Confused how to use Anking as first year DO student

Docpepe

Reaction score
Hello!
So I am in my second month thus far as a first year DO student. Everybody swears by the Anking deck but it seems so disconnected from what I am learning right now. I don't know if I am doing anki wrong but it just seems really awkward to be using a step one deck (ie, anking) when I barely have even started brushing these topics. Can somebody please help me, or provide insight on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Anking covers high yield topics that you will see on boards, which if you have good professors who base their lectures around board-relevant material will help you study for both at the same time. Go to browse and look at the tags on the sidebar and create filtered decks that pertain to topics that are being covered in your lectures, and make cards for the stuff that anking doesn't cover that are covered in your lectures

Ok so youre saying even as a first year student some things should be relevant in the deck if my professors are actually sticking to board theme content correct?
Anking covers high yield topics that you will see on boards, which if you have good professors who base their lectures around board-relevant material will help you study for both at the same time. Go to browse and look at the tags on the sidebar and create filtered decks that pertain to topics that are being covered in your lectures, and make cards for the stuff that anking doesn't cover that are covered in your lectures

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so youre saying even as a first year student some things should be relevant in the deck if my professors are actually sticking to board theme content correct?

Yes. From now until you take boards assume that you are learning material that will be on boards. There will be questions on COMLEX 1 and Step 1 that will be from your first few weeks of med school

Hopefully you aren’t doing the whole deck at once? You should start with everything suspended and unsuspend as you have lectures on the topics. Easiest way is to search by tag and unsuspend that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully you aren’t doing the whole deck at once? You should start with everything suspended and unsuspend as you have lectures on the topics. Easiest way is to search by tag and unsuspend that way.
I learned this just a few days ago! I was trying to go through the whole deck because nobody really explained the whole suspend and unspend but now it makes SO MUCH SENSE. Now I see the correlation between boards and beyond, pathoma and every other tag or mention in the cards. Its a cinch.Thanks so much. I do have one question though...

So right now I have a biochem test coming up, and I have been watching all the boards and beyond realvent videos and then unsuspending those cards. However, I was told that I also need to go through the whole Zanki biochem section too before the test. So, am I only supposed to do the cards which I am unsuspending or do I need to be doing those cards AND for example the zanki biochem section. That is the only part I am confused on.

I learned this just a few days ago! I was trying to go through the whole deck because nobody really explained the whole suspend and unspend but now it makes SO MUCH SENSE. Now I see the correlation between boards and beyond, pathoma and every other tag or mention in the cards. Its a cinch.Thanks so much. I do have one question though...

So right now I have a biochem test coming up, and I have been watching all the boards and beyond realvent videos and then unsuspending those cards. However, I was told that I also need to go through the whole Zanki biochem section too before the test. So, am I only supposed to do the cards which I am unsuspending or do I need to be doing those cards AND for example the zanki biochem section. That is the only part I am confused on.
It’s up to you. If you want to hit all that you will need for step 1 then do them all. If you want to just cover what’s in your class then do it that way. It’s more of a preference

Reactions: 1 user
It is also helpful to see the long-term goal, which is that you will likely be doing many of these cards up to your 2nd year of residency, depending on when you take step 3 and what specialty you go into. I just took my in-service exam for residency and several questions showed up that I got correct from doing Anking step 1 cards that I had recently seen. It seems like a lot of material, and it is, but you don't have to learn everything at once. Just unsuspend what you learned for the day in lecture or from videos/reading, and stay consistent with your reviews.

Reactions: 1 user