Computational biology and medical school

Varanus komodoensis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Junior High School student recently looking into possible medical work. I volunteer at my city's hospital and through this I believe I may want to consider going to a medical school. Originally, I planned to become a software engineer, I am a half-decent programmer and believe CS will be a viable option for me, however after starting AP biology and volunteering at a hospital my interest in biology and medicine has been revived. For my undergraduate I plan to get a B.S. either software engineering or computational biology. Due to the interest I am getting in biology however, I want to be able to keep Medical school as potential door for after my undergraduate. I am unfamiliar with the college process, especially in terms of what is needed to be a doctor. What medical careers can combine my skills in computer science with medicine? What are some careers paths that could be followed? Will computational biology adequately prepare me for the MCAT exam and medical school or should I seek to double major?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything and go to medical school. You have to take the prerequisite courses, which naturally align with some majors (like biology) more than others (like history). Your pre-med prerequisites prepare you for the MCAT. Courses related to your chosen major may also prepare you somewhat, but should really be focused on preparing you for a career of your choice. Particularly if you aren't fully committed to going to medical school, you should choose a major based on a career you actually would like to have. Remember, not everyone who wants to go to medical school gets that opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if there is anything that would combine those two but biochemical engineering is a combination of Biology and Engineering (not software engineering).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

-major in whatever you like. Follow degree plan (has list of all courses needed to complete that degree)

-look up and take all medical school prereqs.

-prep for mcat with Kaplan /Princeton books after taking pre reqs

-email college of interest. Copy paste this. Get feedback.