Columbia Psych Post-Bacc Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basedgod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I graduated from college in 2010 with a BA in Anthropology and now am considering applying to the Columbia post-bacc psychology program. My GPA is only 3.16, however I did go to a competitive school and did do a semester of psych research. Is there anyone here that may have some insight into the admissions averages of this program?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I might not be able to help with your direct question, but I just wanted to add that IMO you don't need a psych post-bac to complete the psych pre-reqs. My own experience in a post-bac pre-med program was that it was harder to knock out As because the program was full of hypermotivated people. Is there a reason you aren't considering a MA/MS in psych?

Roubs, thank you for replying. I am not ruling out MA programs, though I am unsure about how competitive I would be to most schools, and have also seen from posters on this forum that masters credits don't often transfer to PhD/PsyD programs. Also, I would ultimately like to apply to PhD/PsyD programs, and I figure the post-bac would give me more comprehensive preparation for graduate-level courses. I am figuring that the post-bacc would be a better transition than the MA, which would have me jumping immediately into graduate-level courses.

Columbia's post bac psych program has a pretty good reputation. You take fairly rigorous classes (I was an ugrad @ Columbia and majored in psych) and you get to be involved w/ faculty's research. If I remember correctly, the majority of their post bac students get into reputable PhD programs. I'm sure you can get their stats. Look at http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/ to find out which faculty may match your research interest. An alternative would be to start volunteering in a research lab or find a RA/coordinator job for 2 yrs before applying. Good luck! (The program isn't cheap and living in Morningside can get expensive)

Roubs, thank you for replying. I am not ruling out MA programs, though I am unsure about how competitive I would be to most schools, and have also seen from posters on this forum that masters credits don't often transfer to PhD/PsyD programs. Also, I would ultimately like to apply to PhD/PsyD programs, and I figure the post-bac would give me more comprehensive preparation for graduate-level courses. I am figuring that the post-bacc would be a better transition than the MA, which would have me jumping immediately into graduate-level courses.