Community Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted705698

This year's match didn't go the way that I had hoped. I matched into a no-name community residency program for Radiology. I know I shouldn't complain because I'm lucky that I matched at all, but I can't shake the feeling that I've really ruined my future. I'm afraid that my job prospects will be seriously limited. I guess my question is: Do I have a chance at getting a good job post-residency, or will I be stuck picking from the bottom of the barrel? Also, is there any hope that I can return to academics? I know that everyone generally has good fellowship matches, but what about afterwards? I was initially interested in IR, but knowing how competitive it is I feel that I won't have a chance to match into the fellowship. Especially given that my current program doesn't really have much IR experience.

Members don't see this ad.

This year's match didn't go the way that I had hoped. I matched into a no-name community residency program for Radiology. I know I shouldn't complain because I'm lucky that I matched at all, but I can't shake the feeling that I've really ruined my future. I'm afraid that my job prospects will be seriously limited. I guess my question is: Do I have a chance at getting a good job post-residency, or will I be stuck picking from the bottom of the barrel? Also, is there any hope that I can return to academics? I know that everyone generally has good fellowship matches, but what about afterwards? I was initially interested in IR, but knowing how competitive it is I feel that I won't have a chance to match into the fellowship. Especially given that my current program doesn't really have much IR experience.

Depends how picky you are about the job. If you read and work hard, it’ll get you good recommendations for work. Alternatively, you could apply to ESIR at other institutions or even transfer. Things happen, and random spots open up, even at good programs. The worst thing you could do is a carry a chip and be unpleasant to work with.

All is not lost. Mortality rates are likely similar to ivory tower grads and community grads. Much like all things in life, it’s what you put into it.

To OP, not too worried. I matched into community program about 15 years ago, during the most competitive time of radiology, with a Step Board score of 240.I blamed on poor planning, last minute change of career, last minute change of location of choice...I finished my training with fellowship at good academic place.

In the end, your extra effort in getting things accomplished is needed, but will more than make up for the presumed disadvantage in the community program. In the past 15 years, my observation is the following:

1. If all you want to do is academics, then you will need to match into a high power fellowship. This will open all doors for your academic career even if you are from a community program. I cannot speak for IR as I am DR but a good performance during my fellowship resulted in a job offer at the institution. I gratefully declined.

2. If you want to do PP, you have plenty of time and opportunities to train your skills to the need of PP. A well rounded radiologist with fellowship and good reference will carry you far. You will be surprised, in private practice when proficiency in many areas are very critical as an radiologist, whether fellowship trained or not, is expected to be well rounded in all areas, even in areas you did not go into fellowship for.

I have had one job in PP since finishing my fellowship. My partners and associates are from the most well known places in the countries. We have mutual respects for our skills and I can tell you that referring physicians only care who can help them taking care of their patients, not whose diploma are prettier.

Don't be discouraged. The next four/five years are most critical to the rest of your professional life. Like TCOM12 mentioned above, don't carry a chip on your shoulder. Also, you will be amazed how small the world of radiology is and how far the news travel, good or bad.

Reactions: 1 user