crazy250

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
Does transcription factors and transcription factor binding motif affect the level of gene expression? I know you need TFs to start transcription, but does it affect the LEVEL of gene expression? If not, what does affect the level of gene expression? Thanks for any serious responses.

CH3CH2OH

born to be wild-type
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
in the (cDNA) library
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
hmm, that's probably not the best answer, but the question is pretty complicated...
first, a TF (TBP-TATA Binding Protein) has to bind to the TATA box, the more similar it is to the consensus sequences, the higher the possibility of binding. another factor is of course the activators such as hormones, their presence affects the activity of the transcription factors, and repressors - for the same reason.
i'm not sure about the motifs... but many TFs have more than one...

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by crazy250
Does transcription factors and transcription factor binding motif affect the level of gene expression? I know you need TFs to start transcription, but does it affect the LEVEL of gene expression? If not, what does affect the level of gene expression? Thanks for any serious responses.

Yes, definitely. A TF that has a stronger binding affinity for the promoter/enhancer will result in that gene being transcribed more often. If the TF only has moderate or weak affinity, the gene will not be transcribed as often.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
the level of gene transcription is affected by the altered processivity of the RNA Polymerase. This alteration can result from the interaction of enhancers and repressors.

The TBP in the TFIID complex is only for RNA Polymerase recruitment. So it will not affect the level of transcription. The activators too are used in the RECRUITMENT.

So, there are various enhancers that promote hyperacetylation of the CTDs of DNA strands that cause them to open up more. Repressors are the oppposite ==> they decrease acetylation of the CTDs.

So remember: if acetylation increases, level of DNA transcription also increases.

About the Ads

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
I'm curious - is this stuff that you guys are talking about .... (motifs etc) in either the Kaplan or EK books? If so - I'd be hugely grateful if you could point me to a specific page number in either of these books!

I'm stressin!

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The stuff about the TATA box and enhancers/promoters should be in ANY MCAT prep book. The stuff that thekegalman said is just to prove the point/answer the OP's question. You don't have to know that much detail for the MCAT. :)

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
CH3CH2OH

is not a carbohydrate as indicated in the name/icon/location combo

Its an alcohol...and will not participate in the energy yielding reactions.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.