Columbia Summer Sessions (2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaotic_quixotic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're looking to spend a lot of money. Columbia is ridiculously expensive and UNE is expensive too. You should really figure out where you want to apply and call each school to see where they stand on online coursework. If a school takes online lectures and labs, save your money and just do the labs through UNE (or some other less expensive online option). If they don't accept online prereqs at all, then you're plan won't work anyway and you'll be flushing a lot of money down the toilet.

Whether you can get away with doing your post-bacc at a community college or whether you need a fancy post-bacc or SMP depends largely on your academic rigor. Someone with a 3.9 cGPA from a decent brick and mortar school isn't going to have to overcome the same doubts about ability to handle rigor as someone with a 2.2 cGPA.

As an anecdote, I recall a former Army officer who took all his science coursework, including labs, through UNE while stationed in Korea. He was admitted.

You're looking to spend a lot of money. Columbia is ridiculously expensive and UNE is expensive too. You should really figure out where you want to apply and call each school to see where they stand on online coursework. If a school takes online lectures and labs, save your money and just do the labs through UNE (or some other less expensive online option). If they don't accept online prereqs at all, then you're plan won't work anyway and you'll be flushing a lot of money down the toilet.

Whether you can get away with doing your post-bacc at a community college or whether you need a fancy post-bacc or SMP depends largely on your academic rigor. Someone with a 3.9 cGPA from a decent brick and mortar school isn't going to have to overcome the same doubts about ability to handle rigor as someone with a 2.2 cGPA.

As an anecdote, I recall a former Army officer who took all his science coursework, including labs, through UNE while stationed in Korea. He was admitted.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, I've come to that conclusion after another 3 hours of research (I tried to delete this post but couldn't find the delete button). I think I'll give up on the Columbia sessions and maybe try to find a CC that I can do the lab work in-person if it's cheaper than UNE. I've already researched and emailed a couple of schools I'm interested in going and have the premed classes I want to take in mind. I also talked to a UNE representative and she said the lab kit may be hard to deliver as Korean customs are pretty strict, which I completely agree. So, that's also why I'd prefer to do the lab courses in-person.

Thanks for the anecdote! Gives me some sense of hope :) For now, I'll register for a UNE class and see how I like it and just focus on getting a high MCAT score.

Last edited: