Columbia Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CalBeE said:
Dr. Frantz called me on my cell phone today. He agreed to give me a second interview! Wish me good luck!

Wow! Good luck Calbee! If he's even bothering to do a second interview this late, it must mean he is seriously considering you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

CalBeE said:
Dr. Frantz called me on my cell phone today. He agreed to give me a second interview! Wish me good luck!
Sweet deal Cal! :thumbup: That's interesting though, Dr. Frantz usually emails or writes a letter when he's interested in second interviewing you. Did you request one, or did he call out of the blue? If I got a call from P&S on my cell, I might've fainted.

YAY CalBeE! we're all wishing you good luck! let us know when your big day is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent Frantz an email requesting for a second interview about like a month ago. He never replied so I thought he either ignored or deleted it. Then yesterday he called on my cell; I was at a conference so I couldn't take the call. He left a message, referring to the email I sent, and asked me to call back to schedule a second interview.

CalBeE said:
I sent Frantz an email requesting for a second interview about like a month ago. He never replied so I thought he either ignored or deleted it. Then yesterday he called on my cell; I was at a conference so I couldn't take the call. He left a message, referring to the email I sent, and asked me to call back to schedule a second interview.

Hey man,

This is a really good sign. He might ask you if you will attend Columbia if accepted (on the spot intent!!), but you might be offered a place if this is so. Let us know what happens. The class of 08 at Columbia are awesome people.

I've been trying break away from SDN ;) . . . but I couldn't resist myself, anyone hear anything lately?

CalBeE said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

yay! Let me know when you come to NYC!

best of luck..and yes, at this point in the game, he may ask you on the spot if you would definitely want to come to P&S (which usually means he will accept you on the spot).

bonnie

I just released my acceptance on Friday, so hopefully someone else'll get it soon!

Good luck!

say aaahh! said:
I just released my acceptance on Friday, so hopefully someone else'll get it soon!

Good luck!

Thanks for letting us know. Good luck wherever you go!

I was just taken off Mount Sinai's waitlist on Friday. I feel so lucky to have so many choices, but why doesn't Dr. Frantz like me?? :( :(

How long has columbia been running a one man adcom like this? Are there any other schools like this?

stoleyerscrubz said:
How long has columbia been running a one man adcom like this? Are there any other schools like this?

Not everyone has their interview with Frantz.

Sixdegrees said:

Not everyone has their interview with Frantz.

true, but if you're coming in off the waitlist you've gotta go through Frantz.
i don't think many other schools operate like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to those getting off the waitlist! See u in August!

seems like those who don't interview with frantz get the better end of the deal. there's at least some potential for getting a second interview that way. i kind of feel like someone like me, having interviewed with him in the first place, has pretty much no shot now. especially this year.

is the waitlist really, truly moving "really slowly" this year compared to past years?

I've got a feeling that the waitlist movement for this year is completely finito. Dr. Frantz says the class is full. Either way, NYC, here I come!

And to answer a previous query, everyone might not interview with Dr. Frantz, but all acceptances go through his approval. Love it or hate it-- I guess that depends on whether you got accepted or not.

Anyone talk to him in the past week or two?

KylahM said:
I've heard--I know--that some people have heard very positive things from him recently.

such as?

KylahM said:
Again, if there's ANYTHING we've learned it's that you can't take what he says at face-value. I've heard--I know--that some people have heard very positive things from him recently. So there's still hope! :)

yes, i'm extremely interested in learning what you've heard as well!

whateverhappened with CalBeE? CalBeE, are you there? How did the second interview go, or have you not had it yet? Mayb you've just been on a bender since the good news.

Yeah, calbee, you still alive bro?

No new info on my front. The waiting continues.

What's this new info people are receiving from Dr. Frantz, kylah? I'm curious what the word is recently, as it's been a couple weeks since I last talked to him.

i think calbee is in FLorida visiting his parents.

I had my second interview last Friday, but at the end, Dr. Frantz said currently the class is still a couple people overbooked, and wouldn't be able to offer me a spot at the moment. But I felt that the interview went well in general.

missbonnie said:
i think calbee is in FLorida visiting his parents.
That was last week ;) This week I'm visiting my sister in NYC. I visited Central Park for the first time today!

CalBeE--

Good to hear you had a good second interview :thumbup: . Enjoy NYC. I'm jealous--I wish I were there ;) !

CalBeE said:
That was last week ;) This week I'm visiting my sister in NYC. I visited Central Park for the first time today!
Hey Calbee, that's great to hear. Hopefully you get in if he gave you positive reviews at the interview itself. And Central Park is awesome, one of the best parts of Mahattan. My building next year overlooks the Central Park reservoir. I can't wait :D . It's complete with a huge jogging path around the reservoir and all. Hope you had fun in NYC, it's the greatest place on Earth.

got the call a few days ago, I'm in!

thanks for all the advice on this thread; perseverance really paid off. I had a second interview and sent a few LOIs. I was told that the class was oversubscribed and that the waitlist is moving more slowly than it has in the past.

best of luck to everyone, I hope to see some of you at orientation.

Congratulations, PJM! You must be ecstatic. I hope this is a sign of good news to come for everyone else waiting for news.

CONGRATS PJM!!!!

:) see you in august!

pjm said:
got the call a few days ago, I'm in!

thanks for all the advice on this thread; perseverance really paid off. I had a second interview and sent a few LOIs. I was told that the class was oversubscribed and that the waitlist is moving more slowly than it has in the past.

best of luck to everyone, I hope to see some of you at orientation.
Yea that's good news. I actually had a good feeling after the interview, but I mean, it's hard to tell what will happen, I guess.

I'll be out of town again for the next week. This time to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon. Hopefully someone will get some good news!

BUMP!!

Sorry to get you excited for seeing this thread come back up again. I just want to know who else wants to write a rejection letter to Dr. Franz?

JohnnieBlue said:
BUMP!!

Sorry to get you excited for seeing this thread come back up again. I just want to know who else wants to write a rejection letter to Dr. Franz?
Haha, count me in. "I can assure you that I won't keep you very strongly in mind. The lack of a tangible Admissions Committee at P&S has forced me to select from other more quantifiable schools. Best of luck in your endeavors to bring classical piano, rugby and theater into the field of medicine."

TheFlash said:
Haha, count me in. "I can assure you that I won't keep you very strongly in mind. The lack of an tangible Admissions Committee at P&S has forced me to select from other more quantifiable schools. Best of luck in your endeavors to bring classical piano, rugby and theater into the field of medicine."

LOL!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm still working on mine. So far:

Dear Franzy,

Movement has been very slow for me this year, especially since I got into another great school and am just sitting around. I've kept my interview experience strongly in mind and have concluded that I can only give second visits to a select few schools. In fact, at this point I'm actually overbooked with acceptances and may have to turn down some schools that have promised me a spot. Have no fear though, my powerhungry friend-- I will continue to hold my waitlist spot in Columbia until the day classes begin, because of course I will drop all plans so that I can switch schools at the last moment so that I will feel like I owe my professional life solely to you. Thank you for allowing me to have hope for 4 months and for letting me see how low I would stoop in order to attend a school that isn't right for me anyway. You truely are the puppetmaster, uncanny resemblance to Gepeto aside. Oh, and lose that snooty tone of voice on the phone.

Love,
Johnnie

ps- I'm starting a rugby team at Mount Sinai next year and we're gonna kick Columbia's A@$!!!

Haha, hot shiz, Johnnie. I like the pet name for the good doctor.

You decided on MSSM for next year? Last I heard you were considering also considering NYU and UMD? If you're gonna be at MSSM, rock on!

I like this idea of talking about other schools on this thread. Anyway, I went with UMD because of cost and I was happier there than with what I saw at NYU, even though UMD isn't a "brand name" school. Then 2 weeks ago I got off of the waitlist at Sinai. I still haven't given them a definate yes, but I really liked what I saw during my interview and am strongly considering biting the bullet and taking out lots of loans, something that I won't have to do at all in MD. I'm leaning towards Sinai, but can't say for sure until after this weekend. I'll keep ya posted...

They were pretty good with my FA package. It ended up being cheaper than my state schools, if you can believe that!

Anyway, back to Columbia...

I just got a letter saying that columbia would take the liberty of removing my application from future consideration. wooh! oh well, i've lost all interest in the school anyway. :thumbup:

That's pretty crucial, bro. Hopefully things work out/have worked out for you in the end. :)

Looks like they're starting to pare down their gonzonormous waitlist. I'll be expecting a letter any day now.

I got the call!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe j/k :laugh: . Hope I didn't give anyone a heart attack ;) Actually, I called him today and officially removed myself from the waitlist. I am really pumped about Chicago and Northwestern (and living in a high rise apartment right in the heart of downtown :D ), and just needed some closure, you know? I really now think that NU is the best fit for me, and if he were to call later this summer and offer me a spot, I don't know if I'd be able to resist, so I don't want to put myself in that situation. Columbia obviously is a great school, and I wish you all who are still waiting the best of luck in getting in or at whatever school you end up attending. And to JohnnieBlue and the Flash . . . I was in NYC this past weekend, and wow, mount sinai is in such a kick as$ location :thumbup: .

Nike said:
And to JohnnieBlue and the Flash . . . I was in NYC this past weekend, and wow, mount sinai is in such a kick as$ location :thumbup: .

Kudos on your decision, Nike. That takes some cajones that I haven't quite found yet. :) Speaking of MSSM's location, NU's locale, smack in the middle of the North Side of Chicago, is arguably the best in the country. Good luck there, I know you're gonna have a blast! :horns:

To inform all of you still on the waitlist, I was accepted off the list yesterday. This means that there is still movement but, unfortunately, I have to say that Dean Frantz told me on a phone call days prior to my admission that I was only one of a few candidates that he was still actively considering. I wish the best for all still hoping for admission but you probably also want to know the realistic chances. To let people know, I sent Dean Frantz a half dozen letters in addition to multiple calls and faxes. I sent my first letter of intent prior to the February decisions. I had my research director send Frantz a letter of recommendation and had my director call him later on. And furthermore, the Dean seemed set on trying accept me only after a manuscript I co-authored was accepted by a prestigious medical journal. In sum, then, it seems that this was a rough year for wait-list candidates at Columbia. I feel very fortunate and lucky to have been accepted, and wish that all of you who truly wanted to go there would be accepted too. Unfortunately, I am sure that there a lot of kids going to Columbia who are whining because they didn't get into Harvard/etc, and people like that don't deserve to go.

And I am the person to which KylahM refers.

Nike.

I have worked at Northwestern for the past year and was set to attend NU before getting accepted to Columbia. It was a very tough choice turning NU down because it is a fantastic school in an unbeatable location in Chicago, my hometown, which I think is a tremendously underrated city. You made a fine choice and I know you will have a great time. Email me with any questions. I can hook you up with current NU students who can give you the information you need to stay ahead of the game there.

Thanks k-kidmed, and congratulations on getting into Columbia!!!

k-kidmed said:
This means that there is still movement but, unfortunately, I have to say that Dean Frantz told me on a phone call days prior to my admission that I was only one of a few candidates that he was still actively considering.

congrats, k-kidmed.

just wondering, about the phone call days prior to your admission, were you the one who called? or was it frantz who called? thanks.

I always contacted him. The only time he contacted me directly was when he called to offer the acceptance. However, when I first phoned him in early May (this was after I sent several letters and had my research director call him) he suggested, on his own, that I come in for a second interview (I had previously made the offer to come in for a second interview in March). I had my second interview in mid-May.

k-kidmed said:
I always contacted him. The only time he contacted me directly was when he called to offer the acceptance. However, when I first phoned him in early May (this was after I sent several letters and had my research director call him) he suggested, on his own, that I come in for a second interview (I had previously made the offer to come in for a second interview in March). I had my second interview in mid-May.
I had my second interview back in early June but still no word yet...don't wanna sound pessimistic, but you may be the last person to be accepted off the waitlist :(