comlex step II PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got the email from nbome asking to resister for Level II PE in Philadelphia (?). So, we all have to travel to Philadelphia to take the PE? I was not aware of this requirement. Do students usually take it way before taking the CE? Sorry if this should have been obvious but currently I am sitting on an island away from my school doing my year long rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you have to go to PA to take the PE. I took it in March of my third year, well before I took the CE. The dates fill very quickly so you should schedule it far in advance.

I am taking PE at the beginning of April right after my vacation month. I'll take CE in June

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking about this the other day because a 4th year warned me that the dates fill up very quickly. Is there a way to see what dates are available before paying? I really need to do it before August as I'm planning to live overseas for a year. Thanks for the help!

I was just thinking about this the other day because a 4th year warned me that the dates fill up very quickly. Is there a way to see what dates are available before paying? I really need to do it before August as I'm planning to live overseas for a year. Thanks for the help!

Yea if you go on the NBOME website where you log in to pay for the text, it has a link to look at available test dates without having to pay

And get the earliest date that you can --- I took my schools advice - which was to get it done by December of 4th year so the results would be in by graduation with time to retake if a failure occurred....Great idea for graduation...but some residencies will ask if you've passed the PE....which tells me that it may affect your ranking in their match list....

And get the earliest date that you can --- I took my schools advice - which was to get it done by December of 4th year so the results would be in by graduation with time to retake if a failure occurred....Great idea for graduation...but some residencies will ask if you've passed the PE....which tells me that it may affect your ranking in their match list....

Very good advice. I strongly urge this be done as well. It's a pain in the @ $$ no matter when you take it and it only gets worse the more you delay.Take it from someone who did have to take it twice.

Disclaimer though: I am a devout COMLEX II PE abolitionist. This test, in my personal opinion, serves zero academic benefit.

Very good advice. I strongly urge this be done as well. It's a pain in the @ $$ no matter when you take it and it only gets worse the more you delay.Take it from someone who did have to take it twice.

Disclaimer though: I am a devout COMLEX II PE abolitionist. This test, in my personal opinion, serves zero academic benefit.

Of course it is of NO academic benefit it serves the needs of the state licensing board bean counters who felt the need to have licensing candidate demonstrate proficiency in speaking the english language and being able to put the stethoscope in the right spot.

We just sign up for one AM or PM session right? I thought there's 12 SP to see. Shouldn't it take almost the entire day (both AM and PM sessions) to complete that?

We just sign up for one AM or PM session right? I thought there's 12 SP to see. Shouldn't it take almost the entire day (both AM and PM sessions) to complete that?

Ummm, no....you've got about 15 minutes per patient in the real world and need to be able to move....the biggest change from med student to intern to resident is learning what's important to rule out what....otherwise known as 'red flags'....Start thinking that way now and you'll be a step up...

Hi all,
I just got the email from nbome asking to resister for Level II PE in Philadelphia (?). So, we all have to travel to Philadelphia to take the PE? I was not aware of this requirement. Do students usually take it way before taking the CE? Sorry if this should have been obvious but currently I am sitting on an island away from my school doing my year long rotations.

Are you one of the students at that new school with rotations on Oahu? I forget which school had that arrangement.

And yes, only in Philly. Take it way early, too, because it's hard to get a seat and they seem to enjoy failing people haphazardly. Watch the demonstration video on the NBOME website and plan to do each encounter EXACTLY they way it is demonstrated. The test is less about how you diagnose stuff and more about your procedure and interaction with the SPs. There is some OMT, but the OMT cases are blatantly obvious and it isn't necessary to do OMT on everyone. Pick a simple technique that can be applied broadly.

I think the whole thing was about half a day. I walked out of the test and immediately drove back to South Carolina; it was daylight when I left, so probably about 6 hours total. If I remember right, do you 6 encounters, have a lunch break, then the other 6?

Last edited: