COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Junkster said:
Checking in from my 2 week vacation in Korea. :)

Anyone get the full schedule for 06~07 yet?

I've only seen the schedule for 2005-2006. Not sure where ours is.

Members don't see this ad.

wazzudoc said:
I've only seen the schedule for 2005-2006. Not sure where ours is.
I don't think they come out until late July or early August. I say this because another email I had received last year was the class schedule (with exam dates, etc) and I got it sometime August 2005. I also noticed the academic calender starts in August, so we may get it right before. Just speculation. :)

Anybody commuting from the Glendale/Burbank Area? I'm looking for carpool buddies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome.

Its been dead around here!

I just settled my last work day with my boss: June 30. That leaves me one month R&R, and its going to be GREAT!

I've been looking for a room and have found several good leads, just have to choose one. I hate making decisions.

cyclohexanol said:
I'm going to COMP!!! Class of 2010

Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone, see you in the fall!

Congrats, see you in a couple months

Khenon said:
I don't think they come out until late July or early August. I say this because another email I had received last year was the class schedule (with exam dates, etc) and I got it sometime August 2005. I also noticed the academic calender starts in August, so we may get it right before. Just speculation. :)

i think i found the calendar for COMP for 2006-2007..check it out everyone

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/comp/calendar.xml

hope that helps.

Red Beard said:
There's got to be a typo in there...it says the last day of Spring semester is July 9th! We only get financial aid for a ten month academic year, which should end on June 9th.

Good call, I was worried about that in terms of planning summer activities such as research. How could you get an internship if you don't get out of school until the middle of summer?

:eek:
Positive PPD test *DOH!*
grrrr... now I have to pay for an X-ray that I can't afford.

oh, and yes. the 1st years have their last exams on Monday, so you should be able to enjoy one last summer before all life ends.... :rolleyes:

Hello,

I'm new here even thought I've been accepted to COMP since November. :) It was my #1 choice school and luckily my first interview so I didn't have to spend crazy amount of money flying all over the country for interviews.

A bit about me...UCLA undergrad and a huge music and movies fan. I should really find some outdoor hobbies, no? And no, I don't really slay cows. I actually really love animals. All animals except for horses. They are the evil spawns of Satan and good only for dog food and school glue (j/k, mostly. I had a very bad experience recently but I'm working on regaining my trust in equine critters). :D

In any case, my question is more social than anything in nature and perhaps aimed more at those who already have some experience with COMP; I was wondering how liberal the atmosphere on campus is. I loved UCLA's diversity and intermixing of people of all sorts of beliefs and lifestyles. I know the atmosphere at COMP is very friendly but I was wondering if anyone coming from pretty liberal schools, especially in CA, had any thoughts.

cowslayer said:
Hello,

I'm new here even thought I've been accepted to COMP since November. :) It was my #1 choice school and luckily my first interview so I didn't have to spend crazy amount of money flying all over the country for interviews.

A bit about me...UCLA undergrad and a huge music and movies fan. I should really find some outdoor hobbies, no? And no, I don't really slay cows. I actually really love animals. All animals except for horses. They are the evil spawns of Satan and good only for dog food and school glue (j/k, mostly. I had a very bad experience recently but I'm working on regaining my trust in equine critters). :D

In any case, my question is more social than anything in nature and perhaps aimed more at those who already have some experience with COMP; I was wondering how liberal the atmosphere on campus is. I loved UCLA's diversity and intermixing of people of all sorts of beliefs and lifestyles. I know the atmosphere at COMP is very friendly but I was wondering if anyone coming from pretty liberal schools, especially in CA, had any thoughts.

congrats on your acceptance. i just graduated from pitzer college in claremont, CA...yes, probably one of the most liberal schools in the NATION. COMP is nothing along those lines; however, from all my shadowing experience at the medical center and all my conversations with my contacts at COMP, i feel as if it is definitely quite liberal. people are not only friendly, but they are usually open to discussion about any topic whatever it may be. good luck at COMP.

First of all, grats to all of you who were accepted to COMP! I need some of your wisdom. I was looking at the secondary for the 2010 year and I am assuming that this will be the same as the 2011 cycle...(right?)....anyways...I am pretty concerned since I don't have much experience in a medically or economically disadvantaged community. I have been in a soup kitchen and some food depositories, but thats about it. Should I get something done this month or should I just expand on my limited experience? Thanks....any other advice would be appreciated:) Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey does anyone know when we need to get everything completed by? ie physical, shots, etc. thanks :)

truckibear said:
hey does anyone know when we need to get everything completed by? ie physical, shots, etc. thanks :)

The sooner the better, I heard that sometime during orientation week they will have a shot table or booth where you can get some of the vaccines you may be missing. You might want to check with the admissions but you might have to complete some of the paperwork to receive financial aid.

truckibear said:
According to a letter I got from the school outlining dates of various things going on for DO 2010, the physical exam form, vaccinations and official transcripts all need to be turned in by July 1st or you won't be allowed to register. Registration for DO 2010 is during the month of July. I'm sure there's some flexibility there. Call the admin office if you're going to have trouble meeting the July 1 deadline. I'm guessing they'll work with you.

I had a question for everyone, and if you don't mind, I would like to revisit the health insurance issue. I know earlier on the thread someone listed blue shield/cross as having cheap plans. I looked into it and the deductibles on those plans was pretty expensive ($3,000-$8,000). The deductible of the school plan was only $150.00 but the plan is a little more expensive, when you work out the monthly payments. For myself, spouse, and kid it's a little over 200 a month, but the low deductible was the reason I chose this coverage. However, it does not provide dental. Anybody have ideas for dental coverage? USC has a dental school do they provide free cleanings so their students can practice? I'd rather do that then pay extra for dental insurance. Hec if I had one of those little metal tools I could scrape my own teeth : ) and only go to the dentist if I have cavities.

wazzudoc said:
I had a question for everyone, and if you don't mind, I would like to revisit the health insurance issue. I know earlier on the thread someone listed blue shield/cross as having cheap plans. I looked into it and the deductibles on those plans was pretty expensive ($3,000-$8,000). The deductible of the school plan was only $150.00 but the plan is a little more expensive, when you work out the monthly payments. For myself, spouse, and kid it's a little over 200 a month, but the low deductible was the reason I chose this coverage. However, it does not provide dental. Anybody have ideas for dental coverage? USC has a dental school do they provide free cleanings so their students can practice? I'd rather do that then pay extra for dental insurance. Hec if I had one of those little metal tools I could scrape my own teeth : ) and only go to the dentist if I have cavities.

Good question...don't know the answer, but :D

Here's another question:

Do you remember if they increase our budget to buy the school policy?

Red Beard said:
Good question...don't know the answer, but :D

Here's another question:

Do you remember if they increase our budget to buy the school policy?

I don't think they do, in fact they encourage you to shop around with Blue Cross, Kaiser Permanente, NealthNet, PacifiCare, Aetna US healthcare, and United Healthcare. I only looked at blue cross but the deductibles were too high. It can be deceiving because the monthly payment is cheaper then the school plan for my situation (spouse/dependant), but I would have to shell out a lot before the cheap plan would kick in. the insurance companies must give some sort of deal to companies/universities for their employees/students, where they benefit from having a high number of enrollees. I forgot to mention the school plan also has a $20.00 co-pay when you visit the doc. It's still a better deal.

wazzudoc said:
I don't think they do, in fact they encourage you to shop around with Blue Cross, Kaiser Permanente, NealthNet, PacifiCare, Aetna US healthcare, and United Healthcare. I only looked at blue cross but the deductibles were too high. It can be deceiving because the monthly payment is cheaper then the school plan for my situation (spouse/dependant), but I would have to shell out a lot before the cheap plan would kick in. the insurance companies must give some sort of deal to companies/universities for their employees/students, where they benefit from having a high number of enrollees. I forgot to mention the school plan also has a $20.00 co-pay when you visit the doc. It's still a better deal.

I ended up calling the financial aid office today for something else, and asked about the health insurance deal. They will increase your loan amount to cover the school insurance policy if you request it.

Red Beard said:
I ended up calling the financial aid office today for something else, and asked about the health insurance deal. They will increase your loan amount to cover the school insurance policy if you request it.

I guess I'll call them up tommorow.

Red Beard said:

Thanks for the info. We've almost figured everything out (or atleast think we have) just need to get started with classes :)

I just got my physical... just need my ppd on monday next week, and I think I got all things covered.

I think.

cowslayer said:
Hello,

One of the drawbacks of COMP is that it doesn't have as much of a campus. There is no undergraduate college to latch onto. COMP doesn't get flow speakers that a major university will get. I'm sure that there will be many different beliefs and lifestyles on campus, but I don't think that they will be as heavily discussed as on UCLA's campus.

Well, I think this is my first post here. Hi! I might see you guys this August.

cowslayer said:

I can only speak for my class, but I think we were pretty typical of what you'll find at COMP. We had a very diverse class with a wide range of beliefs, backgrounds, etc. I think the mean age for our entering class was about 25, but we definately had those who were older and younger. Lots of different religious backgrounds (from very to none), different ethnicities, people from lots of different walks of life. I think since the majority of my class was from California, our demographics pretty well matched what you find in Cali. Enjoy your time together as a class-- it's a crazy 4 years but doable and (in the end) very worth it.

wazzudoc said:
Sorry, forgot to answer this one, if you read the information sheet, the list "osteopathic physicians and surgeons" towards the bottom of the first page of the info sheet. I guess i'm kinda making an inference on them allowing you to practice any specialty. But if you were a GI doctor and 40% of your patients were medicare I don't think they would mind. Read the sheet and tell me if you agree. I could be making too big an inference.

WICHE:
I will be getting a WICHE slot starting 2006-2007 (WA) - and in the contract I signed, I have to go into Primary care - FP, IM, Peds are the only ones I remember. I'm pretty sure Psych and EM were not included, but I'd have to find the contract buried in my huge "to be filed" pile. The requirements may have changed for the next round of applications, though, I have no idea. FYI: residency counts toward your committment, as long as it's a high-need site (like Yakima) - that's something they don't like to tell you :).

SCHEDULE:
You won't get a final class schedule until much closer to the start of school... but I've attached last year's MSI schedule. DO2009 was the first class on the new curriculum, and I believe the schedule will be pretty similiar. Should give you an idea, anyway. The schedule is adjusted almost every week, and this is a copy I found from September - yellow boxes just mean that that was a change from the previous schedule, and "blocked" chunks just mean our classroom was reserved for us to study in even though there weren't lectures during that time

BOOKS:
After your "Intro to Medicine" class, the First REAL class you'll have is Gross Anatomy. You MUST buy a Netter's Atlas (get it free with SOMA membership) and a disecting kit, and some gloves (nitrile lets less smell through to your skin... available online and at some Walgreens). Do NOT bother buying the recommended dissector - there are dozens & dozens of copies left by previous students available in the lab.

Here's my opinion: Don't bother buying ANY other books until you get to school. You won't have anything but Anatomy until around late Sept/October - by then you'll have had time to talk to the MS2's as see what they felt was useful, etc. I was one who just wanted to have my books, so I bought those off the required list - and used maybe 1 out of $300 worth. <sigh> I highly recommend just waiting until you get here! Remember that there are online resources for many things that can take the place of buying books (and our school has an account for some of the texts online).

END of Year:
You will get out early-ish June. The July 9th date is definitely a typo. This year, MSI's got out June 5th. The 1st & 2nd year used to be the same length, 19 weeks for spring semester, but they took 3 weeks from 2nd year and added it to 1st year to give more board study time... So the DO2008 took their finals the last week of April this year.

Attachments

• MS-I Fall 2005 master schedule (Rev. 9-26-05).pdf
    98.1 KB · Views: 123
Khenon said:

Hey, our calendar is up! And it looks like our last day is July 8th...so much for summer? ;)

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/comp/calendar.xml

I'm in the DO2009 class. Don't count on that date. It's the official last day of Spring semester but thats not the last day of classes. I think they gave you guys an extra week in this course that we were first to take (IDIT), making you guys get out around June 12ish.

I am having such a hard time finding a place to live! Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I have been looking online for the past three months and can't decide which area to live. I think I have narrowed it down to Claremont, which the apartments seem pretty expensive and not that nice, and Rancho Cucamongo, which the apartments seem really nice but the distance and price are bit steep! FYI, I am looking to live by myself. Anyone get lucky and find something or have some good ideas? Please let me know!

See ya guys in a few weeks!

I don't know what kind of outside funds you have, but living alone on our student budget will be pretty tight no matter where you live down there. I found a good roommate and place in Claremont on craigslist--inland empire. Check that out.

did you guys get the email about consolidating our loans already? Not exactly sure if I'm going to, atleast not through them and it depends on the interest rate. What exactly does consolidation mean? Does it mean all your loans are combined under one lender and so you only make one payment. I know consolidating usually results in a lower interest rate, but what's in it for the companies offering the consolidations. Just confused.

wazzudoc said:
did you guys get the email about consolidating our loans already? Not exactly sure if I'm going to, atleast not through them and it depends on the interest rate. What exactly does consolidation mean? Does it mean all your loans are combined under one lender and so you only make one payment. I know consolidating usually results in a lower interest rate, but what's in it for the companies offering the consolidations. Just confused.
You seem to have the gist of consolidating. Whatever students loans you currently have will get "consolidated" into one monthly payment (though they are typically still separated out as "subsidized" and "unsubsized" with the company). And yes, you get a lower FIXED interest rate. This is key. Not only is the interest rate lower, but it's also fixed. Most likely, if your loans are not consolidated then the interest rates are variable, and thus WILL increase come July. It really is in your best interest (no pun intended) to consolidate now. As far as "what's in it for the companies" . . . well they'd rather have your business at a lower interest rate, then not have your business at all. They know thousands of people will flock to them at the 4.75% rate, rather then pay the government loans at 6.75% (or higher). That's still millions of dollars for them. ;)

wazzudoc said:

Wait, I'm confused as well. Is that email talking about consolidating any student loans that we may have previous to Western, such as undergrad or graduate school, or the loans that we will be getting for attending COMP? We haven't even gotten our money, let alone started paying them back! Can anyone explain?

So, if I consolidate now, even though uwalum raises a good point, in that we haven't even received any funds yet, am I binded in the contract. What if I want to re-consolidate later? 4 years of medical school is a long time and the economy could change and we could be seeing consolidation interest rates at 2.0% (complete speculation). Can you just keep consolidating every year since you keep getting new loans to support yourself? Also what's up with the June 30th deadline? Hardly enough time to think it over

If you have any Stafford loans from undergrad, it would be in your best interest to consolidate those loans now in order to lock in the ~4.x% interest rate. The interest rate for Staffords after this year is set to increase to ~6%.

Prior to enering Western, I had consolidated my undergrad Stafford loans with Salllie Mae at 8.25%. I consolidated my Western loans for the past two years, and this year rolled my previously consolidated undergrad loans into a one, big, scary consolidation loan.

The biggest advantage to consolidation is to lock into a fixed interest rate rather than a variable rate loan, which is what the loan will continue to be if you do not consolidate.

It also keeps me sane not to have to keep track of multiple loans when I graduate.

There used to be a 'single lender rule' where if you borrowed from only one lender, you could not shop around and find the consolidation loan that offered the best perks. This should no longer be in effect in the next few months, so you can borrow from one company and consolidate with anyone you choose further down the line.

Another big thing is the Graduate Plus loan, which is a Federal loan that covers your cost over the Stafford sub and unsub limits. Having this amount covered under a Federal loan is HUGE considering that before the Graduate Plus loan one had to take out private loans at varying interest rates.

The other very big thing about Graduate Plus loans is that since they are Federal loans, you can consolidate them as well, unlike the private loans we all had to take out.

The disadvantage to consolidation is the loss of the 6 month grace period prior to entering repayment. Once consolidated, you technically go into immediate repayment at graduation. But many consolidation companies offer the grace period as part of their terms for the loan. You also have the option to enter a 'hardship' deferment during residency, so you have 3 years to enter repayment versus 3.5 years. This might be a factor in some longer residencies.

My advice, consolidate whatever you can now. This locks in the interest rate and affords you the ability to look around every year for the next consolidation loan. Every time you get another Federal loan you are eligible to reconsolidate.

So why consolidate now if you can consolidate every year? When you consolidate, the consolidation interest rate is determined by a weighted average of all of the interest rates and amount of each separate loan being consolidated.

For example, if you have $100,000 @ 4% and $100,000 @ 6% and consolidate them both, you end with a consolidated loan for the $200,000 @ 5%. So, by consolidating early with lower interest rates, you lower the overall interest rate you get when you consolidate at graduation.

I hope this wasn't too confusing, and anyone who has better info please shout out.

Hey all, just thought id let yall know that I got the mCAT score i needed to matriculate into western! ( i was in a linkage program with Pitzer College)..anyways, i am also COMP 2010 now! anyone starting the summer prep program on monday? also, i am in need of a roomate for helix still! so lemme know if u know anyone! thanks

kdkdshah said:
Hey all, just thought id let yall know that I got the mCAT score i needed to matriculate into western! ( i was in a linkage program with Pitzer College)..anyways, i am also COMP 2010 now! anyone starting the summer prep program on monday? also, i am in need of a roomate for helix still! so lemme know if u know anyone! thanks

Congrats, getting into medical school is no easy task. Glad to see someone else joining us. Are you living in the helix? We might be neighbors. I'm on the top floor, in a two bedroom apartment.

uwalum said:
Wait, I'm confused as well. Is that email talking about consolidating any student loans that we may have previous to Western, such as undergrad or graduate school, or the loans that we will be getting for attending COMP? We haven't even gotten our money, let alone started paying them back! Can anyone explain?

You can't consolidate loans for 2006-2007 year (because we haven't gotten them yet!) Western is just sending out a mass email to everyone, reminding them to consolidate any pre-existing federal loans before June 30th.

On July 1st, the interest rate for ALL Stafford loans are fixed at 6.75% (thank you Prez. Bush). It is in your best interest to consolidate any old loans. As long as you have applied by June 30th, you'll get the lower rate (3-4%). It'll take about 6-8 weeks to process, and by that time, you will be in deferrment, since we start school in August. You will be able to reconsolidate your med school loans after we graduate, if you so choose. the nice thing about this is that you only have to make one (large) check out each month, instead of hassling with multiple lenders.

I consolidated all my grad school loans in June 2005, and I locked in a 2.9% rate. you can only imagine how THRILLED I am to see how freakin' high the rates will be now... :rolleyes:

Anyone know how they are going to "credit" my 2K deposit?
Are we allowed to use that towards Health Insurance/ Health Club memberships?

Thanks guys!
:D

uwalum said:
This was discussed earlier in the thread. Most of us are speculating that July 8th is a typo and that it is supposed to be June 8th.

Sorry didn't see that.

kafrinkabluejay said:
Sorry didn't see that.

don't worry about it....soo..is everyone really excited about starting in a few weeks??/ what are yall up to this summer? anyone doing anything out of the ordinary as their last summer b4 medschool ? :)

i hope this summer prep program is worth the commitment...for those of you taking ISAC...what do u think so far?

kdkdshah said:
don't worry about it....soo..is everyone really excited about starting in a few weeks??/ what are yall up to this summer? anyone doing anything out of the ordinary as their last summer b4 medschool ? :)

Well, I got married on 6/17, and I have been on my honeymoon in Maui since Monday. We get back on 7/5, so I get to try and relocate in less than a month. I actually just mailed my final transcripts and other junk today from the Kihei post office :cool:

cyclohexanol said:
Well, I got married on 6/17, and I have been on my honeymoon in Maui since Monday. We get back on 7/5, so I get to try and relocate in less than a month. I actually just mailed my final transcripts and other junk today from the Kihei post office :cool:

Maui's gotta be fun, my wife and I were married two years ago and went to Kauai and the big island. Did a lot of kayaking and hiking. We'd love to go back but i doubt we'll be going on any large, expensive vacations the next four years.

kdkdshah said:

i hope this summer prep program is worth the commitment...for those of you taking ISAC...what do u think so far?

I'm really excited! This summer I'm just working, nothing too exciting, I guess. I went on a pretty big vacation for spring break to Roatan, Honduras with my marine lab, so that was kind of my vacation for the year :) If anyone is interested in scuba diving around the reef down there, I will most definitely be going back there someday!