COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Junkster said:
I'll be in town, with nothing to do but studying for the comlex/usmle :smuggrin: ...

719-406-1784

Call me the day before or something, and I guess I can take a break from my super duper studying.

Wazzudoc! I would love to help if I were there. I will be just leaving Seattle that weekend. but I absolutely love kids, so any other time you need time with the missus, I'm more than happy to help a brother out and babysit. :)

Junkster:
NOOO
I get to be the gunner.
*heh*

I think we need to start partying before hand. APPARENTLY, because I tested positive on my PPD skin test but negative on my chest X-ray, my PCP put me on INH. and APPARENTLY I'm not allowed to drink while on the 6-9 month treatment.
I think I will delay taking the pills until classes actually begin... So I'm thinking we need to find drinking buddies for the weekend of the 4th... :)

Members don't see this ad.

emeraldcity said:
Wazzudoc! I would love to help if I were there. I will be just leaving Seattle that weekend. but I absolutely love kids, so any other time you need time with the missus, I'm more than happy to help a brother out and babysit. :)

Thanks anyways, the babysitting offer is much appreciated, we recently just had our first date alone in almost eight months. She's a good kid just needs constant entertainment. We're enjoying being parents but it is nice to get out on the town once in a while.

Junkster said:
I'll be in town, with nothing to do but studying for the comlex/usmle :smuggrin: ...

719-406-1784

Call me the day before or something, and I guess I can take a break from my super duper studying.

We'd hate to take you away from your super important studying : ). But thanks for helping, we'll call you when we get into town. It's not so much the items are heavy just bulky. Two things might give us issues but everything else comes into pieces. we should only take a couple of hours if that.

Members don't see this ad :)
wazzudoc said:
Thanks anyways, the babysitting offer is much appreciated, we recently just had our first date alone in almost eight months. She's a good kid just needs constant entertainment. We're enjoying being parents but it is nice to get out on the town once in a while.

Moms and Dads need time alone together too. So the offer stands. Besides, I'm down to help out a fellow Washingtonian, even if he is a Cougar... ;)
I commend you for starting med school with a family. I can't imagine that it's altogether easy!

emeraldcity said:

Junkster:
NOOO
I get to be the gunner.
*heh*

I think we need to start partying before hand. APPARENTLY, because I tested positive on my PPD skin test but negative on my chest X-ray, my PCP put me on INH. and APPARENTLY I'm not allowed to drink while on the 6-9 month treatment.
I think I will delay taking the pills until classes actually begin... So I'm thinking we need to find drinking buddies for the weekend of the 4th... :)

emerald,

my buddy and i are driving down on the 30th and are planning on partying it up the whole week. so count us in. how are you gonna survive med school without being able to drink for 9 months? you might need to look into some therapy options.

Does anyone successfully submit the White Coat form ? When I filled the payment form, the field Total Amount was blocked. I couldn't enter the amount. When I submit it, the transaction didn't go through because of "null amount".

uwalum said:
emerald,

my buddy and i are driving down on the 30th and are planning on partying it up the whole week. so count us in. how are you gonna survive med school without being able to drink for 9 months? you might need to look into some therapy options.

Sweet!
My friend and I are headed out the 29th, so we'll probably run into you on the road.

I know. I'm quite upset with the whole Do not take Alochol while on this perscription jive. I figure, one or two beers after exams should be okay...
:)

NewNick said:
Does anyone successfully submit the White Coat form ? When I filled the payment form, the field Total Amount was blocked. I couldn't enter the amount. When I submit it, the transaction didn't go through because of "null amount".

Check your email. They mentioned something about turning off your cookies on your browser.

Has anyone seen the Helix's (new on-campus apt.) exercise room? Does it have bikes and treadmills? I wanted to know before buying a membership at another gym. Thanks, and see you all very soon!

Junkster said:
Check your email. They mentioned something about turning off your cookies on your browser.

Hey Junkster,

It didn't work. It was really weird. Not only my computer, but all computers in my house didn't go through also. Finally, they had to fix the code of the page.

Does anyone know if Western drug tests before we start school? My friend starting Ohio State med school says they administer one there. Just wanted to find out if my recreational/celebratory phase leading up to the start of school should be made PG-13.

Whats up guys?

Does anyone know of somebody at Helix w/ a 2BR looking for a roomate? I'd pref. to live somewhere nice near campus, and also pref. with somone in our class.. If you hear anything through the grapevine.. holla.

Thanks & See you in a few

bluerose786 said:
Has anyone seen the Helix's (new on-campus apt.) exercise room? Does it have bikes and treadmills? I wanted to know before buying a membership at another gym. Thanks, and see you all very soon!

It's crappy, it has a treadmill, eliptical and a universal weight thing. not exactly, the " state of the art workout facility" the webpage said at one point. I'd get a gym membership, if I were you. Has anyone checked out the Pomona YMCA yet? if it's got decent weights and machines you can go there instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else a wee bit irked that the GradPlus issue hasn't be resolved yet?

FinAid tells me that the school is having issues with the Dept of Education.
If they haven't fixed the problem by next Wednesday, they said to call, and they'll give options on alternative loans, etc.

*bleh*
I hate money. :)

emeraldcity said:
Anyone else a wee bit irked that the GradPlus issue hasn't be resolved yet?

FinAid tells me that the school is having issues with the Dept of Education.
If they haven't fixed the problem by next Wednesday, they said to call, and they'll give options on alternative loans, etc.

*bleh*
I hate money. :)

Yeah, I keep getting nervous I deleted an important email as time goes by.

wazzudoc said:
Yeah, I keep getting nervous I deleted an important email as time goes by.

FinAid said that if the gradplus stuff doesn't get resolved by Wednesday, to give them a call, and they will set you up with alternative loans.
That way, you'll have money when school starts, etc. if you can't hold out until the problem gets fixed.

Stafford will cover tuition/fees, so that part of my moolah is okay. But I'd rather not take out alternative loans. I think I have enough saved that I can hold out for a few months.

*bleh*

Haha Emerald, I enjoy reading your posts..

bananafish27 said:
Haha Emerald, I enjoy reading your posts..

Then you'll have to join me in a drink or four once I get down to Cali. :)

Oh, I asked my friend at COMP if they were drug tested before school started. He has no recollection of peeing in a cup.

I do remember a friend of mine finding out he had to have a drug test for his Army/Med scholarship. All I recall was copious amounts of Cranberry Juice ingested in 48 hours.
*heh*

I'll be there! Or rather I already am- unless I have already imbibed too much and have misplaced myself...

Dammit, I suspected something when that "WesternU Official" said I needed to pee in a solo cup claiming it was for school-related regulations.

Does cranberry juice do anything special, I always heard you just have to drink massive amounts of fluid.

emeraldcity said:
Then you'll have to join me in a drink or four once I get down to Cali. :)

Oh, I asked my friend at COMP if they were drug tested before school started. He has no recollection of peeing in a cup.

I do remember a friend of mine finding out he had to have a drug test for his Army/Med scholarship. All I recall was copious amounts of Cranberry Juice ingested in 48 hours.
*heh*

Sorry, buddy, I too would be happy to help but am going out of town. If you need any help after that weekend I'll be there.

wazzudoc said:
Thanks for posting this info, I've been curious about where people from our school go.

On another topic, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me move in the last weekend (friday) of July (28th) into the helix? We are driving from WA state, traveling with my wife and baby. Most items are not heavy, its simply that one of us has to watch the baby. It would only be a couple of hours at most. I'd be willing to help someone else move in and we'd provide pizza and bevarages : ).

Does the Helix have central air A/C, anyone know? The website says "energy effecient A/C". I'm thinking that may be code words for "motel A/C units".

bananafish27 said:
I'll be there! Or rather I already am- unless I have already imbibed too much and have misplaced myself...

Dammit, I suspected something when that "WesternU Official" said I needed to pee in a solo cup claiming it was for school-related regulations.

Does cranberry juice do anything special, I always heard you just have to drink massive amounts of fluid.

When I got my physical for school, I had to pee in a cup, but I don't know if that was just part of routine physical with my doc, or what. Not entirely sure...

Hey - is anyone planning on commuting to class from the orange county area?? If so maybe we can set up a carpool.....

bananafish27 said:

Only thing fluids/cranberry juice does is dilllute your urine.
THC is lipid soluble, not water soluble. can't necessarily just flush it out of your system., unless you know how to burn fat automatically. :)
Oh my- I'm sounding like such an impaired physician.

*heheh*

Does anyone have the link to the match list? It was posted here, but even after searching and looking, I can't find it. Sorry!

moose9781 said:
Hey - is anyone planning on commuting to class from the orange county area?? If so maybe we can set up a carpool.....
Moose, I might be commuting from the OC area. If I do, I will be taking the the 57. It might be possible to meet and park somewhere before commuting up. PM me your email address if you are still interested. Caveat: I am still undecided about which med school to go to.

So wait,

even if we get invitations to this thing, we're still required to go, right?

emeraldcity said:
So wait,

haha i had the same thought. but yeah, i'm pretty sure all of it is mandatory. except maybe the lunch. i think the invitation was just a formality, hehe.

any plans to hang out before school starts? i was browsing through an old old thread from comp c/o 2008 or 2007 and they set up a big get-together at ESPN Zone :)

Red Beard said:
Thanks dude!

Btw, how do I tell the difference between the DO programs and the usual kind of programs? Posters in the pre-allo mentioned this.

The white coat ceremony ceremony is mandatory; it is part of the oath that we will take.

Does anyone know if they are really anal about the max. 2 ppl for guest attendance?

emeraldcity said:
So wait,

pls accept me said:
Thanks dude!

Btw, how do I tell the difference between the DO programs and the usual kind of programs? Posters in the pre-allo mentioned this.

There isn't really any way to tell from this list other than googling each program. Some of them are pretty obvious though...any UC program is probably allopathic, the 'COM' programs are probably DO, etc.

Make sure to check the COMs carefully. Many universities use the acronym to represent College of Medicine, just as SOM is school of medicine.

Red Beard said:
There isn't really any way to tell from this list other than googling each program. Some of them are pretty obvious though...any UC program is probably allopathic, the 'COM' programs are probably DO, etc.

Hello all! Time to come out of my nutshell and say hello to my fellow classmates! I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful SoCal weather. I'm moving out to Upland in about two weeks and looking forward to meeting all of you!

Just wondering...will anyone have a spare ticket for the White Coat Ceremony? I'm willing to get down on my knees and beg or do a hula dance for one of them! hehe :)

See you in 3 weeks! YIKES! :)

bananafish27 said:
The white coat ceremony ceremony is mandatory; it is part of the oath that we will take.

Does anyone know if they are really anal about the max. 2 ppl for guest attendance?

So, I'm thinking about having people come for the white coat, but not the convocation? Seems like the White Coat is more specific for each program. I just hate to have my friends sit there from 8:30 on... :)

*whoohoo* I'll be in SoCal in a week. That's a frightening thought :)

Hello Everyone,
I am an OMS-II at COMP, I haven't logged on in a long time, it is nice to see that DO2010 is more active on SDN than my class: That bodes well for you guys!

I just wanted to let you know that the surgery club (SOSA) will be selling WesternU scrubs. So if you are planning on rushing out and buying some scrubs for anatomy lab, just hold out for awhile and you can be sporting the sweetest set of scrubs you have ever laid eyes on!

But as with all things, there is a bad side to this great deal. We are not allowed to conduct club business until club day, August 24th or 25th, so you didn't hear it from me ;) None of the other club sells scrubs, so I am not taking business away from them.

As for the white coat ceremony, last year they didn’t check tickets. I don’t know if that will translate over to this year.

If you have any questions feel free to PM or email me at [email protected]

Someone asked about exam format - 100% on your laptop via blackboard. They've started using the system this summer, and from now on, no paper exams unless you have a learning disability or some other reason you have to have paper. All multiple choice questions, you can jump back and forth between questions, and you can view your results immediately should you wish (just your raw score of # correct).

The reason it seems like you go so long without an exam is that the first week is "Intro to the study of medicine" - it doesn't have an exam but does have some things you have to do for points. You can download your schedule from BB - there should be a "CalendarDO2010" tab that is listed along with your courses. It's too big to attach here, apparently.

Also, a random piece of trivia - if you haven't ordered your name tag yet: the clip style falls forward constantly when clipped to your lab coat breast pocket and it drove some people nuts. The pin style stays on properly so there is less potential for it to be lost. Just fyi.

Good luck to you all and hope you are soaking up your last weeks of complete freedom! :) Looking forward to meeting you all in August - sounds like you've got a great class!

jenniemh said:
Someone asked about exam format - 100% on your laptop via blackboard. They've started using the system this summer, and from now on, no paper exams unless you have a learning disability or some other reason you have to have paper. All multiple choice questions, you can jump back and forth between questions, and you can view your results immediately should you wish (just your raw score of # correct).

*ewww*
I hate taking exams on the computer...
oh well. I suppose it's good practice for the Boards. :rolleyes:

jenniemh said:
QUOTE]

Can you use scratch paper to figure stuff out?

Does anyone know if our $2500 deposit will be applied towards our tuition or will we get it back in form of a check?

Its supposed to be credited back to us, I think with our first disbursement on August 11th. Its not automatically applied to anything.

Nice little chunk of change to set aside for next summer :)

ZOMG, I'm finally in SoCal.

I'll tell you about my horrendous first day in Cali when we meet up for the BBQ.

Junkster said:
ZOMG, I'm finally in SoCal.

I'll tell you about my horrendous first day in Cali when we meet up for the BBQ.

yeeeeouch!

Hoped your trip wouldn't be TOO terrible...
I still need to ask the roomies about the BBQ (waaay too much crap at home to prep and settle before I leave, haven't has a chance to talk to them yet).
But I'm thinking we should plan a beach trip that weekend (sorry red beard! you should head down to SoCal earlier with the missus!)
or, in the very least, help me break in what my roomies say is an olympic size pool. :D

Red Beard said:
Its supposed to be credited back to us, I think with our first disbursement on August 11th. Its not automatically applied to anything.

Europe, here I come!
Imma backpack and bum around there next summer. Who's with me??
That, or hike Machu Pichu. Just because it sounds soooo cooool to say that I went to Machu Pichu. *heh*

:D

emeraldcity said:
Tomorrow is my last day for work. then I have 3 weeks to play until I drop.
*WHOO HOO!*
Three weeks!? :eek:

Guys please explain what these mean:

gong ju/wang ja syndrome
shee-ummas

Please? :D

emeraldcity said:
Europe, here I come!
Imma backpack and bum around there next summer. Who's with me??
That, or hike Machu Pichu. Just because it sounds soooo cooool to say that I went to Machu Pichu. *heh*

:D

Don't leave out Lake Titicaca... kekeke.

Junkster said:
Don't leave out Lake Titicaca... kekeke.

Done and done. Right up there with Intercourse, PA and Blue Ball, PA...
Oh, those Amish. what DO they do in Pennsylvania? :D

:thumbup:
Red Beard said:

Sweeeet!! :thumbup: I was budgeting my life for the upcoming year so I guess I can live a little more comfortably for a couple of months!

nasadorn said:
:thumbup:

Sweeeet!! :thumbup: I was budgeting my life for the upcoming year so I guess I can live a little more comfortably for a couple of months!

Budget well...and don't buy every book that is recommended either. I fell into the trap of buying the recommended texts and never used a lot of them, not to mention waste a lot of money. You don't have time to read texts books. Board review books, or even just the internet is a much cheaper and more time efficient way to go. Don't skimp on food or a gym membership though...you need the brain power and stress reliever. Good luck!

BTW... who else from class of '10 lives in the Promenade Lofts? Didn't we have like 2 or 3 of us?

Junkster said:
BTW... who else from class of '10 lives in the Promenade Lofts? Didn't we have like 2 or 3 of us?

yup, im living there. moving in next sunday or monday. please dont tell me that your nightmare first day has anything to do with the lofts! fill me in. any advice before my move-in? are they hot or do you have the ac cranked?

ps. i've partied the last 5 nites in a row.