Community college prereqs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1077394
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 1077394

Would it be harmful for me to graduate and then take O-Chem II and Biochem at my local community college after graduation? All other prereqs were taken at a university plus about 18 credits of upper-level Bio. My rationale for this is that it's cheaper at CC and offered in the evening and weekend which is also better financially because I could go full-time for work.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be harmful for me to graduate and then take O-Chem II and Biochem at my local community college after graduation? All other prereqs were taken at a university plus about 18 credits of upper-level Bio. My rationale for this is that it's cheaper at CC and offered in the evening and weekend which is also better financially because I could go full-time for work.

Thanks!
Would it be harmful? The question will arise how you managed to take 120+ credits at a university, but couldn't manage to fit in orgo 2 and biochem before graduating. You are undoubtedly aware of why med schools don't like CC prereqs (otherwise you probably would be asking :)), so why do you think your otherwise good reasons for taking them post-bacc at a CC would mitigate them?

Ultimately you need to do what works best for you, but, yeah, it will be harmful when you are compared to literally thousands of applicants at every school you apply to who managed to take these classes at their degree granting institution. Will it be fatal? Who knows?

That's a good point. Thank you for your reply, @KnightDoc . I am just trying to explore all of my options while figuring out what to do financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good point. Thank you for your reply, @KnightDoc . I am just trying to explore all of my options while figuring out what to do financially.
Definitely try to fit the classes in before graduating, if you haven't yet. Doing what you are thinking about doing won't be fatal, but will limit your options at some schools.

Agreed. If you're still taking classes then it does look very suspicious to take only these hard prereqs at a community college. it would be different if say you started at a community college for 2 years and got an associate or have graduated already and are just going back as a change of career. Or even if you took all your classes this year at a community college because of COVID.

If you end up going and doing it, just make sure you have an explanation why. And make sure to crush the classes. Would be highly suspicious to get a C or something in a community college prereq several years into a higher University.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users