Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm hoping current P&S students can help me out on this... I just got my housing forms, and I heard that you can make a request for a specific room in Bard Hall? There's no place on the form that mentions specific room requests, so should I just jot down a note in the "special considerations" part of the form? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Karl Hungus said:
I'm hoping current P&S students can help me out on this... I just got my housing forms, and I heard that you can make a request for a specific room in Bard Hall? There's no place on the form that mentions specific room requests, so should I just jot down a note in the "special considerations" part of the form? Thanks!

Yes... that's what I did... I requested a "30" room. I got 830, so I was happy about that.

Send it back ASAP!

are the "30" rooms that much bigger than the other riverview rooms with a sink? though i guess you could request one with a sink and still get one without one, so perhaps it might be best to take a shot at the "30" rooms.. what do you think of the "01" series.. looks like a corner riverview, decent sized, with a sink in it... unfortunately, i'm far far away now, so couldnt make it to revisit or before school starts to check in.. and dont have much of a memory of the rooms from interview day tour.. any help would be appreciated

also, 8th is pretty much the highest floor right? how long do you have to wait for the elevator? does it get unbearably cold during the winter from the hudson winds? or is it too hot because you cant open a window and the heating is constantly on? (just asking these questions since i had a dorm room on the 10th floor facing a river, and while the view was amazing, it was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.. brr..)

thanks !

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else a little worried about living in NYC on the $13,236 that the finacial aid office budgeted for living expenses? With that much money is it even possible to do anything ever in the city?

Also did anyone else forget to mail in a pic for your ID? I'm going to send mine today and hopefully they won't be too upset.

Regarding housing recommendations:
Does anyone have any tips for room requests in the Towers couples' housing?

Any advice is appreciated.

Since housing is the Topic of the moment, do some students avoid 'on campus' housing all together by living in the UWS? is it feasible to live in the UWS? By feasible I mean getting to classes and such....not financially. Thanks.

shambohh said:
Since housing is the Topic of the moment, do some students avoid 'on campus' housing all together by living in the UWS? is it feasible to live in the UWS? By feasible I mean getting to classes and such....not financially. Thanks.

Couples housing : did you apply for it? Just call the housing office..the farther u currently live from NYC, the higher priority you get.

UWS: totally doable..much more pleasant, but much more expensive

when do we have to be at school for orientation and stuff. where can i find out all this information?

dewzen said:
when do we have to be at school for orientation and stuff. where can i find out all this information?
There are some threads on the admissions website discussion section that deal with this.
http://t1.berlinprod.com/accounts/columbia/columbiasite8/bbs.htm

On an unrelated topic, I'm still really worried about finding greenspace around CUMC. Does anyone out there know if the park across the river (pallisades interstate park) is decently maintained or safe to run/study in??

Oak said:
There are some threads on the admissions website discussion section that deal with this.
http://t1.berlinprod.com/accounts/columbia/columbiasite8/bbs.htm

On an unrelated topic, I'm still really worried about finding greenspace around CUMC. Does anyone out there know if the park across the river (pallisades interstate park) is decently maintained or safe to run/study in??
I know Riverside Park isn't that far away from Bard. I know of a few med students that run there.

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I received mine and well, suffice it to say, wasn't that great. Just wondering if anyone else could comment (does anyone know what the max. amount for loans or grants is?) It's so damn expensive.

simha1487 said:
are the "30" rooms that much bigger than the other riverview rooms with a sink? though i guess you could request one with a sink and still get one without one, so perhaps it might be best to take a shot at the "30" rooms.. what do you think of the "01" series.. looks like a corner riverview, decent sized, with a sink in it... unfortunately, i'm far far away now, so couldnt make it to revisit or before school starts to check in.. and dont have much of a memory of the rooms from interview day tour.. any help would be appreciated

also, 8th is pretty much the highest floor right? how long do you have to wait for the elevator? does it get unbearably cold during the winter from the hudson winds? or is it too hot because you cant open a window and the heating is constantly on? (just asking these questions since i had a dorm room on the 10th floor facing a river, and while the view was amazing, it was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.. brr..)

thanks !

I didn't think the 01 rooms were that great because you have a view right into the psych annex, and not that great a view of the river. Also, I hear they're cold.

In contrast, I found MY room to be unbearably warm. In fact, most of Bard is... you can't really control your heat, because if you turn it off, the radiators clang incessantly. Booooo.

The highest floor is the 11th, but the highest floor with student rooms is the 10th. The elevator wait isn't too long. Stairs aren't too bad either....

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick question on Bard - Riverview vs. Streetview: is one quieter than the other or are they they same in that respect? Do the south pointing windows get a lot of sun, or are they blocked by the other buildings in the area? I have to admit, it's kind of fun obsessing over this stuff. Heh.

wake up, thread! im in! im in! yayyyy!!! now i am buried under financial aid forms and housing requests...a lil late on the train, but hopefully will still get there. :D

nyc...gonna be quite the change from NC an TX...in a good way. i'm SO excited yet terrified of all you smart people! :laugh: see you in august -- i'll be in bard!

HEY EVERYONE! I just got in today. In my euphoric pre-drinking and partying mood I've decided to extend an open invitation to everyone starting at P&S this fall to PM if you have questions about NYC. I've been out of school for a while and have been liviing here for several years. If you have questions about the Subway, i know that by heart. Questions about: where to get a certain type of food, drink, party (my speciality here!!), music, shoe, book, hammer, movie....Anything, jsut ask me. We are, more or less, going to be together for the next 4 years, and so I'm asking you now (since I'm still very excited about my acceptance) to PM me about any questions about things in the city. trust me I know a lot.
Congrats to all of you.....and I'm looking forward to this!!!

Congrats to you guys who have been getting in, it's nice to see people who are as excited as me :D

see you guys in august!!

shambohh said:
HEY EVERYONE! I just got in today. In my euphoric pre-drinking and partying mood I've decided to extend an open invitation to everyone starting at P&S this fall to PM if you have questions about NYC. I've been out of school for a while and have been liviing here for several years. If you have questions about the Subway, i know that by heart. Questions about: where to get a certain type of food, drink, party (my speciality here!!), music, shoe, book, hammer, movie....Anything, jsut ask me. We are, more or less, going to be together for the next 4 years, and so I'm asking you now (since I'm still very excited about my acceptance) to PM me about any questions about things in the city. trust me I know a lot.
Congrats to all of you.....and I'm looking forward to this!!!

I got in yesterday too! I'm ridiculously happy still, especially considering my impending hangover.... can't wait to see you all in NYC.

Congrats everyone!! Waitlist movement seems pretty good this year. Look out for a letter from me in June, and again in July (I am one of your Orientation Coordinators)

Bonnie

For those of you who have lived in Bard:

This is a minor thing, but I need to get a new cell phone in two weeks and I was wondering if there are any carriers that have good or bad service in Bard, or anywhere around P&S for that matter.

Thanks!

tedrik said:
For those of you who have lived in Bard:

This is a minor thing, but I need to get a new cell phone in two weeks and I was wondering if there are any carriers that have good or bad service in Bard, or anywhere around P&S for that matter.

Thanks!
that's not a minor issue, i was wondering the same thing

Verizon works very well in Manhattan, and at P&S. But they don't have rollover minutes which sucks.

Lemmiwinks said:
Verizon works very well in Manhattan, and at P&S. But they don't have rollover minutes which sucks.

Yeah I'll be losing over 1500 rollover minutes if I switch from Cingular, but I'd rather have a new phone :)

So verizon works, does anyone have complaints about t-mobile? I was probably going to choose between those two anyways.

Cingular GSM works great for me. I switched to Cingular from Sprint just before I moved to NYC last year. The reception is fine everywhere in CUMC and Bard Hall, except for two first floor hospital hallways that I've learned to avoid. I regularly have phone calls run for over 45 minutes without dropping.

That said, VZ Wireless is generally considered to have the best coverage in Manhattan. I chose Cingular because of free calls to/from other Cingular customers (M2M), and it's cheaper than VZ.

My V400 phone is about toast, though, after being dropped once too often. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Razr V3. (anyone have a good experience with one of those?)

pjm said:
VZ Wireless is generally considered to have the best coverage in Manhattan.

WHOOHOO! my verizon phone --> :love:

anyone know how fast that fin aid stuff gets turned around? I just sent mine in yesterday (since I got off the waitlist, but thankfully relatively early), but it'd be nice to know exactly how much i need to work my butt off this summer, haha.

hi everyone,

my girlfriend will be a master's student at columbia this fall and i will be moving with her to find a clinical research position.

Are there a lot of off-campus housing available? How do people find out about them?

Also, is the health sciences campus in a safe area? Are there plenty of restaurants and cafe's around the area?

Lastly, what about parking accesibility if I bring up a car?

Thank you for your help

yancantcook said:
hi everyone,

my girlfriend will be a master's student at columbia this fall and i will be moving with her to find a clinical research position.

Are there a lot of off-campus housing available? How do people find out about them?

Also, is the health sciences campus in a safe area? Are there plenty of restaurants and cafe's around the area?

Lastly, what about parking accesibility if I bring up a car?

Thank you for your help

I had the same car question last year. Don't bring the car. I sold mine. There's no where to park in NYC without driving around incessantly. Where are you going to go that you can't go by subway (much cheaper and much less of a hassle)?

There are some people in my class with cars, but parking runs them several hundred dollars a month.

I'm in between exams (procrastinating..what else) so I thought I'd give you guys some pertinent info since you probably won't get any informative mailings until mid June or so.

Orientation begins Monday, Aug 22nd. Classes start the Mon after on 8/29. You *can* move in earlier (like over the weekend), just call Housing.

White Coat will be the Friday morning of Orientation Week.

Don't buy any books until the used book sale during first week of classes. You can really do without a lot of books. I bought virtually all my books used and it only cost like $250 for the whole yr. (I'll be selling some books :)). What else ...first year ends this Friday - it wasn't so bad. So don't worry if you are (for some reason).

about housing - where's the farthest that you know of classmates living, that still isn't too bad of a commute? anyone live downtown? how about in a different borough?

damn...there is a good amount of diversity here....
Diversity is more than just skin color...I'm amazed everyday to hear some of the things my classmates have done...and that doesn't mean they were raised in a golden crib.

There are lots of kids here who aren't pure ivy-bred....Most the people I'm friends with are mixed - some from privates..some from public...i'm from public and i'm not excluded so oh well...

If you don't like it...no biggie..so somewhere else.

PM me with any questions

We have classmates who live in SoHo and has far as Staten Island...

SarahGM said:
We have classmates who live in SoHo and has far as Staten Island...

CHALK UP ONE MORE STUDENT OFF THE WAITLIST WOOOOOO!!

I'm waiting for my acceptance package still, but I had some concerns about dorming at Bard. I went to NYU undergrad, so i've already been looking for apts to live in manhattan (most of my friends are bankers here now). Do you think dorming off campus first year significantly inhibits your ability to meet and mingle with classmates?

I don't want to sacrifice getting to know my classmates for the convenience of living in my own apt, so could anyone give some advice?

FYI - I'd probably be living a few stops down on the A, so it'd be a 20-30 minute commute - not bad.

ALSO - I was a lacrosse player in undergrad, and VERY psyched about rugby - anyone gonna play rugby or interested in starting up club lacrosse?

JAMESdoe3 said:
CHALK UP ONE MORE STUDENT OFF THE WAITLIST WOOOOOO!!

I'm waiting for my acceptance package still, but I had some concerns about dorming at Bard. I went to NYU undergrad, so i've already been looking for apts to live in manhattan (most of my friends are bankers here now). Do you think dorming off campus first year significantly inhibits your ability to meet and mingle with classmates?

I don't want to sacrifice getting to know my classmates for the convenience of living in my own apt, so could anyone give some advice?

FYI - I'd probably be living a few stops down on the A, so it'd be a 20-30 minute commute - not bad.

ALSO - I was a lacrosse player in undergrad, and VERY psyched about rugby - anyone gonna play rugby or interested in starting up club lacrosse?

i was also wondering a bit about this...my gf and i have been living together for a year now in boston, and can't really imagine going back to dorm living now...we're gonna look for places on the upper west side or even farther up depending on what we can afford...anyone have thoughts on this?

my $.02: I went from living in my own beautiful apartment back to living in a dorm for grad school this year (a teensy little single-bedded room), and actually found it kind of nice to simplify. So I've decided to spend one more year of life in a dorm room (Bard), and then move downtown next year. That being said, if you've got a gf, that single bed ain't gonna be no fun...

Living off campus is fine - just keep in mind that all school related events happen on-campus (duh). Living close to campus comes in handy close to exams cuz of all the review sessions (at night). Study breaks, and other fun events are all on campus too. That said, plenty of ppl live off campus and make it work.

I've considered moving off campus too - mostly to just have a place away from the heights - but I can't justify the increase in cost - cuz I live in the Towers now. You guys should seriously look into getting into the Towers. They are amazing apts - very spacious - (by NYC standards) and not so hard to get into if you know waht to do. You can always live in Bard and then transfer into a vacancy when it opens up (no penalty to move within housing system). Towers come in 2,3,4 bedroom configurations. Mine is a 4 bedroom with 2 bathrooms , living room, and kitchen with dishwasher. Rent per person is between $650-750 (4 bedroom to 2 bedroom) plus gas/electricity. Remember high speed internet is included since it's Columbia housing. You sign an actual NYC lease for your room only. Central air conditioning, package service as well. If you're not from NYC, you won't get a doorman or central air unless u pay a crap load more. Almost all the apts have amazing views of the city as well. Plus the bard gym is right there.

About 5 of us procured tower rooms before starting school. NONE of us regret not living in Bard. (towers are right next to Bard, and Tower 1 is connected to Bard Lobby). And we especially love that we don't have to deal with housing at all until we graduate.

bonnei

is it hard to get a single room within one of the Tower apartments if we're just first years?

I'm having similar issues about moving to Bard. I have lived in the East Village for that past 3 years and am dreading the move to Washington Heights. However, I talked to many students and former students at Columbia and ALL of them suggested I live there the first year. It's only nine months, and you can move down with other students. It is TOTALLY doable to live downtown. I work at Columbia Pres. and live in the EV. It is a long commute (35-40 minutes), and a little bit more expensive, but to me it is worth it. So the bottom line is, Live in bard for the first year, make good friends in the school, then move Downtown for second year.

missbonnie said:
About 5 of us procured tower rooms before starting school. NONE of us regret not living in Bard. (towers are right next to Bard, and Tower 1 is connected to Bard Lobby). And we especially love that we don't have to deal with housing at all until we graduate.

bonnei

How did you get tower rooms before starting school? Any tips? :)

thanks to everyone who answered my previous post.

it's already been asked, but i would also like to know what the easiest way for an incoming m1 to get into the towers. also, i'm living in california right now, so i was wondering if there was some sort of online listing of openings, or if they are all posted on a bulletin in bard somewhere (i think i saw it during revisit).

If you don't live in NYC or can't come here, it'll be hard to get a tower room unless you know a student here. It'll be hard for someone to take u as a roommate if they can't meet you first (would you?). At least I wouldn't.

No online bulletin. Technically there is a list at the housing office but you have to physically go to apt and leave a note (yeah pretty dumb I know). I had a friend email the 3rd and 4th yr classes and I got 2 responses. I took one and I gave the other to a fellow classmate.

Honestly, if u really want a tower apt. the best thing to do is to come on campus for a few days and look at signs. There is also an off campus housing office that has signs for nearby apts if you are really adverse to living in Bard.

If I get emails about vacancies, I can let people know..not sure to do that discretely as I don't want to post emails or phone numbers. I'm not around this summer either, otherwise, I could be more helpful.

bonnie

welcome class of 2009!
just my experience: i lived off campus this year (moved to NYC with a dog), but not too far--up at 184th. it was a MUCH better neighborhood than around campus and MUCH cheaper/bigger than space downtown.
if you want to live off-campus call Adele Selick (sp?) in the off-campus housing office and ask for a list of landlords. i found a great one who takes columbia people without credit check or anything (and no fee for broker). she isn't always around (i had to come by many many times last summer and live in a sh***y apartment for a week before i was hooked up) but she has some good contacts.

that being said--i am (shock and horror) moving into bard for next year to be an RA. this will be the first time since one semester in undergrad when i lived in the dorms (and i'm not gonna say how long ago it was and give away that i'm a geriatric med student, but i took several years off since undergrad)...it will be different not having a kitchen or bathroom of my own, but it is sooo convenient and cheap.
and hopefully i'll get to know more of you guys in the class of 09--just PLEASE PLEASE do not lock yourselves out of your dorm rooms at 4am before a 2nd year exam ;)

okay, enough rambling...god SDN is good for avoiding studying. must...pass..first...year.
good luck guys & please ask if you want more info. i promise that all of us soon-to-be-second-years (YAY) are friendly and happy to help. and can't wait to meet you! :D

-noami
(P&S 2008)

Hey, I have a question for you current students. I'm going through the student insurance plan and can't find anything on dental coverage. Is it included in the plan?

The Remix said:
Hey, I gotta question for you current students. I'm going throught the student insurance plan and can't find anything on dental coverage. Is it included in the plan?

Good question. Can you guys also comment on how the coverage is in general? Do people ever get additional health insurance because they need more than the bare minimum?

thanks!

It's separate. They actually just added a "real" dental option for like $200 which includes 2 cleanings and some other things. It's not automatically added to your bill..I'm not sure how to sign up for it since it's going to new for us too.

They also added an annual eye exam to the health plan as well.

I don't have any health problems really so I only go for an annual physical and gyn. Basically the way it works from what I understand - for all basic primary care you use the on site health services (located in Tower 1 - right next to Bard hall), and u need a referral for anything "special". I find it pretty convienent (& easy to get an appt) and they have some prescription drugs (and oral contraceptives) for real cheap.

They might have a list of what is covered on the student health website:

http://www.columbiahealth.info/index.php

Bonnie (just finished first yr!!!!!)

missbonnie said:
Bonnie (just finished first yr!!!!!)

Congrats!

And thanks for the information :)

Are we going to be using our computers much? I'm trying to decide between getting a laptop and a desktop. Any advice?

bubblebutt said:
Are we going to be using our computers much? I'm trying to decide between getting a laptop and a desktop. Any advice?

it depends on you.
do you want to be able to take your computer with you? do you prefer less expensive/bigger moniter/features of a desktop?
i personally have my computer permanently attached to my lap (one of the small group preceptors actually refers to me as "noami with the computer" whenever he asks me a question) while a few of our classmates don't have a computer at all and rely on the computer labs.
the majority of the class has a computer of some sort, though few carry them as religiously as i do--and few would die the thousand deaths i'd die if their computers were lost.

the first year lecture hall is equiped with wireless internet, as are most of the buildings on campus (with the exception of Bard rooms...though it doesn't really matter since the rooms aren't big enough to actually NEED wireless and the study lounge downstairs is hooked up). i definitely loved having access to the internet all the time. there is an additional (one time) loan you can take out for a computer if you want--i think it was $1400 or so for a desktop and $2000 for a laptop.

there are things that you'll need a computer to do, it just depends on how mobile you'll want to be with it. my vote is absolutely for laptop though (as i hug mine).
desktops run cheaper though, so if you don't think you'll use the mobility features of a laptop it should be fine.

goodluck, PM me if you like
-n

my vote would be laptop hands down.

1) for mobility
2) wireless
3) mobility

you definitely need a computer here. everything is online. we have a main courses webpage where all lecture slides are posted (and grades). many online atlases, etc etc.

apple gives awesome student discounts. I got mine (powerbook g4) for like $1300 and got a 20gb ipod for $60, no joke. They have deals for students starting around August, so check out apple.com. usually a free inkjet is included too. i bought this with the one time computer loan like noami mentioned. i use my laptop all the time. I don't bring it to class much (as I don't take notes), many ppl type up notes in prep for exams. And many ppl study at the undergraduate library and bring their laptop with them (wireless there too).

Thanks for the advice Noami and MissBonnie

are we going to need to type up a lot of reports and stuff? I ask because I'm not used to typing on the miniature laptop keyboards. I was thinking that if there was a lot of report typing, then I should get the desktop.

bubblebutt said:
Thanks for the advice Noami and MissBonnie

are we going to need to type up a lot of reports and stuff? I ask because I'm not used to typing on the miniature laptop keyboards. I was thinking that if there was a lot of report typing, then I should get the desktop.

nope. not a lot of report typing. there are a couple of papers for clinical practice that you have to write, but never anything more than a couple of pages. there are some online exams though, and interactive stuff you'll definitely want to do online. (as an aside: i found things like the netter CD really helpful--you can search much more quickly than the paper version and it is a heck of a lot easier to carry around!)

back to typing: some people type notes, lots of people type (and share) review sheets as Bonnie said.
it took me a couple of days to get used to the smaller keyboard on my computer (Dell Inspiron 700m) but its fine now and i'm glad to have the lighter/smaller version.
some other laptops have larger keyboards and you could always get a separate keyboard to keep at home on your desk if you really don't like it.

i'm firmly in the laptop camp though, so i'm biased ;)