Commute Times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schnell8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious to see how long students are commuting..Theres an apartment my gf and i are moving into that is 35 minutes from my school. Shes 25 minutes from her main job so its about as centrally located as we could get. Plus she is taking on a second job as the apartment manager with our new apartment which cuts the cost in half for our rent which was extremely fortunate for us...I still worry about the commute though because I have heard warning not to commute too far...just wanted to hear your thoughts on commuting times...

Members don't see this ad.

Dude I'll be going to flint too and my commute will be 40 minutes. I'm not really worried about it. It's just what you have to do. Yeah we have to wake up a little earlier but it's doable :)

My girlfriend and I are in the exact same situation. It is honestly not bad, since one person is not driving significantly longer than the other. One word of advice, the stress comes from traffic and running late not the commute itself, so, make sure you leave well in advance and 35 minutes is really not bad. Also, podcasts and books on tape make my commute much more enjoyable.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 35 minute commute is not bad at all. If I get into St. Augustine here in Austin, it will probably be about that. Gotta do what you gotta do

Completely off-topic, but I was wondering if you had heard anything from UM Flint since you paid your deposit?

I commuted about 25 mins to undergrad and let's just say I am going to be living right across the street from my grad school lol. Traffic here in Phoenix, AZ is getting worse and worse and it's at a standstill most mornings, so it stressed me out every single day. Never again.

I commute <10 minutes each way but this is in a small city. If you're lucky you'll live near public transportation. Keep your commute as short as possible. Live where you can afford, of course. If you forget something, you can go home during lunch to get it. Commuting is wasted time. If the commute is long but fast, then it could be an opportunity to decompress and listen to music.

Kein

I wish I were that lucky-- a 35 minute commute is not unusual really-- that's what I do right now (i'm in grad school, & the majority of people's commutes are about that long, +/- 15min; the lucky ones live 5 or 10 min away, but it's funny that it's often the ones who live really close who waltz in to class late everyday lol)-- when I start PT school this year, google says I'm looking at a 1 hr drive!... it'll be longer in morning traffic I'm sure. I'm actually considering the train-- I'd have to wake up early but at least I could save a little gas $ and study on the way so I'm not wasting valuable study time.

Completely off-topic, but I was wondering if you had heard anything from UM Flint since you paid your deposit?

I got my login info to the servers for blackboard and email a week after paying my deposit just FYI

I will be commuting about an hour to school. I haven't done the ride during the morning commute though, but hopefully since I am going away from the city it won't be too bad.

My first two years I commuted (freeway driving) 40 minutes each direction 5 days (occasionally only 4) a week. It was a grind but like someone else said, you do what you gotta do. I'll be doing full time clinicals now in my third year and each site is no more than 15 minutes away..... thankfully!

Jeez! And i thought my commute was close with a 50 minute drive. But it's only 3 days a week.

Having a short commute time is good and the idea that in case you forget something at home you could just quickly go back home and get it is good but I don't think there's ever been an incident like that with me throughout my college years. I can't remember a time I had to drive back home from school to get something I forgot. So it seems like a good idea but I probably won't need it. If it's important I won't forget it at home. I usually bring more than I need where I'm going.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone! It does make me feel a bit better!!

I got my login info to the servers for blackboard and email a week after paying my deposit just FYI

Yeah, same here. I got an acceptance letter in the mail too with a checklist of what you should do. On that checklist it said to contact your advisor and it gave the number for our PT advisor. However, she pretty much just told me that theres nothing going on right now...lol Just keep checking your email and get your UM email set up and stuff for now...I wish I knew more myself...although I did hear we get a laptop preloaded with stuff that we will need for the next three years!

Anyways, my drive is going to be from Perry, MI...so its pure highway all the way...haha I'll be listening to Bob and Tom every morning! :-D

Thank you for this thread! I've been feeling guilty for turning down one of my top choices, and the primary reason I did so was the commute time (~2 hours). I mean, I wouldn't have been driving; I'd have taken public transportation, but as a commuter for undergrad, I know it can be exhausting, and I'd have more transfers on the train to worry about (plus other factors). Knowing that the average commute time is significantly shorter than 2 hours makes me feel better about my decision. :)

Thank you for this thread! I've been feeling guilty for turning down one of my top choices, and the primary reason I did so was the commute time (~2 hours). I mean, I wouldn't have been driving; I'd have taken public transportation, but as a commuter for undergrad, I know it can be exhausting, and I'd have more transfers on the train to worry about (plus other factors). Knowing that the average commute time is significantly shorter than 2 hours makes me feel better about my decision. :)

holy **** I would never do a two hour commute lol...would that have been one way? Public transportation is rarely reliable.

Haha YES, one way! I agreee, I know from experience that public transportation is not something I want to deal with on a near-daily basis! It's something I do now, but my current commute is only around an hour, give or take.

Haha YES, one way! I agreee, I know from experience that public transportation is not something I want to deal with on a near-daily basis! It's something I do now, but my current commute is only around an hour, give or take.

Words can't describe how much I would hate my life if I had a two hour one-way commute lol :bang::diebanana:

Words can't describe how much I would hate my life if I had a two hour one-way commute lol :bang::diebanana:

Lol, thanks, your reaction was pretty much what I needed to assure myself I wasn't crazy for passing up that program. I thought maybe I was being weak for not wanting to deal with the commute and just needed to suck it up, but honestly, if it makes my life significantly more hectic, it could adversely affect the time and energy I'm able to put into the program.

Lol, thanks, your reaction was pretty much what I needed to assure myself I wasn't crazy for passing up that program. I thought maybe I was being weak for not wanting to deal with the commute and just needed to suck it up, but honestly, if it makes my life significantly more hectic, it could adversely affect the time and energy I'm able to put into the program.

Definitely. Idk about you but I'd be a wreck on exam days using public transportation.

I am commuting about 20 to 25 minutes and not worried about it too much. Just leave with enough time to get there.

I'm about a 40 minute drive from my campus. I plan on moving sometime next year though.