Complete Late August way too disadvantageous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be taking my MCAT on July 2nd and I am trying to get some thing straight in my mind. I've heard some mixed reviews on what is considered way too late to be complete, so some advice would be appreciated.

Lets say I submit my app early before I even take or get scores for my MCAT July 2nd. I'd get scores back early August, but my committee letter doesn't get finalized for up to a month after scores come back. This would put me at mid to late August to be fully complete.

So a few questions...

-Is this just way too late, or is it fine? I've heard mixed reviews and I just don't want to waste the money applying this year if my chances will be slim to none with this time frame.

-Do schools send secondaries and interview invites if your committee letter isn't in yet? or do you have to be fully complete with letter submitted before they even look at you?

-Also, is it just too risky to submit before scores come back this late? because if the score ends up too low then ill be considered a reapplicant next cycle for no reason, which sucks. Anyone with any experience with this?

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a borderline applicant for a school, being complete in late August does you no favors. I don't know if it would be considered late, probably around average.

So I will be taking my MCAT on July 2nd and I am trying to get some thing straight in my mind. I've heard some mixed reviews on what is considered way too late to be complete, so some advice would be appreciated.

Lets say I submit my app early before I even take or get scores for my MCAT July 2nd. I'd get scores back early August, but my committee letter doesn't get finalized for up to a month after scores come back. This would put me at mid to late August to be fully complete.

So a few questions...

-Is this just way too late, or is it fine? I've heard mixed reviews and I just don't want to waste the money applying this year if my chances will be slim to none with this time frame.

-Do schools send secondaries and interview invites if your committee letter isn't in yet? or do you have to be fully complete with letter submitted before they even look at you?

-Also, is it just too risky to submit before scores come back this late? because if the score ends up too low then ill be considered a reapplicant next cycle for no reason, which sucks. Anyone with any experience with this?

Thank you all!
You have to wait on your MCAT scores to have your committee letter compiled? Anyways, are you considering the additional time it takes to verify your application? If you submit on like August 1st it will probably take a few weeks for you to actually be verified (complete).

Im unfamiliar with how it works if you submit without an MCAT or letters. Can they even verify your app before its completed with that information?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You would be average in terms of timing. Whether or not average is a problem or is perfectly ok is highly dependent on how strong your application is overall. If you are a marginal applicant I wouldn't recommend being complete in late August but for an average-to-strong applicant it's less likely to be an issue.

You have to wait on your MCAT scores to have your committee letter compiled? Anyways, are you considering the additional time it takes to verify your application? If you submit on like August 1st it will probably take a few weeks for you to actually be verified (complete).

Im unfamiliar with how it works if you submit without an MCAT or letters. Can they even verify your app before its completed with that information?

yes, my committee requires test scores to finalize the letter. dumb, but just the way it is.

I was also under the impression that verification was only for your transcripts and grades, so as long as that stuff is in, you get verified much earlier. then when scores come in it gets updated automatically and you're good.

I guess being "average" is better than late. I'm just having trouble imagining waiting another whole year before applying, but also don't want to waste the money if it'll be too late to even have a decent shot. decisions to make. any advice or personal experiences would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on turning in my primary as early in June as possible but won't be taking my MCAT until late July/early August. I've talked to admissions and they do say that my application would be late in the cycle but that it's not impossible to get in.

I don't want to wait until next cycle to apply...anyone have any advice? Is it that late?

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on turning in my primary as early in June as possible but won't be taking my MCAT until late July/early August. I've talked to admissions and they do say that my application would be late in the cycle but that it's not impossible to get in.

I don't want to wait until next cycle to apply...anyone have any advice? Is it that late?

Not really much advice to give. Focus on the MCAT and get a great score to offset applying late. The ideal thing would be to just apply first day, but you can't and don't want to wait so just try to get as high of a score as possible.

It's late. Not unforgivably late, but late. Submit your secondaries ASAP and prewrite when possible. Even so, there will be some schools that you will not receive interviews to that you might have gotten into having been complete a month earlier.

I was complete at most schools between August 28th and September 3rd. My friend had similar stats but submitted early and had 5 interviews by August 10th. I didn't get an interview at any of those 5 schools (UC Davis and UVa amongst others, if I remember correctly). On the other hand, I did get 7 interviews eventually, was accepted into schools, and am attending a top 20 next year, so not all is lost!

Get your ducks lined up so when your MCAT scores are in and your letters are ready the rest of your application is all set. Make sure secondaries are all written, polished, and submitted, and make sure you're prepared to ace the MCAT when you take it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
well this obviously sucks but I just can't imagine waiting another year. may have to just apply as broadly and realistically as possible after the mcat and hope for the best. thanks for the clarification

It's late. Not unforgivably late, but late. Submit your secondaries ASAP and prewrite when possible. Even so, there will be some schools that you will not receive interviews to that you might have gotten into having been complete a month earlier.

I was complete at most schools between August 28th and September 3rd. My friend had similar stats but submitted early and had 5 interviews by August 10th. I didn't get an interview at any of those 5 schools (UC Davis and UVa amongst others, if I remember correctly). On the other hand, I did get 7 interviews eventually, was accepted into schools, and am attending a top 20 next year, so not all is lost!

Get your ducks lined up so when your MCAT scores are in and your letters are ready the rest of your application is all set. Make sure secondaries are all written, polished, and submitted, and make sure you're prepared to ace the MCAT when you take it. Good luck!

If my primary app was verified and my LORs are in by July, and the only thing I'm waiting for is my MCAT score come early August, would you still deem that as being late?

Can I ask specifically the turn around times for your primary application going from verified to complete?

Thanks!

If my primary app was verified and my LORs are in by July, and the only thing I'm waiting for is my MCAT score come early August, would you still deem that as being late?

Can I ask specifically the turn around times for your primary application going from verified to complete?

Thanks!
Verification time generally increases the later you submit as applications get backed up. I submitted mine in June and was verified 5 weeks later. There is a "2013 AMCAS verification thread" that you can search for on SDN where people reported submit dates and verification dates.

It's late, but it's doable.

I took the MCAT in September and submitted my AMCAS in late August, and so I tried to compensate by applying to more schools than I otherwise would have. It was a terrible idea, but I survived.

I wouldn't put it off another year (unless you have great plans that you're interested in.)

And prewrite all your main secondary prompts so you can send those in immediately.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's late, but it's doable.

I took the MCAT in September and submitted my AMCAS in late August, and so I tried to compensate by applying to more schools than I otherwise would have. It was a terrible idea, but I survived.

I wouldn't put it off another year (unless you have great plans that you're interested in.)

And prewrite all your main secondary prompts so you can send those in immediately.

awesome. I'm gonna go ahead and do it as I just wanna get this show on the road. praying for a solid mcat come July. fingers crossed

awesome. I'm gonna go ahead and do it as I just wanna get this show on the road. praying for a solid mcat come July. fingers crossed

I took MCAT July 13 2013, submitted AMCAS July 6, 2013, wasn't verified until August 23. Submit at least one school with AMCAS as early as possible (MCAT not needed) to get verified sooner. As soon as MCAT is released, you can add schools. I didn't prewrite secondaries, big mistake. Get that done early, so you can turn around ASAP. I didn't get all my secondaries in until early Sept. Received 6 interview invites, but quite a bit later in season, not optimal, and very stressful. However, if you don't make my mistakes, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I took MCAT July 13 2013, submitted AMCAS July 6, 2013, wasn't verified until August 23. Submit at least one school with AMCAS as early as possible (MCAT not needed) to get verified sooner. As soon as MCAT is released, you can add schools. I didn't prewrite secondaries, big mistake. Get that done early, so you can turn around ASAP. I didn't get all my secondaries in until early Sept. Received 6 interview invites, but quite a bit later in season, not optimal, and very stressful. However, if you don't make my mistakes, you'll be fine. Good luck.
Yeah the secondaries actually took much longer to finish than my primary. Don't underestimate how long it takes to write so many essays!

Yeah the secondaries actually took much longer to finish than my primary. Don't underestimate how long it takes to write so many essays!

appreciate the advice! will certainly keep it in mind moving forward. team pre-write! hahah

Please don't do it to yourself. Just wait another year. August is late. Last cycle was a disaster. Everything was backed up. You REALLY want to be early. Don't underestimate the power
of being early.

@Great White Buffalo and TomHanks hit it on the nail. You are also screwed if you need to retake or void... Just be careful. I've seen so many of my friends rush things instead of waiting for the next cycle and it ruined them.

Sometimes I feel the need to be complete early is extremely over hyped on SDN. Although you won't be early, you will definitely not be considered late. This all depends on the strength of your application of course, but if you have a well written app and decent numbers you should still get interviews and hopefully an acceptance.

Sometimes I feel the need to be complete early is extremely over hyped on SDN. Although you won't be early, you will definitely not be considered late. This all depends on the strength of your application of course, but if you have a well written app and decent numbers you should still get interviews and hopefully an acceptance.

I was a reapplicant this year, complete everywhere last year in September, complete everywhere in July this year. My numbers and my EC's did not really change. My essays were slightly more polished, but largely remained the same. I received four times as many interview invitations this year, and speculate that I could've received even more if I was not a reapplicant at so many schools. So in my anecdotal opinion, as an ORM with slightly above average numbers, applying early was a HUGE lift for my application.

I was a reapplicant this year, complete everywhere last year in September, complete everywhere in July this year. My numbers and my EC's did not really change. My essays were slightly more polished, but largely remained the same. I received four times as many interview invitations this year, and speculate that I could've received even more if I was not a reapplicant at so many schools. So in my anecdotal opinion, as an ORM with slightly above average numbers, applying early was a HUGE lift for my application.

it's tough bc you hear so many mixed opinions, and I don't think it's any secret that earlier is much better, but I guess just hoping it works out!

I shouldn't be answering... I completely my primary in mid August and most of my secondary by September. I applied to 6 schools, had 2 interview invites, accepted by the first school the same day of my interview so I cancelled my second interview. 4 rejections.

Late? Yes. At a disadvantage? Yes. Too late for any hope? No.

it's tough bc you hear so many mixed opinions, and I don't think it's any secret that earlier is much better, but I guess just hoping it works out!

I agree. Right now I am also planning to take a July MCAT and hoping that by the time my scores are released, my application should be verified and with all the letters submitted to Interfolio. Either way, I'm trying to expedite everything as quickly as possible just to make up for the late MCAT. =\

Lets hope that mcat is a 35 or higher!

OP, as others have said being complete in late August won't kill your application, but it will make things more difficult for you. As far as applications go I think that the majority of applicants get verified in late August so this will put you in the middle of the pack. I applied this past year and was complete on the last day of August. I have been successful, but do wonder what my cycle would have been like if I had applied early. Honestly, if my MCAT wouldn't have expired I probably would have just cut my losses and taken another year so that I could get my application in on the first day. You only want to apply once and where you go to medical school does matter.

I really wouldn't be that late if it wasn't for my committee letter taking a month+ after mcat scores. should I possibly find out if I can just skip the committee letter and apply earlier? or is that just an app killer and it'll be better to be more late with the letter? thanks guys

OP, as others have said being complete in late August won't kill your application, but it will make things more difficult for you. As far as applications go I think that the majority of applicants get verified in late August so this will put you in the middle of the pack. I applied this past year and was complete on the last day of August. I have been successful, but do wonder what my cycle would have been like if I had applied early. Honestly, if my MCAT wouldn't have expired I probably would have just cut my losses and taken another year so that I could get my application in on the first day. You only want to apply once and where you go to medical school does matter.

This. If you have a solid but not superstar application and you're the type of person who will play the "what if" game, wait. Plain and simple. Personally, I'm in both categories, and while I will be going to school next year and do have options, this process could have been a whole lot more cost-effective, less stressful, potentially more successful, and even fun if you enjoy jet-setting all over the place like me had I not rushed into it with a few missing pieces.

That said, my PS and a few ECs combined with some serious cluelessness were the pieces slowing me down, which is more my problem then the process. So in your case, absolutely do pre-write secondaries (they do take forever, I ate more peanut M&Ms to stay up nights than I will ever admit) and have everything ready to go early and you might be just fine. As soon as you get everything in, I would also start jotting down update and interest letter ideas, since these were probably the only things that got me noticed after the first wave of applicants went through before me this year.