Completing application as a Non Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lizzy Pearl

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished all of my pre-reqs and have started preparing for MCAT and application. What do non-trad students put on their applications under awards and activities? As an undergrad I was in many clubs and organizations, but currently I spend most of my time adulting. How can I impress the admissions committee under the Honors and Activities section?
Additionally, I'll have about a year between MCAT and matriculation. What would be the best use of this time? Working (as a RN)? Volunteering? What will increase my chances/improve strength of my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I put my undergrad awards, and a work award. For activities I included my work as well as some undergrad clubs etc. I grouped some of the undergrad stuff together to get it to fit. Like I had a section that included dean's list, entrance awards, other undergrad scholarships etc.

If you haven't done volunteering yet, you should do some of that... but I don't really see why you can't work and volunteer.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished all of my pre-reqs and have started preparing for MCAT and application. What do non-trad students put on their applications under awards and activities? As an undergrad I was in many clubs and organizations, but currently I spend most of my time adulting. How can I impress the admissions committee under the Honors and Activities section?
Additionally, I'll have about a year between MCAT and matriculation. What would be the best use of this time? Working (as a RN)? Volunteering? What will increase my chances/improve strength of my application?

You won't impress the adcoms under the H&A section. Neither will most of the traditional students either unless it's something bigger like a Rhodes scholarship or other big national award. Put your undergrad stuff there just so there's filler, but nobody reviewing your application will spend much time on that part. Put stuff like any scholarships you had, whatever lists you were on, etc. If you have any adult awards, mention those too, but it's ok if nothing adulty really fits there.

As for the best use of your time, hard to say without knowing more about you and your strengths/weaknesses overall. Obviously you could benefit from using the time to bolster any flimsy parts of your app. Research is not an essential part of the app like some other things, but non trads frequently lack this item and if you have time and opportunity, might be worth getting involved with some project. I'm sure there's some QI project related to nursing you could pitch in with as well and maybe even get your name on a paper. That's just if you have everything else covered already; totally not essential, just checking another box.

Looking at the date/time on my screen, I do wonder what your timeline is. If your plan is to take the MCAT asap and apply this cycle, maybe try starting a few things prior to submission so you can include them and then keep them going or let them fall by the wayside depending on how your year goes. I'd say focus most of your efforts on making a living and turning applications around ASAP. Keep other things marinating just enough in case you have to re-apply and need to say something about how you spent your year, but as a real adult I think everyone expects you would have spent the bulk of your time working and living life.

I think with a healthcare background and assuming you've done a little shadowing and do some occasional volunteering, you should be set from that side of things. I can't imagine someone looking at an application from a working RN and thinking they aren't cut out for medicine because they don't know what it's like. Honestly, the biggest mistake you could make would be to apply too late in the cycle.

Remember that while being a non-trad doesn't excuse us from needing solid numbers and checking all the same boxes the traditional students do, it does grant us a little leeway assuming the groundwork is solid. My shadowing and volunteering hours were nothing compared to some I see posted here, but it wasn't remotely an issue for me. I had enough to convince people I knew what I was getting myself into and would stick with it; as a nurse you clearly have that covered too. Overall, keep adulting and find ways to distinguish yourself as a successful professional in your field who is also involved in giving back to the community.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You won't impress the adcoms under the H&A section. Neither will most of the traditional students either unless it's something bigger like a Rhodes scholarship or other big national award. Put your undergrad stuff there just so there's filler, but nobody reviewing your application will spend much time on that part. Put stuff like any scholarships you had, whatever lists you were on, etc. If you have any adult awards, mention those too, but it's ok if nothing adulty really fits there.

As for the best use of your time, hard to say without knowing more about you and your strengths/weaknesses overall. Obviously you could benefit from using the time to bolster any flimsy parts of your app. Research is not an essential part of the app like some other things, but non trads frequently lack this item and if you have time and opportunity, might be worth getting involved with some project. I'm sure there's some QI project related to nursing you could pitch in with as well and maybe even get your name on a paper. That's just if you have everything else covered already; totally not essential, just checking another box.

Looking at the date/time on my screen, I do wonder what your timeline is. If your plan is to take the MCAT asap and apply this cycle, maybe try starting a few things prior to submission so you can include them and then keep them going or let them fall by the wayside depending on how your year goes. I'd say focus most of your efforts on making a living and turning applications around ASAP. Keep other things marinating just enough in case you have to re-apply and need to say something about how you spent your year, but as a real adult I think everyone expects you would have spent the bulk of your time working and living life.

I think with a healthcare background and assuming you've done a little shadowing and do some occasional volunteering, you should be set from that side of things. I can't imagine someone looking at an application from a working RN and thinking they aren't cut out for medicine because they don't know what it's like. Honestly, the biggest mistake you could make would be to apply too late in the cycle.

Remember that while being a non-trad doesn't excuse us from needing solid numbers and checking all the same boxes the traditional students do, it does grant us a little leeway assuming the groundwork is solid. My shadowing and volunteering hours were nothing compared to some I see posted here, but it wasn't remotely an issue for me. I had enough to convince people I knew what I was getting myself into and would stick with it; as a nurse you clearly have that covered too. Overall, keep adulting and find ways to distinguish yourself as a successful professional in your field who is also involved in giving back to the community.

Thank you so, so much for the detailed response. I'm taking BioChem in June and then can devote myself to MCAT. I've heard that it's extremely important to turn in completed application early on in the cycle. Therefore, I was planning on taking the January MCAT and applying next May. My dermatologist (who is extremely supportive of my dream) thinks that I should take a boot camp prep course, take the September MCAT, and apply this cycle. She said that it isn't a big deal to take the MCAT more than once and it isn't a big deal to reapply if I dont get in on the first try. I'm EXTREMELY reluctant to follow her advice. It took me years to gather the gumption to go for it.... at this point this whole process has become like my baby and I'm scared to gamble with my app. I think I'll have a solid application but the timing could really screw me if I apply late in the cycle.

Not sure if there's a definitive answer in this case. Much depends on your own personal goals and risk tolerance. The conservative play is to wait and apply once and do it early in the cycle.

That said, it's not clear how much being a reapplicant with an otherwise strong app will influence your chances. Stay active during the year and worst case scenario you can reapply with some tweaks to your PS about what you've been up to while applying. You could also try a limited set of applications to minimize any hypothetical fallout if you had to reapply.

I have to be honest as my own experience was a bit odd. I'd never set foot in a science or math class but I'd heard my state school gave extra "points" to reapplicants for showing determination, so I applied there before even starting my pre-reqs. Winged the mcat and started the diy post bacc and somehow actually got my butt accepted even before finishing the pre reqs! So crazy things CAN happen, but it's definitely not the norm. I was lucky in that I had no idea what I was doing. If I were doing it again knowing what I do now, I would probably wait. Or not. I'm still a little (lot) bit of an outside the box kind o guy.

Wow! That is a great story. It was clearly meant to be. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll get a sign. ;)
How did you take the MCAT without having taken Science courses ? I put off MCAT until after BIOCHEM because I heard there was ALOT of BioChem.

My dermatologist (who is extremely supportive of my dream) thinks that I should take a boot camp prep course, take the September MCAT, and apply this cycle. She said that it isn't a big deal to take the MCAT more than once and it isn't a big deal to reapply if I dont get in on the first try. I'm EXTREMELY reluctant to follow her advice. It took me years to gather the gumption to go for it.... at this point this whole process has become like my baby and I'm scared to gamble with my app. I think I'll have a solid application but the timing could really screw me if I apply late in the cycle.
What do you think the value of a bootcamp course is for you? I self-studied because my work schedule didn't allow for a bootcamp, and I did really well. I loved Exam Krackers, which I don't think offers a bootcamp. I would recommend that over Kaplan for sure as long as you're self-motivated.

In terms of redoing the MCAT, if you do poorly, you should of course redo it. But you will be more impressive with a first shot stellar score. Some schools average scores, so you should really aim to do well the first try.

Many people apply multiple times, but a good first application makes you stand out more, so you should aim for that. (Plus you don't want to wonder if you could have gotten into a better school, and it's a lot of money.)

100% agree to apply early. It is too late to consider applying this year - apply early next year.

Thanks for the great detailed advice. Intuitively I feel like it's best to strike once with the best application package possible. I considered trying to fast track the process when my Dermatologist made it sound so doable. I mean, who wouldn't want to get started with the rest of their life as soon as possible.
As far as MCAT prep goes...I'm fearful that I wouldn't do a thorough job on my own. Ironically I'm the type that does best studying on my own and I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to studying. I guess I kinda viewed a prep course (Princeton Review) as a safety net. Of course I could be ENTIRELY wrong.

I self-studied because my work schedule didn't allow for a bootcamp, and I did really well. I loved Exam Krackers, which I don't think offers a bootcamp.

How exactly did you prepare/study? Exam Krackers books exclusively?

My dermatologist (who is extremely supportive of my dream) thinks that I should take a boot camp prep course, take the September MCAT, and apply this cycle. She said that it isn't a big deal to take the MCAT more than once and it isn't a big deal to reapply if I dont get in on the first try.
Horrible advice. Horrible to the point of being malicious. May have been marginally true 20-30 years ago. Tell her 60% of med school applicants were rejected last year.

Study the reapplicant for mistakes to avoid. Your dermatologist advises you to commit the 2 biggest avoidable mistakes.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
A weak first application should be avoided. It is expensive and heart-breaking.

A strong first application that fails can be even harder to overcome. We will assume that you got interviews and were rejected. This form of pre-screening reduces the chance of an interview at many schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Ha! Yeah, I'm sure she only had the best of intentions but admissions has gotten tougher.
I'm going to play it safe.