Concern About Program Student Admissions Data (Utah State, Ole Miss)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiinch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning All!

I'm nearly done with my applications for this season, and there are two programs that I'm applying for that seem to have disproportionately long lengths of time before degrees are awarded. Utah State is showing over 7 years, as is Ole Miss, but searching the forums here hasn't yielded any cautionary tales about specific experiences. Can anyone offer insight? Anyone here attending either of these programs?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Accredited match rates look good. Also, remember that they are reporting total time until degree conferral, so it is including the internship year. Although, yes, ideally you'd like to see to see it closer to 6 years (e.g., 5+1). One thing to think about is that I believe Utah State is a combined program, so that may take a slight bit longer. Additionally, sites that tend to push out more research heavy people can have longer times to degree conferral if people are beefing up the research on their CV before going job searching. Not sure if that's what is going on here, but worth a further look. But, their peripheral stats look good.

Accredited match rates look good. Also, remember that they are reporting total time until degree conferral, so it is including the internship year. Although, yes, ideally you'd like to see to see it closer to 6 years (e.g., 5+1). One thing to think about is that I believe Utah State is a combined program, so that may take a slight bit longer. Additionally, sites that tend to push out more research heavy people can have longer times to degree conferral if people are beefing up the research on their CV before going job searching. Not sure if that's what is going on here, but worth a further look. But, their peripheral stats look good.
Thanks, Wis. I thought all of their stats looked great, and I've heard anecdotally good things about both programs (but several degrees removed from students themselves). In looking at other research-heavy campuses, CS models did seem to trend longer to conferral. I'm wondering, then, if folks who are looking for a more standard SP approach to training would be a good fit? Or if the program adjusts to those needs, should the student not require additional CV "beefing?"

In the grand scheme of things, application fees are a drop in the bucket, so I will be applying regardless for the research fit. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard any bad things about either school. Ole Miss I've heard good stuff about. USU is combined clinical/counseling/school iirc,. This is probably why it is longer, just as WisNeuro said.

As for the CS/SP training models, apply where you fit because its 5+ years of your life that you are committing to.. and that they are committing to have you be part of their lives for. If you don't want to take a very heavy research focus, don't put yourself in a position where that is the expectation.

Maybe the programs are so spectacular that folks just don't want to leave...? :)

In all seriousness, I agree with what WisNeuro and Justanothergrad have said. If the rest of the outcome data is solid, may just be a program culture-type situation (which isn't necessarily a negative thing). Worst-case, you can ask faculty/students about it while on site if you interview at either school.

Thank you Acronym and Justanother for the advice--I'm not adverse to significant research, as I have some research interests that I very much want to explore, but I will see what the climate feels like should either offer interviews. My current lab director has been a great help in mentoring, and he already has me keen to the "collegial and training model" x-factors that should inform my ultimate decision. Hopefully, I have the luxury of picking a program that feels right for me. Thanks again!