Columbia vs. Buffalo vs. Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marc6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you want to specialize? What’s the cost of attendance looking like for each school?

Reactions: 1 user
Chose Stony cause it's cheaper while still not being too far away from home.

In terms of specializing, you can specialize just about from anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can specialize from anywhere but if you have low confidence in yourself and/or capabilities, I'd go pass fail with a med curriculum in a heart beat. Up to you to decide if it's worth the extra cost.

Stony brook (if you want OS)

It has a lot of opportunity to get in with the residents and assist (the class size is under 50). The first year curriculum also covers 2 years of medical school (helps for the CBSE). Highest clinical requirements (pull over 100 teeth). It’s also not ranked and no +/- grading. It’s just in a boring location, so if Columbia is the same price and you want to be in the city I’d lean towards Columbia since it’s also a great school to specialize from.

I know nothing about Buffalo.

Not in dental school but have friends currently in 4th year at Stony and they have only positive things to say about the school.
Columbia is a great school but their COA is something to think about.
If I were you, I would try to lower the overall debt. GL

It has a lot of opportunity to get in with the residents and assist (the class size is under 50). The first year curriculum also covers 2 years of medical school (helps for the CBSE). Highest clinical requirements (pull over 100 teeth). It’s also not ranked and no +/- grading. It’s just in a boring location, so if Columbia is the same price and you want to be in the city I’d lean towards Columbia since it’s also a great school to specialize from.

Only 1 year of medical school.

I remember hearing Stony Brook medical schools first year is a traditional 2 year curriculum merged into 1 year. Am I thinking of the wrong school?

I highly doubt they do that lol. they shortened it by maybe half a semester at most.

You can specialize from anywhere but if you have low confidence in yourself and/or capabilities, I'd go pass fail with a med curriculum in a heart beat. Up to you to decide if it's worth the extra cost.
]

Last edited:

]

Last edited:
I'm a D1 at stony and will tell you the classes aren't as hard as you think. But that's just my opinion,

These questions are targeted at anyone who is/has ever been in the position where they're deciding between Stony dental and Columbia: What made you choose one over the other? Im seriously debating between the two and can't seem to make a decision. Apart from the apparent price difference, both schools seem to be integrate themselves with med school and leave the door open to specialize. Are there any selling points for either school that made it a no-brainer when choosing? Is there anything you wish you'd known before committing? I'd be very grateful for any input on this!!

Last edited:
These questions are targeted at anyone who is/has ever been in the position where they're deciding between Stony dental and Columbia: What made you choose one over the other? Im seriously debating between the two and can't seem to make a decision. Apart from the apparent price difference, both schools seem to be integrate themselves with med school and leave the door open to specialize. Are there any selling points for either school that made it a no-brainer when choosing? Is there anything you wish you'd known before committing? I'd be very grateful for any input on this!!
They're basically the same school except one carries a more noticeable name (if that matters to you), and the other is less expensive. Both med-school integrated, both great for specializing/general. I know Columbia is getting/just got brand new facilities which look amazing from what I've seen online.

Stony Brook or Buffalo, heard good things from SB. Talk to Likkriue - he's very active on this site.

Don't fall for Columbia - please stop feeding the troll. By trolls I mean the dental schools selling "easy specializing" to pre-dents for criminal prices. Seriously: The price tag should immediately disqualify it when you have two other great, cheaper schools as options.