Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Comlex passing rates the first time

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rightfooted, Jan 4, 2009.

1. rightfooted

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know the complex first time passing rates for the various DO schools? I am sure the USMLE rates would be even harder to find.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

AZCOM: 98% pass rate for first-time test-takers (source)

CCOM: 92% pass rate for first-time test-takers (source) (96% over the last 7 years. I think they changed their curriculum and saw a slight drop, but are correcting this.)

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Ive had a question regarding AZCOM for a while now, and no one has been able to answer it (or its just been ignored all together). I always hear about AZCOMs super high pass rate for the COMLEX, but a poster a while ago mentioned that they make their students take some sort of simulated practice COMLEX before they go for the real thing. He mentioned that if they dont pass that practice test, then they dont let the students sit for the real exam. Can anyone support or refute this claim? I have no idea waht to think either way. But if its true, then the first time passer rate is probably misleading, and I would be more interested in knowing what the pass rate is of that practice test.

5. Chocolate Bear

It doesn't really matter, because you have to pass to graduate. So if you are forced to make sure you can pass before you sit for the exam and potentially fail (somewhat wrecking your residency app, I imagine), then I don't see why you wouldn't want to take a diagnostic. You wouldn't sit for the MCAT before taking a diagnostic. If you did, you certainly couldn't blame your undergrad school when you score a 17J.

6. cliquesh

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    AZCOM, as well as other schools, prescreen for the comlex, which, in my opinion, is a good thing. So, yea, the scores may be deceptive, but who cares as long as you pass.

Also, when I was at AZCOM for an interview, they showed us a chart of the first time pass rates for each school, and they all are pretty high. However, there are few with low-mid 80 pass rates, like VCOM.

*VCOM's first class did bad on the COMLEX but they fixed it now. I think last year's class had a 90%+ pass rate.

I got a question, though. Is the COMLEX scored in such a way that a certain amount of people fail?

7. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is not a cut and dried question. There are some schools that test the students beforehand and only allow the ones they are reasonably sure will pass to take the exam - thus artificially inflating their pass rates. So a school that may say they have a 99 or 100% first time pass rate may only allow 80% of their students to take the exam. Not truthful statistics, IMHO.

8. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thats true and probably a good idea. Being said I think Rysser's point is that it is deceptive to look at their first time pass rates compared to other schools who don't prescreen before taking the real thing for first time through.

9. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    During the tour for AZCOM, the 2nd year that showed us around confirmed there is a prescreen, so yes, it does contribute to the scores.

I believe they are implementing an actual course for the COMLEX this time, but that's still not confirmed. This was more speculation by the students.

10. Chocolate Bear

Yeah, I get that. My point is just that I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather be at a school that pre screens and passes 98% than a school that uses "honest" statistics and I could potentially be one of the 20% or so that fails that first attempt.

Basically, I'm saying that PROBABLY almost everyone passes eventually at most/all schools (though I don't have all the numbers to back this up). If that assumption is correct, then I'd personally pick a pre screening school over one that doesn't do this (all else being equal, of course).

11. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I dont really think you can compare MCAT to USMLE/COMLEX. Undergrads dont use their pre med's average MCAT score as a recruiting tool. Ive never heard a school say "Our pre med curriculum is great. Look, our average MCAT is 34!" They dont do that for a number of reasons.....there are A LOT more students, not everyone takes the pre reqs at that institution, students often transfer and end up at more than one school, do post bacs, and there are often multiple options for courses at each school so even the students at the same institution have taken different pathways to finishing pre reqs etc. etc.

In contrast, a common recruiting tool and/or question by future students is "Whats the average USMLE/COMLEX." Its a legitimate question because 1) schools keep track of it and 2) it does reflect to some extent how well that school prepared its students for the boards because EVERY student is taking the same courses, from the same professors, and taking the same tests, no exceptions. Obviously, it also depends on the individual motivation of the students themselves, i'm not saying that it doesnt, but I think the USMLE definitely speaks more of the medical school then the MCAT does of an undergraduate school.

Obviously you have to pass to graduate, but I still think it matters. Part of the reason to boast of a high USMLE/COMLEX pass rate is that you can say "Look, the education our students receive is superb. Dont belive us? Our first time pass rate is 98% (which really is impressive)." Now lets say the pass rate of that practice COMLEX is like 85%......not as impressive, right? But no one sees that, because the school doesnt allow those 15% to take the test and therefore, the pass rate on the real deal (and their bragging rights) is A LOT higher. The school is then being deceptive and the prospective students are being shown statistics that dont tell the whole story.

I'm not trying to personally attack AZCOM, I have nothing against them. Obviously their students are graduating and becoming great physicians or else the institution would probably not be there. But I think its a legitimate question. And if any other schools do this (and I still dont konw if its true that AZCOM does it) I think it would be fair for them to disclose the practice test pass rates too. And hey, what if the pass rate for the practice test is like 97%? Well then great! I'd still like to know. I think its great that AZCOM makes their students take practice tests and I'm not saying that they shouldnt, I'm just curious to see what the pass rate is of that test, as I would be curious for any other school that does that (i only bring up azcom b/c thats the only school that someone has brought up on another post).

12. aterry

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone have information about the rates on both for NSU? I know they are all high but I very interested in knowing if there is a prep course at NSU also. Thanks and hey if you are worried about going to the school that pre-screens, then at least you get a heads up before you take the test and may be able to save yourself a bad score and fix your mistakes. If you are concerned already about board pass rate percentages, chances are you are on top of things and will do great on your boards!

13. rajaholick

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
  14. andexterouss

5+ Year Member

Good post. Pre-screens are great tools but they are also double-swords. They help prevent students from entering actual catastrophe but it may also denote a lack of confidence on the part of the administration for the curriculum. The same tool is employed in Carib schools leading inflated pass rates even though only 50% of the class might be eligible to take it.Hence, the deception in their marketing.

If DO schools wanna do the same, then fine. But release both results so that students can decide.:thumbup:

15. Chocolate Bear

If anyone is curious how a school's pre screen works, I'd encourage them to call the schools they're interested in.

In a previous thread on the subject, I remember reading that several other high passing rate schools pre screen. Who knows how many actually do this. I'd love to see a complete list of who participates in this practice. This seems like a very responsible practice that helps to ensure high performing students and successful graduating classes.

A side effect of this practice may be an inflated first-time pass rate %, but the end result for myself, as a future graduate, is that I won't have a big fat X on my residency app under "Did student ever fail the COMLEX" (or the metaphorical equivalent).

That's really all I care about.

16. Cp22kjer

Cp22kjer Bottom of the Food Chain
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    #15 Cp22kjer, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  17. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lecom-B doesn't stop anyone from taking it. If you pass all your classes, you can take it. If you have less than a 75 average, though, they make you spend a week in mandatory board review before taking it. The last two classes have had a 97% first time pass rate and 100% total.

They do give practice tests after exams are over, but they are diagnostic-- to show you where your strengths and weaknesses lie, so that you can study more effectively.

18. linkDO

linkDO is in v-fib
    2+ Year Member

In the interview day I talked to Dr Whitehead and he said they do have a board prep course (Kaplan maybe?) and that each year they've been expanding it to have more resources available for the students. Including an interactive website to learn at your pace as well as a teacher that comes in for a week of lectures and questions.

19. rightfooted

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone have information about whether there is a prep course or a pre-screening for NYCOM and what the pass rates are? I can call the school otherwise and find out.