conflicting scores..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4 Ever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my problem:

I am practicing tests and am getting some really different results between the AAMC scores and the review tests I am using. I'll list the scores as following (all within the past 2-3weeks)

Princeton review(Flowers) test 1: 10P-8V-9B (27) Saturday
AAMC 3R : 8P-8V-7B (23) - Saturday
AAMC 4R : 8P-6V-7B (21) - Thursday
Princeton review(flowers) test 2: 11P-8V-10B (29) - Sunday
Kaplan Review Test: 11P-8V-11B (30) - Tuesday

Why is there such a discrepancy between the AAMC tests and the other tests I am taking? (btw the nonAAMC tests are not the revised versions)

I will be taking AAMC 5R and 6R this coming week and am hoping the scores start to get closer to 30 than the previous scores so maybe those other two were flukes? :confused:

any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC official test 4, 5, and 6 are really good indicators as far as I am concerned. Test 3 is ok, but I would not put too much faith in any of the Kaplan, PR, or Berkely tests. The commercial influence in these is really strong. My actual MCAT scores were close to my scores for test 5. Anyways, good luck and take it with a grain of salt.

It's hard to make a perfect impersonation of an MCAT. Test structure, scoring, etc. are all hard to get right when working with imperfect information about test design (which not being the actual test-makers, is a problem for Kaplan, flowers and silver, etc.). I'd view the Kaplan et al as good practice questions, but not take their scoring guidelines too seriously. The AAMC tests are the most accurate predicator of what your actual scores will be. Take 5R and 6R and see how you do-- they are the most accurate predictors.

i just feel like hitting my head against the wall after taking these tests...

in all fairness however, the first princeton test was not taking in one sitting. AAMC 3R and 4R were given considerably more time to work on them but I didnt really focus as much as I should have

with the last two that I have taken, I feel quite more confident coming out of them (except the excrutiating headache i get after taking the verbal - i liked the other order better.. verbal then physical sciences). Also, they were taken in one timed setting and I applied more of the reading strategies that I overlooked ... so who knows, i guess after i do the same with 5R and 6R , I can better guage where I am headed

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE:

Princeton review(Flowers) test 1: 10P-8V-9B (27) Saturday
AAMC 3R : 8P-8V-7B (23) - Saturday
AAMC 4R : 8P-6V-7B (21) - Thursday
Princeton review(flowers) test 2: 11P-8V-10B (29) - Sunday
Kaplan Review Test: 11P-8V-11B (30) - Tuesday
AAMC 5R : 11P-8V-11B (30)- SATURDAY

okay whats with the discrepancy now?

i agree w/ focus. I did a lot worse on the AAMC I and II rather than III, IV, V because I didn't really treat the prior like the real thing