Community college GPA vs 4 year GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bababa_banana

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

2 years ago I transferred from a community college to a UC college. My community college GPA was 4.0 and my UC GPA is currently a 3.85. I am about to graduate with a BS in Biology and I wanted to know if the fact that my UC GPA is lower than my CC GPA will affect my chances of being accepted into medical school.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it is relatively obvious that admission committees evaluate the difficulty of courses at whichever institution you choose to attend.

This is a very common question among CC students. I will say that I am a North Carolina Community College Student at the moment.

I have talked to members of the admissions committees from both UNC Medical school and Duke University Med and they all tell me the same thing.

There is a vast difference between getting a C in a community college and a C at a 4 year institution. That doesn't necessarily mean that your A's are

worthless, but it is believed that A's at a 4 years institution come with a lot more challenge.

(****Your community college education is NOT worthless*****)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

2 years ago I transferred from a community college to a UC college. My community college GPA was 4.0 and my UC GPA is currently a 3.85. I am about to graduate with a BS in Biology and I wanted to know if the fact that my UC GPA is lower than my CC GPA will affect my chances of being accepted into medical school.

Thank you!

If the difference was greater than 0.3 that might raise some eyebrows. In your case I'd say you're fine.

For the numbers you're quoting, No, the difference won't affect your chances.