Columbia Public Health

Started by nimboo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nimboo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any thoughts on the program? I know someone who decided to go there before med school. She thinks it will help her get into med school, but I think that improving mcats and doing research are more beneficial. What do ppl think about this?

The tuition is just wayyy too high and NY is too $$$...I feel that the financial burden outweighs any benefits..
 
nimboo said:
Any thoughts on the program? I know someone who decided to go there before med school. She thinks it will help her get into med school, but I think that improving mcats and doing research are more beneficial.

You're a wise man nimboo.

Depending on the program you're looking at, I think that Columbia is a fine school that will give you what you want if you put in the effort. However, to spend that much TIME just to get into medical school, with no intent of actually using the public health principles and practices learned, is a waste. If public health is something that you want to do, and you find that Columbia is the program that is most compatible to your needs, then money should not be a factor. However, if there is a similar state program (e.g., in quality) that will offer you about the same, then you might want to consider the cheaper program (unless you want to pay for the school's name).