This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoisthataltruist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, relax. Take a deep breath, smoke a doobie or do whatever you have to do to just RELAX!

Just because you received a B+ doesn't mean you won't get into medical school. Your GPA is still good and you're just a freshmen too, no need to be this neurotic. You are doing just fine, continue to receive high grades from here on out and kill the MCAT.

As for your EC's, there's no need to be rushing everything at once, you should stick to the volunteering you're doing now. Next year you can focus on adding shadowing and if you really want research. Just relax and have fun.

You need to understand that freshmen year only counts for 1/4 of the credits that will ultimately make up your final cGPA and sGPA. Relax. I would honestly go see your schools psychologist to help you deal with these issues.

As far as ECs, finding shadowing is not too difficult. I literally just emailed physicians at the hospital near me that I was interested in shadowing and asked them if they had any time in their day to show me what they do ( I shadowed a Neurosurgeon, Pediatric ER Physician, Neurologist, and Cardio-thoracic Surgeon doing this and published a paper with the Neurosurgeon I shadowed).

Getting involved with kids is not too difficult either. Look at your closest hospital see if they have a pediatric clinic and look up to see if they have volunteer positions (if you don't find it email someone there).

Don't forget about non-clinical volunteering this is also important. You could start tutoring children from disadvantaged background which would look good. Look up after school tutoring in the areas around you and email them saying your interested in being a tutor.

If you are interested in something google it, find a contact, and ask.