Columbia Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JohnnieBlue said:
After all of these posts, I feel pretty silly not asking him my chances when I called a few days ago. Now I'm stuck in suspense for quite some time. :scared:

When can I call back again and ask? I don't want to sound too pathetic...

JohnnieBlue, during my second interview and just two days ago when I called, he stressed to me both times not to ever feel bad about calling and to call any time I had any more questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Nike said:
JohnnieBlue, during my second interview and just two days ago when I called, he stressed to me both times not to ever feel bad about calling and to call any time I had any more questions.
I actually had similar concern too, but it was regarding emails. I thought that he would get annoyed if I send stuff to his personal email address. So when I called the admission office and asked the secretary if it's better to email to the general admission email address or Dr. Frantz's personal address, the secretary said, "Either is fine, but probably Dr. Frantz's email is better".

I was a bit surprised cause I always thought administrators usually prefer not to be bothered at their personal email address.

CalBeE said:
I actually had similar concern too, but it was regarding emails. I thought that he would get annoyed if I send stuff to his personal email address. So when I called the admission office and asked the secretary if it's better to email to the general admission email address or Dr. Frantz's personal address, the secretary said, "Either is fine, but probably Dr. Frantz's email is better".

I was a bit surprised cause I always thought administrators usually prefer not to be bothered at their personal email address.

Did he give his email address to you? In terms of sending him an update letter or letter of intent/interest, I've sent everything to him via priority mail. That way he can't miss it, and it can be put directly into my file, so he won't forget I contacted him. If you have a question, I would probably just call, but that's just what I would prefer to do. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nike said:
Did he give his email address to you? In terms of sending him an update letter or letter of intent/interest, I've sent everything to him via priority mail. That way he can't miss it, and it can be put directly into my file, so he won't forget I contacted him. If you have a question, I would probably just call, but that's just what I would prefer to do. Good luck!
I sent my last letter of interest to his email....but then I mailed in a hard copy too...I think regular mail is a better way to do it.

I'd email him if I have a quick question that can be answered without a phone call. His email is actually public information that can be found on Columbia's main web site.

CalBeE said:
His email is actually public information that can be found on Columbia's main web site.

If it's public info, go for it! Good luck!

Nike said:

Are you sure that he wasn't so nice to you since you are being strongly considered (or are accepted already)? I didn't get a second interview so who knows if he wants to hear from me. The truth is, I don't want to get shot down if I ask him what my chances are. At least now there's hope!

JohnnieBlue said:
Are you sure that he wasn't so nice to you since you are being strongly considered (or are accepted already)? I didn't get a second interview so who knows if he wants to hear from me. The truth is, I don't want to get shot down if I ask him what my chances are. At least now there's hope!

i called the other day and never had a second interview (although i did interview with him the first time around) but he was just as nice to me. said to call any time and that it wasn't annoying at all. and that he always takes calls from people on the waitlist. he also said it was hard to tell what anyone's chances were until after may 15 and that if i haven't heard in 2-3 weeks, i should call back. and gave me that whole "keep you strongly in mind" shpiel. looks like we have to just sit around and wait for a little while longer...

JohnnieBlue said:
From a couple of people I talked to here on SDN, it seems like Frantz will be honest if your chance's not looking good. He may be a bit vague if you're on neither extreme though (Very good and very bad chance).

JohnnieBlue said:

No, I haven't been accepted yet. I don't think he was just being nice to me . . . I think tries to be available to all people on the waitlist and to answer their questions honestly. I've always (I've only talked to him twice) talked to his secretary first. If he was busy, she simply told me to call back at a certain time when she thought he'd be available. The first time I tried to ask her a question about the waitlist, and she was like, "any questions about the waitlist would be better directed to Dr. Frantz. He'll be be able to answer them. He should be around his office at 1:00 (or whatever time). Why don't you call back then." I really don't think you have anything to lose by calling (unless you literally called every single day). I'm sure he gets calls all the time, and if anything, it will show him you are still interested, which he seems to value very much.

CalBeE said:
From a couple of people I talked to here on SDN, it seems like Frantz will be honest if your chance's not looking good. He may be a bit vague if you're on neither extreme though (Very good and very bad chance).
Yeah, this is true. Like the infamous "vanishingly small chances" comment from last year. That was crucial.

I just got a letter from Einstein offering me a 10g a year scholarship. This is an amazing deal which I would for sure take if Columbia doesn't come through. When I call Dean Frantz, is it worth mentioning that Einstein offered me a scholarship but I would turn it down if I was accepted to Columbia?

kwanny said:
yo, i called him around the same time today, and i think it was you who called him before me, cuz... uh... he mistakenly called me "calbee." hehe...

well, he didn't tell me "in the middle," but he told me that my chances of getting off the waitlist is 50/50, which is a lot better than I had thought originally. = )
:laugh: This is similar to one I got from him. He mentioned having "a record few withdrawls this year. Only a very few have been accepted from the alternate list so far. It looks like the people we have accepted are either coming here definitely or haven't gotten in anywhere else. [that part was kind of a downer] So even though I'd like to be more optimistic with you, I honestly have no idea. However, I can estimate that you have about a 25% to 75% chance of being accepted from the list. I know that isn't too helpful, but it's the best I can do with the situation this year."

Anyhoo, I think that interquartile range he gave me sorta translates into a 50/50. Ah well, I guess that remains to be seen.

Waitlists are the worst. :-/

TheFlash said:
:laugh: This is similar to one I got from him. He mentioned having "a record few withdrawls this year. Only a very few have been accepted from the alternate list so far. It looks like the people we have accepted are either coming here definitely or haven't gotten in anywhere else. [that part was kind of a downer] So even though I'd like to be more optimistic with you, I honestly have no idea. However, I can estimate that you have about a 25% to 75% chance of being accepted from the list. I know that isn't too helpful, but it's the best I can do with the situation this year."

Anyhoo, I think that interquartile range he gave me sorta translates into a 50/50. Ah well, I guess that remains to be seen.

Waitlists are the worst. :-/

maybe i'll (fake) cry to him on the phone about how i have zero acceptances so far. ;) in any case, like everyone's been agreeing, it seems like you should be optimistic still unless he tells you you have basically no chance.

good luck, friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnnieBlue said:
I just got a letter from Einstein offering me a 10g a year scholarship. This is an amazing deal which I would for sure take if Columbia doesn't come through. When I call Dean Frantz, is it worth mentioning that Einstein offered me a scholarship but I would turn it down if I was accepted to Columbia?
If I were you, I wouldn't mention the specific name of the school "Einstein"...just b/c Columbia and Einstein are both in NYC...you never know, if words get to Einstein, it's not good for you if you end up going there...but then I'm being paranoid.

Maybe say something along the line of "I'd give up my acceptance at a school that offers me a 10G scholarship, if I get accepted by P&S"

I called Dean Frantz today. We actually had a really nice conversation and I felt good about it afterwards. I told him about the Einstein scholarship and how I would turn it down to go to Columbia. He seemed impressed by the award and also that I would turn it down. Still, he said that I should probably take Einstein up on their offer since the waitlist was not moving much at all. He went as far as to say that he might not be able to take people off the list who he already promised spots to. He didn't say my chances were zero since you never know what might happen. But he didn't seem too optimistic and said it was probably 5-10%. While I'm obviously disappointed, I am happy to have some kind of resolution. If he calls me back, I'd go in a heartbeat, but I feel like I have a weight lifted off of my shoulders in that I can now choose among my other choices more clearly. Good luck to everyone else!

Well good news is in order. While Columbia is an awesome place, and I'm breaking my heart a bit, I've decided to withdraw my spot. Good luck to you guys.

JohnnieBlue said:
I called Dean Frantz today. We actually had a really nice conversation and I felt good about it afterwards. I told him about the Einstein scholarship and how I would turn it down to go to Columbia. He seemed impressed by the award and also that I would turn it down. Still, he said that I should probably take Einstein up on their offer since the waitlist was not moving much at all. He went as far as to say that he might not be able to take people off the list who he already promised spots to. He didn't say my chances were zero since you never know what might happen. But he didn't seem too optimistic and said it was probably 5-10%. While I'm obviously disappointed, I am happy to have some kind of resolution. If he calls me back, I'd go in a heartbeat, but I feel like I have a weight lifted off of my shoulders in that I can now choose among my other choices more clearly. Good luck to everyone else!

I'm glad to hear you had a good talk with him. Congrats on your scholarship to Einstein by the way . . . that's awesome. I was reading through the columbia waitlist thread from last year, and it sounds like things at this point are pretty similar to last year. Supposedly at this time last year there were "fewer withdrawals" than usual and very little waitlist movement, but people still go accepted towards the end of May . . . so maybe there's still some hope.

Nike said:
I'm glad to hear you had a good talk with him. Congrats on your scholarship to Einstein by the way . . . that's awesome. I was reading through the columbia waitlist thread from last year, and it sounds like things at this point are pretty similar to last year. Supposedly at this time last year there were "fewer withdrawals" than usual and very little waitlist movement, but people still go accepted towards the end of May . . . so maybe there's still some hope.
That's good to hear. I guess when One person's accepted off the waitlist, it triggers a chain of events at other schools as well.
It still seems to me that a 2nd interview with Frantz is pretty important. Even though people not getting a 2nd interview still got accepted, those that did seem to have a higher chance.

hmm, so yesterday was a "50/50" day and today was an "alas, the waitlist seems futile" day. I wonder what tomorrow will be...

(in the true fashion of intlmd07) did anyone call or hear from the man today?

i kept calling and the secretary would tell me when to call back but each time he still wasn't around. in any case, it was late, so i might have missed him.

maybe columbia got like 100 withdrawals today, eh? :p

medstylee said:
(in the true fashion of intlmd07) did anyone call or hear from the man today?

i kept calling and the secretary would tell me when to call back but each time he still wasn't around. in any case, it was late, so i might have missed him.

maybe columbia got like 100 withdrawals today, eh? :p

yeah i called like 3 times today and the secretary was all like "hmm...i have no idea where he is." she just told me to try again on monday.

raincrew said:
yeah i called like 3 times today and the secretary was all like "hmm...i have no idea where he is." she just told me to try again on monday.

He probably really wasn't there. The first time I tried to call about a month and a half ago, I kept getting "call back at 12, call back at 1, call back at 2, call back in 5 minutes, call back in 10 minutes"....literally 14 times. It got to the point where the secretary felt so bad that she had the man himself actually call me back later that day when he was available. Given that this was some time ago and considering the madness that must be taking place today, I'm sure he really was busy.

The secretaries have been very honest every time I called, sometimes they are able to tell me what time to call back if Frantz's away. Well today's not the best day of the year to call anyway.

Good luck getting through with him tomorrow :thumbup:. Keep us posted on what he says!

I actually talked to him last week, and he was really friendly. Today I sent in another letter, so I guess we'll have to see what happens in the next two weeks. If there's going to be any movement, I'm assuming it's going to happen within the next two weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hey all,

Well, I finally got in touch with Dr. Frantz today. He told me that the class remains overbooked as of today and that the chances of anyone being removed from the alternate list seems "exceedingly small, if not nil." So, that's the deal. He told me some of the same things that he's told others - he may have to rescind some of the verbal offers that he has made to people accepted off the list. Yikes! In any case, sounds like Columbia is a done deal for me. Oh well. Good luck to everyone.

He can ask those people to defer a year... it's probably illegal to withdraw an acceptance for anything other than for very specific reasons.

Yeah, I'd guess the same. I just took that as him being overly explicit about how small the chances of coming off the list are at this point. He was just making sure I understand clearly (hence the "yikes!").

Overbooking hunh? Sounds like something Cornell and Northwestern did some years ago. Anyone out there who'd give up their spot for a year in exchange for say, a years tuition?

medstylee said:
Hey all,

Well, I finally got in touch with Dr. Frantz today. He told me that the class remains overbooked as of today and that the chances of anyone being removed from the alternate list seems "exceedingly small, if not nil." So, that's the deal. He told me some of the same things that he's told others - he may have to rescind some of the verbal offers that he has made to people accepted off the list. Yikes! In any case, sounds like Columbia is a done deal for me. Oh well. Good luck to everyone.

man, that sucks, oh well. thanks for the update.

hey,

thanks for making that call. must have been tough to hear. it sounds like we should pretty much all give up hope, right? (i was in the 50/50 category before this). i'm having trouble letting go mentally though. can you give me a reality check and just reassure that all of us waitlisters now have basically zero chance of getting in? :(

i can't believe it is possible for them to rescind offers, unless, as some say, people specifically accept this in exchange for tuition, etc.
i wonder if he was referring to an excess of verbal offers or if he's actually talking about on-paper commitments that they've made to people (if so, i'm scared!)

is this similar to anything he said to people in previous years? i don't remember that exact comment from last year's posts, but....
ugh.

Ouch, rescinding offers already made off the waitlist? Blech... That's exactly what happens when a sole individual is in charge of an entire school's admissions process. :rolleyes:

Don't worry noami, they're not dumb enough to pass on a benevolent soul like yourself. Especially since he let you in last week knowing that the class was overbooked. You've got nothing to stress about. :)

medstylee said:
Hey all,

personally, i think it's just frantz's way of saying "no" as pleasantly as possible. i mean, if he's told people in the past week alone that they have a 50/50 chance of getting off the list, what he said to you is impossible. i think it's been documented pretty well on SDN that he says random things to people that may or may not be true. that really sucks though medstylee. good luck w/ your other waitlists!

raincrew said:
personally, i think it's just frantz's way of saying "no" as pleasantly as possible. i mean, if he's told people in the past week alone that they have a 50/50 chance of getting off the list, what he said to you is impossible. i think it's been documented pretty well on SDN that he says random things to people that may or may not be true. that really sucks though medstylee. good luck w/ your other waitlists!
But last week was Pre-May 15. This week is Post-May 15. Maybe last week he was still expect a certain amount of people to withdraw at the last minute...turned out that not as many people did so as he exepected...hence the change of saying...:(

CalBeE said:
But last week was Pre-May 15. This week is Post-May 15. Maybe last week he was still expect a certain amount of people to withdraw at the last minute...turned out that not as many people did so as he exepected...hence the change of saying...:(
Actually, I agree along the lines of what raincrew said. Dr. Frantz apparently had a complete 180 over the weekend? Seems unlikely. Giving different responses to people according to how interested he is in them? Seems more likely.

Keep your head up medstylee, we're all in this together. Best of luck man.

Hey - I think I sort of agree somewhat with everyone who just posted.

noami - i'm sorry, i should have just exercised better judgment and not gone ahead an posted that part. i'm sure you're fine. although he did tell me that... like thewebthsp said, he probably can't actually rescind an offer after he's promised it. if it's not legally binding, it's morally binding. and, unless he has no soul, i think the worst he'd do would ask if you would be willing to defer. who really knows. congrats anyway!

everyone else - i tend to agree with whoever said that his response types all seem to be relative to each other. The worse your chances, the more hopeless his response. So, I believe that CalbeE's and all the others' 50/50 estimates indicate they are in better positions than those like me who got the "exceedingly small" comment. But, I can't see why he would lie to me about the class being overbooked as of today. That would be useless information. All he would have to say was that my chances didn't look good. I would think he would know better than to make a bogus statement about something that important. I agree that his purpose in telling me that was to solidify the fact that my chances are close to nil in my mind. In any case, I think some of you guys still have a chance. Maybe, based on what he said, it will just take a while. I'll probably send in another letter just in case a miracle happens, but I think he was pretty clear in his message to me.

Best of luck!

do any of you know of columbia acceptances of applicants with low gpa( less than 3.5) or low mcats( less than 34)? {low being their standadrs}

I really want to know if the process is truly so random that even i have a chance! yay... ok shouldnt get my hopes up...

I don't really see why he couldn't rescind a verbal offer. There is nothing in writing, and while a verbal agreement is technically legally binding, I would be shocked if an admissions officer (espcially one like Frantz, who seems to be unceasingly prudent) would not qualify any premature verbal admissions offer with all sorts of disclaimers. Anyway, doesn't look good, especially those that completely stopped caring after an offer came along from another comparable school. Nevertheless, good luck to all those still in the race.

medstylee said:
everyone else - i tend to agree with whoever said that his response types all seem to be relative to each other. The worse your chances, the more hopeless his response. So, I believe that CalbeE's and all the others' 50/50 estimates indicate they are in better positions than those like me who got the "exceedingly small" comment.

Mine actually wasn't exactly the 50/50 response. I specifically asked him, "What do you feel about my chances? Not so good, in the middle, or...??", He thought about it a bit and said "probably in the middle".

My hope's dropping by the week as I find out more and more people getting 2nd interviews or being offered acceptance. I mean how many people can he really take off from the waitlist? Like 20-30 max? It seems like it's already approaching that number.

CalBeE said:
Mine actually wasn't exactly the 50/50 response. I specifically asked him, "What do you feel about my chances? Not so good, in the middle, or...??", He thought about it a bit and said "probably in the middle".

My hope's dropping by the week as I find out more and more people getting 2nd interviews or being offered acceptance. I mean how many people can he really take off from the waitlist? Like 20-30 max? It seems like it's already approaching that number.

How many people have you heard of that have been taken off the waitlist?

Nike said:
How many people have you heard of that have been taken off the waitlist?
My impression is that it's close to ten...but I can be way off. Plus there are those who never post on SDN.

hey guys i wouldnt worry yet..it is still very early! Remember, ppl holding on to Columbia may be waiting for other places..and a lot more shifting/switching around will occur - mainly late May and June.

I highly doubt that Columbia will not take more ppl this yr.

bonnie

amena said:
do any of you know of columbia acceptances of applicants with low gpa( less than 3.5) or low mcats( less than 34)? {low being their standadrs}

I really want to know if the process is truly so random that even i have a chance! yay... ok shouldnt get my hopes up...

Yes. i.e. me.

amena said:

In a way, although Columbia has a very high average GPA and MCAT, just like many other schools, it still accept people who are quite below that average. Columbia in particular, seems to look for particular types of people...

medstylee said:
Hey all,

just got off the phone w/ frantz and he pretty much told me verbatim what you wrote. sounded to me like he was reciting a line and wanted to get off the phone as soon as possible. well, cross me off the list for columbia.

Dude, Dr. Frantz is being brutally honest this week. Maybe I should call him and ask him about my "real" chances after being gassed up last week...

TheFlash said:
Dude, Dr. Frantz is being brutally honest this week. Maybe I should call him and ask him about my "real" chances after being gassed up last week...

I know . . . I wanna call but am scared :scared: