it was just the request for the housing application. It came inside the big envelope along with the acceptance letter.

sorry if i caused any confusion!!

It's not spring break - that's the undergrad. Different yrs have different breaks at the med school. I don't think the offices are closed. Find at office here is actually pretty nice. During revisit, you can ask to see your package if you handed in your stuff early - a few of us were able to see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm ok I just tore through everything I received from Columbia. I didn't get some of the stuff you did in your acceptance packets. I didn't get an envelope for the Revisit Weekend form, and I didn't get any housing request forms or information about housing whatsoever.

Can someone just give me the address on the envelope for the Revisit Weekend form? Thanks.

does anyone know when the orientation dates are? i can't seem to find it on the website.

wei_i said:
does anyone know when the orientation dates are? i can't seem to find it on the website.

Starts Monday August 22nd. Classes start Mon, Aug 29th.

Move in day is also Aug 22nd, but you are allowed to move in a few days early if you like. Just ask Housing.

Bonnie

missbonnie said:
Starts Monday August 22nd. Classes start Mon, Aug 29th.

Move in day is also Aug 22nd, but you are allowed to move in a few days early if you like. Just ask Housing.

Bonnie
Hey, P&Sers is the financial aid buget used by the office pretty comparable to reality in Manhattan?

The Remix said:
Hey, P&Sers is the financial aid buget used by the office pretty comparable to reality in Manhattan?

That's hard to answer. It depends on how much you want to spend. You can get by on a bag of rice every week, or you could go out to dinner a few nights a week. It's your call... ;)

Generally, I think Washington Heights is a little cheaper than the rest of NYC.

I have to say that in terms of going out, it has been pretty cheap. Granted, I'm not going to Bungalow 8 every night, but... It's not to hard to find dive bars, and usually there's one mixer or another going on through P&S, or NYC Medical schools, or Columbia Grad Schools, etc that will get you cheap deals. Last week the third years had a Switch weekend party at a club downtown where it was free to get in, and a deal on drinks, for all Columbia med students. We usually get deals with places for the class the weekends after exam blocks, as well. And there's a bar on the upper west side that does half price drinks for Columbia students w/ IDs on Thurs nights. Awesome!

:wow: How did you know my REAL question within the question was about cheap alcohol?

Got a letter in the mail yesterday letting me know that they received my acceptance response. Thought I'd let you guys know.

I was in Manhattan this weekend visiting some friends and I thought I'd take a subway ride waaaaaay uptown and visit the school I might be going to. Well, I gotta say it was DEAD. There was no one around outside. It was like a ghost town. I got really nervous and started second-guessing whether or not I wanted to go to columbia. And then I went on the P&S website today and checked the curriculum calendar and I saw that the med students have like 16 exams this week. So that made me feel a lot better. They must have all been hiding in the library. :laugh:

Good luck on exams sarah, bonnie, and any other current student who reads this.

Lemmiwinks said:
I was in Manhattan this weekend visiting some friends and I thought I'd take a subway ride waaaaaay uptown and visit the school I might be going to. Well, I gotta say it was DEAD. There was no one around outside. It was like a ghost town. I got really nervous and started second-guessing whether or not I wanted to go to columbia. And then I went on the P&S website today and checked the curriculum calendar and I saw that the med students have like 16 exams this week. So that made me feel a lot better. They must have all been hiding in the library. :laugh:

Good luck on exams sarah, bonnie, and any other current student who reads this.

16 exams??? Jeez ... The end of those block schedules must be a little rough.

leverp2000 said:
16 exams??? Jeez ... The end of those block schedules must be a little rough.

I may have exaggerated. Slightly.

Lemmiwinks said:
I may have exaggerated. Slightly.

Seven this week.

Anatomy written and practical exams on head/neck/upper extremity tomorrow am... but then anatomy is over with for good!

Thanks for the well wishes.

And PS-- this is definitely the worst it's been in terms of exams for us... ever. We don't always hide out in the library! I promise.

When are you guys flying in/out for the revisit weekend? Are you staying for both days and/or Saturday? Is it worth coming to both days?

dcham said:
When are you guys flying in/out for the revisit weekend? Are you staying for both days and/or Saturday? Is it worth coming to both days?

I'm pretty sure i'll be there for all three days.

pynkpep said:
I'm pretty sure i'll be there for all three days.

Sounds good. Are you staying with a student all three days?

dcham said:
I'm flying in thursday morning around 10:30 and leaving friday around 7pm. Does anyone know how long it takes to ride the sub from JFK to w168th and Broadway?

dcham said:
Sounds good. Are you staying with a student all three days?

I live in Jersey (approximately 4 miles from Columbia), so I think I'm just going to commute for the three days. Sorry if this provides no information on the overnight hosting situation.

JFk to P&S will take a looooong time. But if $$ is an issue, take the airtrain, then A train - approx 1.5-2hrs! no joke... otherwise a cab is kinda expensive like $50 or more.

It's gonna be hard to find someone that is willing to host you for 3 nights....maybe 2. Esp in bard where the rooms are small and you'd be right in the middle of everything. Not to deter you guys..but you guys probably know ppl in the city anyway.

Bonnie

I've been looking at the Bard Hall floorplan and I have some questions.

I don't really get the unisex bathroom.

Is it:
A) Single toilet/shower units that only one person can be in at a given time
B) Completely unisex. Anyone and everyone at any time.

Option B could be a lot more fun. ;)

My friend, who was at Columbia this summer, told me that they were completely unisex: stalls, showers, sinks are all for everyone's use.

It does seem intriguing...

Lemmiwinks said:
I've been looking at the Bard Hall floorplan and I have some questions.

I don't really get the unisex bathroom.

Is it:
A) Single toilet/shower units that only one person can be in at a given time
B) Completely unisex. Anyone and everyone at any time.

Option B could be a lot more fun. ;)

This thread keeps drifting away. Are that few people really planning on going to Columbia? If so, waitlist movement should start flying soon!

:confused:

Lemmiwinks said:
This thread keeps drifting away. Are that few people really planning on going to Columbia? If so, waitlist movement should start flying soon!

:confused:
Any discussion of Columbia in the Pre-Allo room will inevitably move into unisex bathrooms before it progresses to anything valuable.

The Remix said:
Any discussion of Columbia in the Pre-Allo room will inevitably move into unisex bathrooms before it progresses to anything valuable.

HAHAHA...agreed :laugh:

I was wondering where you guys are all coming from. Are most of you already from the north-east? I am coming from California and I'm hoping that I'm not the only non-Ivy Leaguer.

Don't worry Tedrik, I'm also a non-ivy leaguer who will be flying in from California. I'm sure we'll be out-numbered, though.

Karl Hungus said:
Don't worry Tedrik, I'm also a non-ivy leaguer who will be flying in from California. I'm sure we'll be out-numbered, though.
I'm non-ivy too!!!! Small endowments UNITE!!!!!

I'm non-ivy... Washu undergrad hell yeah!

tedrik said:
HAHAHA...agreed :laugh:

I was wondering where you guys are all coming from. Are most of you already from the north-east? I am coming from California and I'm hoping that I'm not the only non-Ivy Leaguer.

I'm from the northeast. And I am a non-ivy leaguer.

dcham said:
Got a letter in the mail yesterday letting me know that they received my acceptance response. Thought I'd let you guys know.

whoa, did anybody else get this?

I havent...

Im also a non-Ivy...U Rochester here, from Miami,FL

dewzen said:
whoa, did anybody else get this?

I got the thing letting me know that received my signature on their offer. Also, two days ago I got a little card from the housing office saying that they have recieved my request for a housing application. It looks like the date you mail that thing in does matter so try and get that sucker in ASAP.

Guys, when are our passport photos due? I lost my little brown envelope thingy.

May 6th.

I still havent received anything saying they received my acceptance...oh well.

MiaFLSurf said:
May 6th.

I still havent received anything saying they received my acceptance...oh well.

You might want to call and check up on that. I sent mine in late and got the notification last week.

Hey everyone,

Congrats on the acceptances and on choosing the gem of med schools in NYC :)

I'm a third year right now....Is the revisit weekend already this thurs/fri??? Didn't realize it was going to be so soon. I'm in the towers so if you want to see the better housing (life after Bard), then feel free to contact me and you can check out my place....
Part of the reason NYC was dead this weekend is b/c it was raining like a mofo all saturday...The 1st years are on spring break..and the second years were probably relaxing from partying the past week.
Third years it's hit or miss depending on the rotation...

If I wasn't on call all weekend (blows!), I'd have a preparty at my place and then head downtown with anyone who wanted to...but this weekend is bad for me.

Still, feel free to contact me with any questions or if you wanna hang out for a bit.

Congrats!

~Scooby

scoob, its the weekend after that

well if anyone is around on friday night ....then hit me up!