Columbia, UMDNJ, Stony Brook, Univ Maryland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geno007

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I need some advice. I've been accepted to some of the above programs and I wanted to know what people thought. Each of these schools has a pro and con and I'm really confused as to which school I plan to attend.
Can some people who were accpeted offer their opinion, advice, and reasons for choosing the program above?

Thanks so much!!!

~Geno007

Members don't see this ad.

Geno007,
I know of two of those schools fairly well. I myself am seriously considering Columbia SDOS and am very familiar with the Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore. Two years ago I participated in their ODC program and got my first intro to the school. I ended up going back a few times to observe with Dr. Sharon Siegel (Removable Prosthodontics) and she's always been very honest and sincere with me. She actually wrote me a recommendation for AADSAS! Regardless, she is a friend of mine to this day; although I did not decide to go there (she has gotten a new position at Nova as well). Why not? I guess I'll break the school down like this:

Positives:
UMBC is one of those very balanced programs. It has both a strong research and clinical emphasis, so oportunities to be a great general dentist as well as specialize are easily at your fingertips. The clinics are right up there with the best I've seen and students really seem to benefit from having their own chair. I think overall, it being the first dental school gives it the experience and knowhow that has helped refine its program. In my mind I think it is THE standard for dental schools striving to be balanced, not overly clinical, but not so research oriented. You will get a great education and clinical exposure there. I always liked the nice balance of diversity there as well. The area is fairly inexpensive, especially in comparison to Manhattan. So as you can tell, I still have alot of respect for the school and the program.

Negative:
The first for me was location. I went to high school in Delaware and Baltimore has never done it for me. Sure the Inner Harbor area is scenic, but once you've been a couple times you've seen it all. Most of the students I know there do have a good time going into DC though. Besides location, I was kinda bummed Dr. Siegel and her husband were leaving...I know one single faculty member shouldn't be a reason, but it was for me. At the interview, they really emphasized the new clinic and dental school being built nextdoor to the current one, but I've been told be a current faculty member that as a student (class of 2007), the clinic wouldn't be available to me. That was surprising considering how much they sold the new facilities and promises of entering clinic 3rd year in a brand new facility. When the new school is established and utilized, it will be awesome, but I wouldn't want to risk 1.) Not being able to use it when told otherwise and 2.) I'd rather enter the new school as a 1st year rather than go through the transition and phasing in of the building...that's just me though; but I am going with the advice from a person I trust greatly that it will not be available regardless. Besides those reasons, I just saw other programs that were comparable and whos locale, among other things, I just liked better.

I hope that helps with Maryland; two years ago that was my top choice and as you can tell I still have a tremendous respect for the students and faculty there.

Wow, this is a long one....

Columbia
Positives:
It's a great school if you want to specialize and be in New York. Being in the Upper West Side allows you to be in a great area for study, while only being 20-30 minutes from the nightlife of NYC. I am really sold on spending four years of my life in NYC and experiencing that for what it is worth. That is a major reason I love Columbia. The faculty and students alike are very impressive, as with most Ivy League schools, the faculty are at the top of their fields and they really want you to excel, if its not just for their own reputation - but regardless. I loved the city scene of Washington Heights and the Upper West Side - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know I would get an excellent education in parallel with the college of physicians and surgeons and be in a great position to specialize if that becomes my desire. I really liked the incorporation of a concentration track during your clinical years as well. It is Columbia and you have some of the best resources and alternate colleges and schools at your fingertips (especially at the Morningside campus). It is without a doubt a great area to be a student.

Negative:
Housing is expensive and typical of Manhattan. The weather can be messy (that will be a tough one coming from SC if I end up going there). I like to drive my car, so thats another negative. I'm not sure if this is just purely speculation, but because the college of physicians and surgeons is so well off and has so much money/power in Columbia's Health Science Campus, I wonder if the dental school is neglected at all? I doubt this considering both colleges are taught together though. I think it is important to add that clinically, most students either enter a GPR or specialty program upon graduation - so don't expect tremendous clinical work like a Temple. But that doesn't mean you can't concentrate on general dentistry there - But it is definately an excellent school for specialty. The students I know there love it, but understand what they were getting into at the same time. You will be well prepared for both national boards; Columbia is Columbia. So it just depends if you feel its a place for you.

I hope this overly long response helps you out...Too bad I don't know much about the other two you mentioned; yea right

housing expensive?
I was paying the same amount at ucla for the same size room and I had to share a room...

Stargirl,
I was referring to the cost of living in Manhattan as opposed to Baltimore. Columbia Health Science student housing is very reasonable, but outside of STUDENT housing, apartments in NY are the highest in the country. (LA is right up there too)