Confusion about Research and Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bretzel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see rankings for USNews are split between Research and Primary Care. What sort of research do physicians coming from research medical schools typically do? What sort of career opportunities differ from attending one and not the other? I am just generally confused about which one would be right for me. I want patient interaction, but I think the option of doing studies with patients would be nice as well. I don't want to graduate medical school and be working in a lab, however....Can someone sort me out?

Members don't see this ad.

the research rankings are based on how much nih money the schools get and are a general ranking of the med school's prestige. the primary care rankings really don't have any validity at all. you can do research at virtually any med school in the country, however

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the primary care rankings are rated by patients, not by people who consider the pros and cons of each school. The research rankings are probably what most people are looking for.

if you want to do research, go get PhD, not MD. Thank you

I believe the primary care rankings are rated by patients, not by people who consider the pros and cons of each school. The research rankings are probably what most people are looking for.

in simple words, if patients like the hospital, the hospital must be good. period.