Medical Scribe or other role for MSU COM to be counted as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarazzl

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be in premed in the fall. Just wondering if I should get into medical scribing or MA or even CNA as my clinical experience? One of the counselors that I talked to at MSU COM does not think much of scribing, though given the fact that I am pretty interested in it. I guess my question is: out of all 3 roles that I mentioned above, which one is more competitive to get better acceptance rate for med school?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would honestly say all are valid forms of clinical experience. Your counselor may just feel that scribing experience is a very diluted clinical experience because many medical school applicants partake in it, but I don't see it as a negative at all. If you're not interested in, or cannot get a MA or CNA position, then scribing is not a bad option at all. I had did some scribing and I could say it was a valuable experience (even if just for myself) to work with many types of physicians and seeing all that they went through on a daily basis, especially if you get the opportunity to scribe in a ER/trauma center.

Reactions: 2 users
I would honestly say all are valid forms of clinical experience. Your counselor may just feel that scribing experience is a very diluted clinical experience because many medical school applicants partake in it, but I don't see it as a negative at all. If you're not interested in, or cannot get a MA or CNA position, then scribing is not a bad option at all. I had did some scribing and I could say it was a valuable experience (even if just for myself) to work with many types of physicians and seeing all that they went through on a daily basis, especially if you get the opportunity to scribe in a ER/trauma center.
I have made a ton of connections as a scribe and some life long friends (even though they are alot older than I).

Hell my letters of recommendation were off the charts from what my interviewers hinted at. I would go with scribing. The relationship you build with your physicians is a lot more intimate.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I will be in premed in the fall. Just wondering if I should get into medical scribing or MA or even CNA as my clinical experience? One of the counselors that I talked to at MSU COM does not think much of scribing, though given the fact that I am pretty interested in it. I guess my question is: out of all 3 roles that I mentioned above, which one is more competitive to get better acceptance rate for med school?

Thank you!
I would go with the scribing. CNA and MA isn't much different, it's not like you're comparing it with being a medic or something unequivocally different.

If you're interested, do it, enjoy it, and it'll all fall into place in the end.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I have made a ton of connections as a scribe and some life long friends (even though they are alot older than I).

Hell my letters of recommendation were off the charts from what my interviewers hinted at. I would go with scribing. The relationship you build with your physicians is a lot more intimate.
Thank you. I am looking for an online medical scribe program. Is there any legit ones that you would recommend?

I would go with the scribing. CNA and MA isn't much different, it's not like you're comparing it with being a medic or something unequivocally different.

If you're interested, do it, enjoy it, and it'll all fall into place in the end.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you. I think being a medical scribe would really complement my current part time job as a medical translator.

Thank you. I think being a medical scribe would really complement my current part time job as a medical translator. Do you have any online medical scribe programs that you would recommend?

Thank you. I think being a medical scribe would really complement my current part time job as a medical translator. Do you have any online medical scribe programs that you would recommend?
I went through ScribeAmerica at the time but I'm not sure if there are better companies.

As a scribe, you definitely shadow physicians in order to perform your job related tasks. It is also definitely clinical experience.