Competitive for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the DO averages range with GPA as well as MCAT. How can I ensure I’ll be competitive?

I’m trying to find a DO physician to shadow

Members don't see this ad.

Get some clinical experience - volunteer or scribe or patient care tech, etc. Get a physician letter (doesn’t have to be a DO but that’s a bonus). Show some interest in helping the underserved through non clinical volunteering. Make good connections for good rec letters. MCAT 500+ and GPA 3.5+. Check those boxes and apply to enough schools and you’ll be a lock imo. Leadership and research also help but aren’t crucial if you check all the other boxes. I imagine with the constant school expansion it’ll be somewhat easier to get in 2-3 years from now

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Get some clinical experience - volunteer or scribe or patient care tech, etc. Get a physician letter (doesn’t have to be a DO but that’s a bonus). Show some interest in helping the underserved through non clinical volunteering. Make good connections for good rec letters. MCAT 500+ and GPA 3.5+. Check those boxes and apply to enough schools and you’ll be a lock imo. Leadership and research also help but aren’t crucial if you check all the other boxes. I imagine with the constant school expansion it’ll be somewhat easier to get in 2-3 years from now

Yeah. Trying to keep my gpa as high as possible. It’ll prob be around a 3.6

I have good patient experience >250 hours as a medical assistant at a physician’s office. That’s mainly my clinical experience. Good research (honors thesis, etc.), already have my LORs set, trying to find a DO to shadow so I can get a letter, if not, then I have the MD letter too,

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. Trying to keep my gpa as high as possible. It’ll prob be around a 3.6

I have good patient experience >250 hours as a medical assistant at a physician’s office. That’s mainly my clinical experience. Good research (honors thesis, etc.), already have my LORs set, trying to find a DO to shadow so I can get a letter, if not, then I have the MD letter too,

FWIW, even if you can't find a DO, most schools will accept an MD letter. I know VCOM and ARCOM require DO letters, but most will take a MD letter.

With a 3.6 and an MCAT >50th% those are solid stats for many DO programs. If you do better on the MCAT (508+, probably 510 is better) then I think you stand a solid solid chance at MD, which you should be aiming for. I echo the sentiment of dohopeful13 with regards to ECs- showing an active, sustained interest in helping those less fortunate than yourself is extremely valuable for med school apps. Bonus points if it is medically related, though I think the best thing is to have some of both- volunteering in a non-med environment, and volunteering in a med environment. Ideally, you also have some medical/research related work (looks like you have that though). Good luck.

Just want to express that as a current DO student I highly highly highly recommend a first cycle just applying MD, and adding in DO in the second cycle if you don't get in. It is painful to put your life on hold and have another year of uncertainty (and a lost 250k paycheck for that year) but if you happen to not want primary care as a career, you are really giving yourself a better chance by going MD. This phenomenon will probably (not certain) get worse by the time you are accepted, too. My class, for example, has 700-800 new additional DO students that will be competing against each other for residencies. You become a competent physician either way, but the spectrum of types of physician that you can become via MD are much more easily attainable vs DO.

@parslea

Hmm, a cycle just MD doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. Idk. Not saying I want to disagree with you or anything but seriously? I feel like your opinion is one of many. I appreciate you taking the time but a cycle with just MD in my opinion is not the best idea.

I know your options are greater as an MD and all but still

Reactions: 1 user
@parslea

Hmm, a cycle just MD doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. Idk. Not saying I want to disagree with you or anything but seriously? I feel like your opinion is one of many. I appreciate you taking the time but a cycle with just MD in my opinion is not the best idea.

I know your options are greater as an MD and all but still
100% serious.
My opinion there is not unique. Many people recommend a solo MD year followed by MD+DO if no success. Medicine is a marathon, not a sprint. 1 year feels like a long time, but it is worth the sacrifice. I have nothing to gain really in telling you to make the smart play here, so I do wish you the best of luck either way.

I would be curious as to why it doesn't seem like a good idea to you? Better outcomes, likely less indebtedness, generally more support for students, no 300 hours of added curicullum that <10% of your classmates will use on a regular basis (OMM), more research opportunities, better standardization/average quality for clinical rotations, in-house residencies. Also, depending on your interest (which you have a very small chance of actually knowing at this point- many many students change their preferences during medical school) a much much better shot at actually specializing in what you want to.

@parslea

Well to me, I look at it as a matter of risk. I think for any applicant, it’s more likely that they will get an interview from a DO school as opposed to an MD school... DO schools on average have lower stats.

With that in mind, I feel like
a) it’s a loss of a year worth of physician salary potentially (two for me because I’m taking a gap year)
b) there’s no guarantee I’d get an MD acceptance the first cycle, and if I end up getting a DO acceptance the next, then that’s two years lost
c) I feel like there’s a growing similarity between MDs and DOs even with the merger
d) it’s different if it were the careibean or if I had an MD and DO acceptance IN HAND. But choosing to apply MD only, especially assuming my stats will be what they are, in my opinion, is a bad idea

For sure a 3.9/520 applicant can apply MD only. But I’m not gonna have those stats

This.

I suspect that the OP already knew the answer, but his/her angst was getting the better of them.
I'll just add shadow a DO and get LOR from same.

This.

I suspect that the OP already knew the answer, but his/her angst was getting the better of them.
I'll just add shadow a DO and get LOR from same.

Hey! I meant to ask for your thoughts on only applying MD the first cycle. I don’t think it’s a good idea!

Depends upon your stats and interests

If you’re below the 3.7/512 MCAT threshold, then one simply has to have DOs on the list. At least that’s how I see it. Even if you’re not interested in OMM, get over it and just learn it to be a physician. But to each their own I guess. Just expressing my thoughts

Members don't see this ad :)
100% serious.
My opinion there is not unique. Many people recommend a solo MD year followed by MD+DO if no success. Medicine is a marathon, not a sprint. 1 year feels like a long time, but it is worth the sacrifice. I have nothing to gain really in telling you to make the smart play here, so I do wish you the best of luck either way.

I would be curious as to why it doesn't seem like a good idea to you? Better outcomes, likely less indebtedness, generally more support for students, no 300 hours of added curicullum that <10% of your classmates will use on a regular basis (OMM), more research opportunities, better standardization/average quality for clinical rotations, in-house residencies. Also, depending on your interest (which you have a very small chance of actually knowing at this point- many many students change their preferences during medical school) a much much better shot at actually specializing in what you want to.
Why wouldnt OP just save money and apply once to MD and DO why two cycles? Apply MD and DO as backup unless he really wants shot at MD and wants to retake MCAT. I say wait and become as competitive as possible then apply once to both MD and DO. I agree its not a sprint but applying twice is a waste of time and money. Apply once to both WHEN he or she is ready and most competitive

Reactions: 2 users
Why wouldnt OP just save money and apply once to MD and DO why two cycles? Apply MD and DO as backup unless he really wants shot at MD and wants to retake MCAT. I say wait and become as competitive as possible then apply once to both MD and DO. I agree its not a sprint but applying twice is a waste of time and money. Apply once to both WHEN he or she is ready and most competitive
What you describe is what I did, so I'm not going to be too critical of it. BUT I my GPA was far lower to the point of not having such a shot for MDs.

I think OP would be better served for the same reasons I mentioned- MD schools are on average better for leaving your doors open. Potentially 1 additional year of waiting is in my mind far and away worth it if you have a much higher chance of attaining the career you actually want (by way of matching into a specialty/location of your choice).

What you describe is what I did, so I'm not going to be too critical of it. BUT I my GPA was far lower to the point of not having such a shot for MDs.

I think OP would be better served for the same reasons I mentioned- MD schools are on average better for leaving your doors open. Potentially 1 additional year of waiting is in my mind far and away worth it if you have a much higher chance of attaining the career you actually want (by way of matching into a specialty/location of your choice).

Idk about that. I mean to each their own. But to me, I look at that as a potential two years lost of physician salary. I'm not saying to apply only DO. I just really don't think it's wise to only have MDs on the list unless you're an excellent high stats applicant

Yes I agree never rush med school. I don't know why pre-meds feel like they have to go to med school right out of undergrad and if they take a year off its this huge deal. I didn't apply till I was 27. Its best pre-meds wait until they are truly most competitive. Waiting a year or two or even 3 is fine as long as you are active during that time attempting to make your app competitive (sitting around doing nothing for 3 or 4 years is not a good idea). Average age of my class is like 25 or 26 i think

Idk about that. I mean to each their own. But to me, I look at that as a potential two years lost of physician salary. I'm not saying to apply only DO. I just really don't think it's wise to only have MDs on the list unless you're an excellent high stats applicant
This is sound thinking. Applying MD along with DO for backup is a good idea. Unless you have 510+ and 3.7+ (not definitive cutoff as it is still very possible to land an MD acceptance with slightly lower stats like your lower tier MD and state schools) I think it is wise to say that you should add some DOs to the list.

I know the DO averages range with GPA as well as MCAT. How can I ensure I’ll be competitive?

I’m trying to find a DO physician to shadow

Hi Chemdoc! DO school is different because they review your application 'holistically'. This means your GPA, MCAT, leadership experiences, volunteer work, shadowing, letters of rec, and just about anything you put on your application matters. DO NOT APPLY if you don't have at least 100 hours of volunteer, shadowing, and leadership roles. If you do apply without these, I would recommend only applying to a few places as the likelihood of getting in is slim. Spend time strengthening your application with these extra-curricular. Know that each interviewer will ask you about these experiences and that most (if not all) interviewees have these components in these applications. Also, most individuals are scribes (people who work alongside physicians in Emergency departments or private practice who do all the charting for the provider). This could also be something you may want to look into. This could also be a good way to 'shadow' a DO as well. This was how I got one of my letters of rec. Good luck and I'm available if you have more questions :D

I didnt have near those hours. Still got in multiple places. Wasnt a scribe either. Shrug

I didnt have near those hours. Still got in multiple places. Wasnt a scribe either. Shrug

This is just what I've noticed while interviewing at several places. I got into a lot of places because I think my leadership, volunteer, work, and other such experiences made me stand out. There are definitely other ways to get in. This is just what I've found successful

This is just what I've noticed while interviewing at several places. I got into a lot of places because I think my leadership, volunteer, work, and other such experiences made me stand out. There are definitely other ways to get in. This is just what I've found successful

Thanks! I have around 300 hrs of clinical experience as a medical assistant. I’m trying to find a DO to shadow, I have SOME leadership, also have good clinical experience. My GPA wilk prob be around a 3.6/3.5 ish both cumulative and science. Hoping for a good MCAT

OP, I think your mind is in the right place.

Doesn't matter where you go... still need to kill your boards for a great residency.

OP, I think your mind is in the right place.

Doesn't matter where you go... still need to kill your boards for a great residency.

Will try my best sir! Thank you for your advice. Just trying to beat Biochem and the MCAT rn

Will try my best sir! Thank you for your advice. Just trying to beat Biochem and the MCAT rn
You're giving me PTSD.. :/

Current OMS1 at VCOM-Carolinas - PM me for questions about DO school, app process, etc. if you have any.

Cheers.

Thanks! I have around 300 hrs of clinical experience as a medical assistant. I’m trying to find a DO to shadow, I have SOME leadership, also have good clinical experience. My GPA wilk prob be around a 3.6/3.5 ish both cumulative and science. Hoping for a good MCAT
I had a similar GPA but my MCAT was garbage lol. I got into 3 DO schools so I like to think my hardwork paid off :) Clinical experience and shadowing are going to be your best friends!! Talk that up in your personal statement and don't forget to tell your school what medicine means to you. What separates you from that 4.00 and that 528 MCAT because applicants do have that. Show your passion both in your application (hours, time spent in the medical field, etc) and in your statements (talk about your emotions, what drew you to medicine, etc.). That (in my opinion) is what makes a great application.

I had a similar GPA but my MCAT was garbage lol. I got into 3 DO schools so I like to think my hardwork paid off :) Clinical experience and shadowing are going to be your best friends!! Talk that up in your personal statement and don't forget to tell your school what medicine means to you. What separates you from that 4.00 and that 528 MCAT because applicants do have that. Show your passion both in your application (hours, time spent in the medical field, etc) and in your statements (talk about your emotions, what drew you to medicine, etc.). That (in my opinion) is what makes a great application.

Thanks man. Yeah I have around 300-500 hours of being a medical assistant. I've got really great research. Just want to know more about getting a DO letter... Trying to find a DO to shadow

Thanks man. Yeah I have around 300-500 hours of being a medical assistant. I've got really great research. Just want to know more about getting a DO letter... Trying to find a DO to shadow
Omg that's amazing experience! That will be a great talking point for you! I know some DOs can be hard to track down. Even so, one of my fellow med school friends got in with only 100 hours of shadowing and they were going crazy for her, so you don't need a ton but it tends to help your application.

Omg that's amazing experience! That will be a great talking point for you! I know some DOs can be hard to track down. Even so, one of my fellow med school friends got in with only 100 hours of shadowing and they were going crazy for her, so you don't need a ton but it tends to help your application.

Yeah I want one and a letter too. Yeah the medical assistant is great. Lots of fun. I also have some clinical research too. It's also clinical experience because of what I'm doing. it's unique but I asked a few adcoms on here and they said that my clinical research counts as clinical experience because I get lots of patient interaction hehe... I'm hoping i can at least get into one or two DO schools... I'd be content with Nova honestly since i'm from Florida.

Oh that's awesome :) Yes I'm sure you'll be a very competitive applicant if you can just get a letter of rec and a few hours with a DO. Nova is a great school. One of my friends is enrolled there and she loves it but she says its obviously very difficult. I'm sure you'll do great this cycle! Also if you have any questions my inbox is always open!

Oh that's awesome :) Yes I'm sure you'll be a very competitive applicant if you can just get a letter of rec and a few hours with a DO. Nova is a great school. One of my friends is enrolled there and she loves it but she says its obviously very difficult. I'm sure you'll do great this cycle! Also if you have any questions my inbox is always open!

Yeah I was gonna ask if I can PM you if you don't mind. Yeah I know some people at Nova DO and they love it. Yes they too tell me it's difficult but that's obvious since it IS med school so

Yeah I was gonna ask if I can PM you if you don't mind. Yeah I know some people at Nova DO and they love it. Yes they too tell me it's difficult but that's obvious since it IS med school so
Yes definitely PM me :) Lol tbh anywhere you go is going to be hard so might as well just pick the school you like haha!

With a 3.6 and an MCAT >50th% those are solid stats for many DO programs. If you do better on the MCAT (508+, probably 510 is better) then I think you stand a solid solid chance at MD, which you should be aiming for. I echo the sentiment of dohopeful13 with regards to ECs- showing an active, sustained interest in helping those less fortunate than yourself is extremely valuable for med school apps. Bonus points if it is medically related, though I think the best thing is to have some of both- volunteering in a non-med environment, and volunteering in a med environment. Ideally, you also have some medical/research related work (looks like you have that though). Good luck.

Just want to express that as a current DO student I highly highly highly recommend a first cycle just applying MD, and adding in DO in the second cycle if you don't get in. It is painful to put your life on hold and have another year of uncertainty (and a lost 250k paycheck for that year) but if you happen to not want primary care as a career, you are really giving yourself a better chance by going MD. This phenomenon will probably (not certain) get worse by the time you are accepted, too. My class, for example, has 700-800 new additional DO students that will be competing against each other for residencies. You become a competent physician either way, but the spectrum of types of physician that you can become via MD are much more easily attainable vs DO.
I completely disagree. Dos are. competetive in other specialties than primary care. One of my advisees had 3 top ten interviews for anesthesiology, and matched in the number 1 program in the nation. Google anesthesiology salaries. 400+k per yr is not bad. PMR is also competetive, and not primary care.

I completely disagree. Dos are. competetive in other specialties than primary care. One of my advisees had 3 top ten interviews for anesthesiology, and matched in the number 1 program in the nation. Google anesthesiology salaries. 400+k per yr is not bad. PMR is also competetive, and not primary care.
My wording was this: "if you happen to not want primary care as a career, you are really giving yourself a better chance by going MD".

Do you disagree with this data (you can compare osteopathic seniors to MD seniors)?
Or this, which tells the same story:

It is absolutely more difficult to obtain many specialties as a DO. That was my assertion. It is not impossible, and it's great that you know people that have obtained it.

My wording was this: "if you happen to not want primary care as a career, you are really giving yourself a better chance by going MD".

Do you disagree with this data (you can compare osteopathic seniors to MD seniors)?

It is absolutely more difficult to obtain many specialties as a DO. That was my assertion. It is not impossible, and it's great that you know people that have obtained it.

I'd have to disagree too. I've seen a lot of schools now that are producing more specialties and encouraging people to go into said specialties. DO used to be known for primarily primary care but that's starting to change

I'd have to disagree too. I've seen a lot of schools now that are producing more specialties and encouraging people to go into said specialties. DO used to be known for primarily primary care but that's starting to change
You are disagreeing with the premise that it is more difficult to specialize as a DO? That means you think it is just as easy or easier to enter into, what, any specialty at any institution I may choose to list? Or just if a DO wants specialty X, they will have no more trouble obtaining a residency somewhere than an MD?

...Did you look at the data? Did you see that DOs on average have noticeably higher USMLE step 1 scores for every non-PC specialty (I think)? How do you interpret that?

You are disagreeing with the premise that it is more difficult to specialize as a DO? That means you think it is just as easy or easier to enter into, what, any specialty at any institution I may choose to list? Or just if a DO wants specialty X, they will have no more trouble obtaining a residency somewhere than an MD?

...Did you look at the data? Did you see that DOs on average have noticeably higher USMLE step 1 scores for every non-PC specialty (I think)? How do you interpret that?

I'm just saying that I think its unfair to generalize. Matching has to do with the person (work ethic, intelligence, etc.) and the school (how they prepare you). Just because someone goes to an MD school doesn't mean they'll gain a match over a DO student. It also doesn't mean it will be easier or harder. These stats are very general. I've seen very good DO students match into difficult residencies (dermatology and such) and sub-specialties (aerospace medicine). DO schools strive to provide services to impoverished and under-served populations in all aspects not just in terms of a primary care physician. I don't think arguing does much good on this basis but I do think that disregarding DO schools like that is a little reckless.

Last edited:
:beat::beat:

It also depends on the MD school. Go look at UAMSs match list. Over 60% went to primary care.

Try to get a 506+ for the top DO programs.

Look at the school specific match lists on SDN. DOs match at greater than 50 % primary care as they historically have for decades. Some for low board scores and class rank and many by choice. Some of the brightest people I know are primary care and all by choice. Being a DO does not condemn one to primary care. Of course being a DO specialist is more difficult than for an MD, nothing new here over the last 50 yrs. With respect to MD seniors, of course they might be more competetive, they had higher MCATS and were accepted at MD schools. Nothing new here either.
If you examine Charting Outcomes DOs had greater than 80% match rate for most specialties. Not exactly gloom and doom.

Look at the school specific match lists on SDN. DOs match at greater than 50 % primary care as they historically have for decades. Some for low board scores and class rank and many by choice. Some of the brightest people I know are primary care and all by choice. Being a DO does not condemn one to primary care. Of course being a DO specialist is more difficult than for an MD, nothing new here over the last 50 yrs. With respect to MD seniors, of course they might be more competetive, they had higher MCATS and were accepted at MD schools. Nothing new here either.
If you examine Charting Outcomes DOs had greater than 80% match rate for most specialties. Not exactly gloom and doom.

To add to this:
Looking at my school's match page year over year, it's important to recognize where people are ranking the programs to which they apply. From the outside looking in, you might say "Oh, this dude matched a community FM program. Garbage". In reality, that person ranked them at the top of their list and are thrilled to go there. In some cases, this is because of family - several people in my class (and presumably the upper classes as well) have already started a family and want to be somewhere conducive to that life. In others, they did a rotation there through one of our programs and loved it. Whatever the case, oftentimes these places are matched because applicants are ranking them highly, not because they 'got screwed'.

I'm not going to argue that it's generally more difficult to find a competitive specialty as a DO graduate as some programs simply refuse to rank DO applicants as opposed to their MD counterparts. But the solution is simple: don't apply to those programs. There are enough programs that rank DOs in every single specialty - including the ultracompetitive like dermatology and neurosurgery - for a DO graduate to find a position if that was their life's goal.

At the end of the day, a DO who doesn't match neurosurgery probably wouldn't have matched it had they gone to an MD school, save for the very top schools like Harvard or Stanford where the name alone might carry a weak application.

To follow up my wise colleague's words, the following specialties are DO friendly:
Neuro
Gas
Rads
Path
PM&R
EM
OB/Gyn
Even Gen Surg is doable, but harder.

Looking at my school's match list over the past several years, and those of other schools this year, I'd estimate that some 10-15% grads are going into specialties other than the DO-friendly ones listed above or in PC.

And yes, we know that there are top residencies in fields like IM that don't take DOs, and that the uber-specialties are also nearly impossible for DOs to get into, especially the surgical subspecialties. Nothing new there.

To follow up my wise colleague's words, the following specialties are DO friendly:
Neuro
Gas
Rads
Path
PM&R
EM
OB/Gyn
Even Gen Surg is doable, but harder.

Looking at my school's match list over the past several years, and those of other schools this year, I'd estimate that some 10-15% grads are going into specialties other than the DO-friendly ones listed above or in PC.

And yes, we know that there are top residencies in fields like IM that don't take DOs, and that the uber-specialties are also nearly impossible for DOs to get into, especially the surgical subspecialties. Nothing new there.

I was actually curious about this so I pulled the AOA/NRMP data and threw it into excel:

~60% of DOs for 2018 went into PC (minus any that sub-specialized IM). I didn't list TRIs.

Reactions: 3 users
Look up a hospitals research contact pages (this the only way I found to actually find physician emails), then look up that doctor to see what they practice and what location.
Note: EMAIL A LOT