Commitee Letter or No Committee Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarity16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know this is a much-posted about theme, but thought I'd ask in hopes of getting specific feedback. As a non-traditional student with a sub-par GPA not on a medical track, the Pre-Med advising office has shown zero interest in me. The people I've spoken to there have been casually patronizing and weirdly passive aggressive. Plus, the pre-med advisor has an unfortunate reputation amongst even traditional students whom I consider to have good CV's. It doesn't help that I have witnessed some behavior that seemed to be rude/arrogant on his part toward faculty in my department. I have avoided the pre-med office as a result, but want to apply to schools that require a committee letter. Do I :

a.) Graduate,then take classes to improve my GPA, putting myself outside the scope of the committee letter?

b.) Take all extra GPA-boosting classes before graduating, and try super hard to enlist the help of the pre-med department, despite the fact that they could easily produce a committee letter that won't be as stellar as my LOR's?

How bad is it to apply with LOR's instead of a committee letter? Hoping to hear from some of you with varied experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a committee letter at all. 2 sci and sometimes 1 nonscience professor is typically required if you don't have one. That said you do need a good c and sgpa. Take or retake required courses in whatever way is easiest for you. Lots of threads on that. DO is retake friendly with grade replacement where MD avgs all in.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Many schools do not offer committee letters, so while a medical school may have a preference for it, you should be alright with the letters DrMikeP outlined above. Regardless, it is much better to have strong individual letters than a mediocre or even hostile committee letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools do not offer committee letters, so while a medical school may have a preference for it, you should be alright with the letters DrMikeP outlined above. Regardless, it is much better to have strong individual letters than a mediocre or even hostile committee letter.
Thank you, DrMikeP and GreenDuck12. I will try a last time to feel out the pre-health office. The fact that it feels almost like I am antagonizing them by asking for input makes me feel that little good can come of it, and I'd hate to waste time on anything I don't need (or end up with something I don't want.). However, I also want to comply with stated requirements where possible.

Smart move. Just out of curiosity, would it be possible for you to talk to other faculty/officers that are involved in the committee letter process?

Thank you, DrMikeP and GreenDuck12. I will try a last time to feel out the pre-health office. The fact that it feels almost like I am antagonizing them by asking for input makes me feel that little good can come of it, and I'd hate to waste time on anything I don't need (or end up with something I don't want.). However, I also want to comply with stated requirements where possible.