Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wanted to bump this thread back up.

We (class of 2008) are looking forward to meeting you all. For some reason I wasn't assigned a newbie to host, so if anyone needs a place, let me know.

-Bonnie

Members don't see this ad.

A while ago, someone mentioned that P&S offers summer research positions for incoming students? Has anyone heard anything yet? Are these limited to bench research?

THANKS

ednamode said:
A while ago, someone mentioned that P&S offers summer research positions for incoming students? Has anyone heard anything yet? Are these limited to bench research?

THANKS

It's thru the Psych department, call admissions for the contact info. I think you can choose either basic science or clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
missbonnie said:
It's thru the Psych department, call admissions for the contact info. I think you can choose either basic science or clinical.
are you in the 04-05 handbook by the same name?

Yes,

It's under Doo...

Scooby....

I can't make it to Revisit (work sucks!) but I hope everyone posts when they get back. I really want to hear all about it! :(

Lemmiwinks said:
I can't make it to Revisit (work sucks!) but I hope everyone posts when they get back. I really want to hear all about it! :(
will do

djali said:
I'm guardedly excited? I'm psyched about the school, though worried the classes are going to kick my ass.

Listen Djali,
two words... you're accepted. (Congratulations!!) The adcom here at P&S picked you for a reason and I am sure you will do great. It is the overconfident people who don't feel like they need to study or work to do well that struggle at first.

Hope you all are really stoked to check out P&S; it is an awesome school and every year I am here I realize what a great choice it was! PM me if you have any questions or concerns about the school. If someone is coming last minute and needs a place to crash I live in the towers, so let me know.

late,
ra

The Remix said:
are you in the 04-05 handbook by the same name?

that would be funny if she was listed as just "Miss Bonnie" in the book.

Like Miss Cleo. Only Bonnie will probably contribute to society in some way.

Lemmiwinks said:
that would be funny if she was listed as just "Miss Bonnie" in the book.

Like Miss Cleo. Only Bonnie will probably contribute to society in some way.
Aw come on, you know Miss Cleo contributed much to society. She showed us how dumb you look when you fake a Jamaican accent!
:laugh: Don' trip now y'know? Why you wan' go and tramp Miss Cleo fir? G'wan now. :laugh:

I've finally decided on Columbia. Now I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to get a room with a river view, or to pay less for a non-view room.

Murphy525 said:
I've finally decided on Columbia. Now I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to get a room with a river view, or to pay less for a non-view room.

SPEND the extra money on river view...INSIST on it! Go find exact rooms that you like and list them...specify you want "river, sink, corner room, etc etc etc etc" Every single thing on that form.

Don't do street....lots of noise and problems....
also stay away from rooms close to the showers cuz they tend to make more noise cuz of the beeping...

River is worth every penny....

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they decide housing? Is it first-come first-served or do they have some kind of lottery system based on your preferences.

Scooby Doo said:
SPEND the extra money on river view...INSIST on it! Go find exact rooms that you like and list them...specify you want "river, sink, corner room, etc etc etc etc" Every single thing on that form.

Don't do street....lots of noise and problems....
also stay away from rooms close to the showers cuz they tend to make more noise cuz of the beeping...

River is worth every penny....

leverp2000 said:
How do they decide housing? Is it first-come first-served or do they have some kind of lottery system based on your preferences.

hey lev,

One of the students told me that she returned her housing form the day after she got it from P&S and got the exact room she wanted. She suggested that you do that because you are pretty much guaranteed to get the room of your choice. I think they send out the housing applications all at once, so you guys should just fill it out and return it right away. The other thing she said was that if you are planning to move in earlier in the summer (for research), they don't have all the rooms ready so your choices are more limited.

It would probably help us out if some of the current students would just tell us which rooms we should go for. If we can request specific rooms by their number, would you guys be willing to give us some suggestions??

thanks in advance!

Hi everyone. I wanted your input on a decision that I'm having a little trouble making. I thought you guys would be the best people to ask since you're all going to Columbia and I assume you really love the school. I really love Columbia also, but I have been offered a 30k/yr for 4 years scholarship to AECOM. I like AECOM as well, but I also absolutely love Columbia. I'm having trouble figuring out whether the school and experiences that I could get at Columbia are so much better as to offset the substantial $ I'm getting at AECOM. Most people I've talked to feel that I should go to AECOM. So, I wanted to ask you, my fellow Columbia-lovers, LOL, that if you were in my spot, would you give up Columbia? Thank you in advance!!

Did anyone go to revisit? How was it? details details

tedrik said:
hey lev,

One of the students told me that she returned her housing form the day after she got it from P&S and got the exact room she wanted. She suggested that you do that because you are pretty much guaranteed to get the room of your choice. I think they send out the housing applications all at once, so you guys should just fill it out and return it right away. The other thing she said was that if you are planning to move in earlier in the summer (for research), they don't have all the rooms ready so your choices are more limited.

It would probably help us out if some of the current students would just tell us which rooms we should go for. If we can request specific rooms by their number, would you guys be willing to give us some suggestions??

thanks in advance!

Go for the "30" room. I had 830. Biggest room on the floor. Two large windows facing the river. Only weird thing was that it was long and bowling lane shaped.

The 31 room is nice too, especially higher up. Really large, and face the river and can see downtown.

Drawback is that neither of the rooms have a sink. But one could make the argument that sinks make rooms prison cell-esque.

SarahGM said:
Go for the "30" room. I had 830. Biggest room on the floor. Two large windows facing the river. Only weird thing was that it was long and bowling lane shaped.

The 31 room is nice too, especially higher up. Really large, and face the river and can see downtown.

Drawback is that neither of the rooms have a sink. But one could make the argument that sinks make rooms prison cell-esque.
Sarah, did the room rates go up? I asked a friend in ur class how much he pays for his room and it was a couple dollars/day more expenmsive than the website indicated.

The Remix said:
Sarah, did the room rates go up? I asked a friend in ur class how much he pays for his room and it was a couple dollars/day more expenmsive than the website indicated.

I think they do go up a few dollars every year. I'm now in the Towers, and I know that they're at least going up for us. I'm told it happens every year.

I was wondering, are some of the floors in Bard Hall not coed? If so, which ones?

Also, did anyone else go to the revisit program? I thought that a lot of the prospective students were very cool. :cool:

Karl Hungus said:
I was wondering, are some of the floors in Bard Hall not coed? If so, which ones?

Also, did anyone else go to the revisit program? I thought that a lot of the prospective students were very cool. :cool:

It switches every year, I **think**... but this year, floor 9 is all women and floor 7 is all guys. There may be others.

Revisit weekend was awesome. Every minute that I was sober and can remember, I had a great time. The students there were also freaking great.

Great time.

sunsweet said:
Hi everyone. I wanted your input on a decision that I'm having a little trouble making. I thought you guys would be the best people to ask since you're all going to Columbia and I assume you really love the school. I really love Columbia also, but I have been offered a 30k/yr for 4 years scholarship to AECOM. I like AECOM as well, but I also absolutely love Columbia. I'm having trouble figuring out whether the school and experiences that I could get at Columbia are so much better as to offset the substantial $ I'm getting at AECOM. Most people I've talked to feel that I should go to AECOM. So, I wanted to ask you, my fellow Columbia-lovers, LOL, that if you were in my spot, would you give up Columbia? Thank you in advance!!
Anyone?

Please feel free to PM me; I would appreciate any advice that you may have.

Thanks so much!

sunsweet said:
Anyone?

Please feel free to PM me; I would appreciate any advice that you may have.

Thanks so much!
that's a lot of money to turn down...
Think about what you may want to do. If you think you may go into primary care or work in under-served communities, AECOM is probably you're best bet in order to keep the debt down. If you want to be something like a neurosurgeon don't worry too much and go where you think you'll be set up the best for your career; 120k down the road won't matter much in the scope.
I know nothing about AE so I'm certainly not going to judge them versus P&S. It's wrong to "judge" schools anyway in my opinion
*You're avatar is cool

The Remix said:
that's a lot of money to turn down...
Think about what you may want to do. If you think you may go into primary care or work in under-served communities, AECOM is probably you're best bet in order to keep the debt down. If you want to be something like a neurosurgeon don't worry too much and go where you think you'll be set up the best for your career; 120k down the road won't matter much in the scope.
I know nothing about AE so I'm certainly not going to judge them versus P&S. It's wrong to "judge" schools anyway in my opinion
*You're avatar is cool

i'm obviously biased, but P&S! I have a friend at AECOM who really wanted to come to P&S but was waitlisted. It's really out there location wise, I know we're far uptown but it's different. NO subways in walking distance to AECOM, you are relatively isolated too. I'm probably going to get flamed for this :).

missbonnie said:
i'm obviously biased, but P&S! I have a friend at AECOM who really wanted to come to P&S but was waitlisted. It's really out there location wise, I know we're far uptown but it's different. NO subways in walking distance to AECOM, you are relatively isolated too. I'm probably going to get flamed for this :).
Thank you Remix and missbonnie!

I would definitely rather live in Manhattan, but I went to the AECOM revisit and the area surrounding AECOM is pleasant and students do go down to Manhattan quite frequently and easily. There is a bus that takes you to the subway in 5-10 min and there is also a Manhattan Express bus that takes you to Manhattan in 40 min. Given the choice, I agree that I'd rather be living in Manhattan, but I want to base my decision on more than that alone, such as the overall medical education/experiences, clinical experiences, research, school rep, how it would affect me in the long run, etc.

Also, I am totally undecided specialty-wise, but I don't think I'll be doing primary care.

sunsweet said:
I want to base my decision on more than that alone, such as the overall medical education/experiences, clinical experiences, research, school rep, how it would affect me in the long run, etc.
In none of those criteria did you mention $$. Where would you go if the scholarship wasn't on the table?

The Remix said:
In none of those criteria did you mention $$. Where would you go if the scholarship wasn't on the table?
No question, without the scholarship, I would definitely go to Columbia. I just don't know if it would be worth it to give up all that $$.

sunsweet said:
No question, without the scholarship, I would definitely go to Columbia. I just don't know if it would be worth it to give up all that $$.
You're going to accumulate millions of dollars in your career as a doc...

So, I need to ask for some guidance from the people on this list. I am trying to decide between Yale and Columbia. I missed the revisit weekend for P&S--Would anyone mind giving me a general idea of what it was like, what they perceived to be the atmosphere of the school? What has everyone heard about the curriculum at P&S?

My biggest worry about Columbia is that I'm not a big NYC-person... I don't know my way around the subway etc. Also, I'm not that big into partying... I guess my preferred social scene is a little more low-key? I like to have fun... just in smaller groups with close friends. Will I fit in with the anonymnity of NYC and/or the trendy bar/club scene?

HELP!!

oceans412 said:
My biggest worry about Columbia is that I'm not a big NYC-person... I don't know my way around the subway etc. Also, I'm not that big into partying... I guess my preferred social scene is a little more low-key? I like to have fun... just in smaller groups with close friends. Will I fit in with the anonymnity of NYC and/or the trendy bar/club scene?

HELP!!

The biggest draw for me to Columbia was the student body cohesiveness that leaves you anything but anonymous. The affordable on-campus housing and the P&S club are both media through which you are able to meet other people with similar interests (OUTSIDE of medicine!) and develop those interests.

As for the trendy bar/club scene... I'd say people are more into hitting up the dive bars! On a med student's budget, you really don't need to worry about that.

I'll admit that I had some concerns about keeping up with NYC fashion, style, etc... but life in Washington Heights is so low key that I haven't really thought about any of that too much since I've been here.

Yale....

SarahGM said:
The biggest draw for me to Columbia was the student body cohesiveness that leaves you anything but anonymous. The affordable on-campus housing and the P&S club are both media through which you are able to meet other people with similar interests (OUTSIDE of medicine!) and develop those interests.

As for the trendy bar/club scene... I'd say people are more into hitting up the dive bars! On a med student's budget, you really don't need to worry about that.

I'll admit that I had some concerns about keeping up with NYC fashion, style, etc... but life in Washington Heights is so low key that I haven't really thought about any of that too much since I've been here.

oceans412 said:
So, I need to ask for some guidance from the people on this list. I am trying to decide between Yale and Columbia. I missed the revisit weekend for P&S--Would anyone mind giving me a general idea of what it was like, what they perceived to be the atmosphere of the school? What has everyone heard about the curriculum at P&S?

HELP!!
How come you think that you have to crash the party/social scene if you're a Columbia student? First years are housed together but that doesn't mean that there is a dominance of "5th year undergrads". Of course many will be into things like that but there will be plenty who don't (like me! :D ). As far as getting around the on the subway system, you can get this nifty credit card sized Manhattan subway map from the bookstore. I have one and it saved my butt during revisit weekend.

The Remix said:
As far as getting around the on the subway system, you can get this nifty credit card sized Manhattan subway map from the bookstore. I have one and it saved my butt during revisit weekend.

And we give it to you free when you matriculate!

SarahGM said:
And we give it to you free when you matriculate!

I don't remember the line number--A or C, I think--but didn't the express line to P&S get pretty scorched a few months back? If so, is it out of commission? For how long? What are the ramifications for P&S students? I thought I heard someone mention that it may take up to two years to make the necessary repairs, and am wondering if damage to the line has caused any frustration at P&S. Thanks.

DrDarwin said:
I don't remember the line number--A or C, I think--but didn't the express line to P&S get pretty scorched a few months back? If so, is it out of commission? For how long? What are the ramifications for P&S students? I thought I heard someone mention that it may take up to two years to make the necessary repairs, and am wondering if damage to the line has caused any frustration at P&S. Thanks.

the A was fixed in like 1-2 weeks. It's fine now.

Yale vs Columbia is tricky. very different schools & locations. NYC location was key for me so that was easy.

Is anyone thinking about taking spanish or french at columbia undergrad during school next year? I know it'd be helpful to speak at least some spanish, and I definitely want to go abroad somewhere cool for my fourth year and think the language capabilities would help a bunch for me getting the full experience. Think it'll be too much work? How's everybody's spanish? Maybe take some not so intensive course or self guided study this summer when I'm sitting oceanside?

hey! first post on SDN.. i'm seriously thinkign about this too.. do you think we'd have time to take classes at columbia undergrad next year? i know there is some sort of an informal medical spanish class going on, but not sure how good it is, or if its or beginners.. i'm planning to do some self-study this summer and investigate whats available at CU...

I just got the call from Dean Frantz that I was accepted off the waitlist! Can't wait to see yall in August!

If you don't mind me asking, did you get a second interview invite with Dr. Frantz? If so, was it an automatic invite from the original waitlist letter or did you specifically ask for it later. Last thing, did you send Letter of Intent or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

margerita said:
I just got the call from Dean Frantz that I was accepted off the waitlist! Can't wait to see yall in August!

Boy am I bad. I just read the Columbia waitlist thread. Congratulations Margerita. Columbia is a really good school!!!!

gh9967 said:
If you don't mind me asking, did you get a second interview invite with Dr. Frantz? If so, was it an automatic invite from the original waitlist letter or did you specifically ask for it later. Last thing, did you send Letter of Intent or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats margerita!!...well i was just wondering if anyone received their financial aid letters yet? If so, when? and if not, when exactly are we supposed to receive it? i was under the impression that they were gong to be sent out this week

Hey guys! I got my call from Dean Frantz this week also and I'm so psyched! It's nice to know there are more than a few Californians making the big move with me...I can't wait to meet everyone at the end of the summer!

Hey all... this is a shot in the dark, and I probably have already asked... but I thought I'd ask again anyway!

I live in Tower III with two other girls. We're all going away for the summer and we're looking for three people to sublet over the summer. All the amenities of luxury housing... for $695/mo (utilities included)! We'd like to give preference to Columbia students (future or current).

Plus, if we like you.... we'll be looking for a third next fall at some point to replace a roomie who's leaving. ;)

Pls. PM me if interested...

I think the passport-sized pictures for our eventual student IDs are due on Friday, so don't forget to send those little bastards in... I've been a walking train-wreck and forgot about them until just now.

Whoa--where did you read about this probation? What does it mean? Do you have a link for it?

Columbia is NOT on probation. The LCME presented P&S with a few issues with which they thought there was room for improvement... and many of the issues don't have anything to do with a present situation, but have more to do with addressing the situation in the future. For instance, when listing this concern, the LCME wasn't saying that Columbia isn't diverse enough. They asked, "What are you doing to MAINTAIN student diversity in the years to come?" They wanted a more concrete plan than the one they were given.

illini said:
"columbia definitely does NOT have the most interesting and diverse student body. they are on probation (LCME accreditation) and one of the reasons for this probation is LACK OF DIVERSITY. i couldn't understand how this could be true until i visited two days ago for the revisit. totally a frat-boy/country club kind of atmosphere (which was also the sense i got during interviews). it *is* completely ivy like everyone talks about."

What is this COLUMBIA ON PROBATION deal? It's certainly caused me to have second thoughts about the whole process. I don't want to have to say that my alma mater wasn't accredited when I received my degree. Any other thoughts?

Even w/o considering the location, P&S was one of the least diverse schools I visited. Still, that can't be enough to deserve probation. There have to be other reasons for the probation as well. Does anyone know them? Undoubtedly this has something to do with Columbia's drop to 10th in USNews - the biggest drop for a top tier school.

Let me know what you guys think.
You're like that annoying little chihuahua down the street from me that never stops barking and tries to hump everyone's leg. But at least he barks because he's "stimulated." You're just barking BS.

The Remix said:
You're like that annoying little chihuahua down the street from me that never stops barking and tries to hump everyone's leg. But at least he barks because he's "stimulated." You're just barking BS.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

very true, very funny.

During the revisit, the director of the md/phd program addressed the accreditation issue. It seems like schools do read the SDN forums because he said, “In case you have heard the rumors circulating on the online forums, Columbia is in no danger of losing it’s accreditation.” His said that there were several issues the LCME brought up, but that this kind of thing happens often to top tier schools. He said that schools like Columbia normally feel too “high and mighty” to pay attention to small details when they know they are training topnotch physicians and that this is why the LCME has to throw around words like probation in order to induce change.

I thought that this whole discussion was buried in the (thankfully) long-gone “Official doo doo” thread. I guess not. Thanks to SarahGM for always stepping in and trying to set people straight :thumbup: