Common length of pre-pharm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goheh

(Instrumental Remix)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the answer to this is posted somewhere, but I am a n00b and don't know how to fully navigate these forums all too well yet.

For those who haven't completed a bachelor's degree, I am wondering what the common length of undergraduate time one spends before transferring to pharmacy school.

Looking over shared prerequisites for pharmacy schools, I'll be spending at least three years from the way my school has its credits designated (calculus AND general chemistry courses a whoopin' 5 credits each!)

Also, is it suggested (does it give you an edge) to have a bachelor's degree before pursuing pharmacy school? I know they will let you in with all the prereqs completed, but I am wondering if the admission folk place special consideration on the ones who hold degrees.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a wonderful starting place: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=139936

;)

As to how long pre-pharmacy lasts, it all depends on the person. My pre-pharmacy has lasted 8 years. :laugh: However, I went to school full-time for a year, part-time for a year, took two years off, and then full-time for 3 years (including summers). I've also worked full-time for the last 6 years, too, so that limited the amount of classes that I could successfully manage.

Pre-pharm has taken me 2 years to complete (I don't know if it matters or not, but I'm junior even though I'm in my 4th semester of college because I've taken a lot of credits.. but if you do pre-reqs and *only* pre-reqs, I believe you can be a second-semester sophomore at the end of your 2nd year in college and have everything done.) It's a heavy courseload to do in 2 years, especially if you want to minor in something (which you can't do at WVU... I discovered that after completing spanish up through 204 *grr*) but it's certainly doable if you can fully commit yourself to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i tried to complete the specific pre-req's in 2 years but due to course offering limitations it's taken me 3.

(3 yr undergrad theology major + 3 years doing pre-req's = 6 years! yuck)

my situation was a little different...
in high school a lot of dual enrollment at a local college so i got some stuff out of the way.

i also took classes every summer
by the time i finished in 2 years i was classified as a senior and could have had a degree in another year.

so prereqs took 2 years

I just got my acceptance letter and will start in August. Last January, I didn't have a single college credit. Got 67 credit hours done in the calendar year (Jan. to Jan.) and only have 3 classes right now and will take one over the summer to finish up. I worked 45 hours plus for the first 7 months as well. It was crazy, but I'll have it all done in basically 1.5 years.