Concentration issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutritiontomed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found my weakness in vr. For some odd reason I lose concentration after ps section and I can't seem to concentrate on vr. Does anyone have the same problem and how do you guys deal with it

Members don't see this ad.

I have this same problem! I tend to "over-realize" that I'm actually taking an FL and I should make the most out of what I read to the point where I freak out and don't understand anything -_-

You know, that's what i've been thinking for the past year..Or maybe we just need to lighten up during the test, since I have no trouble reading things casually?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same problem here! When I do verbal sections solo I usually get around 10-11 but when I do them in full lengths, I get between 7-9. I think it might be because I've been taking my FLs early in the morning since that's when my scheduled MCAT is and I'm just not fully awake. I've also been skipping the breaks between PS and VR cause I'm impatient to finish...so maybe if I go to sleep earlier the night before and take the 10 min break, I'll do better XD

Good luck to you!

As someone who just took the MCAT last week...

Don't worry about it, you WILL be able to concentrate on the MCAT. You will feel like you're in a pressure cooker and your brain will force itself to focus.

Build up your stamina. It's hard and it takes time, but it's very doable. Most of us have managed it, and I bet you can too.

Say you're able to concentrate hard for one hour at a time before you get worn out. That's okay. Heck, that's pretty good, actually. Now you need to get that up to about 5 hours. But how?

The truth is, that part is different for everyone. I personally take mental breaks for every 45-60 minutes I study. When I feel my concentration beginning to slip, I stop what I'm doing and close my eyes. I learned a few quick meditation techniques through yoga, and I take a good 2-3 minutes just clearing my mind and relaxing. One more minute is spent stretching, getting the blood flowing, etc. And then it's back to work. That's the easiest method for me.

My friends, on the other hand, have different methods. One employs the "treat it like customer service" method, as he calls it. No matter how tired, bored, or distracted you might think you are, you still devote all your attention to what's in front of you and you do it with a smile. (No, seriously - you know his concentration is starting to waver when he breaks out in this huge grin while he works.) Another friend learned to power through her long periods of concentration. She spent a few weeks upping her 'seat' time while studying so that she could focus longer.

But overall, the method that seems to be most effective for me, my friends, and this board in general is having a healthy lifestyle. You really can concentrate better when you're eating right, sleeping enough, and exercising. I go to the gym 3-4 times per week, do yoga every morning, and stock my fridge with veggies and lean meats (turkey breast, etc.). I don't eat processed foods and my go-to snack is peeled carrots, which are like candy. I drink green tea in the afternoons and get plenty of water, and I sleep 7-8 hours per night. I'm strong and healthy, and I can concentrate on anything I need to and think way more clearly than I ever did before I decided to get healthy.

So spend a little time thinking over how you can handle the stress of concentrating for so long. It might be meditation, chanting a mantra, building up stamina, or something I haven't listed here. Maybe it's just the effect of eating overprocessed everything. But once you've figured out what to do about it, you'll be fine.